If you could have one of these, would you?

The Things We Ride
daveuprite

Re: If you could have one of these, would you?

Post by daveuprite »

minkyhead wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:31 am
johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 pm
chunky butt wrote:The main thing is, they've got that lecky button. :D
I would sooner kickstart a bike, beats a flat battery, knackered solenoid or a busted starter motor

Kickstart is just as easy
i think batterys are underated john ......1.06 is a prime example :D

covid chat keep well

Great video. Loved that. I've crashed, smashed and drowned my bikes many a time, but never managed to set light to one yet. Gives me something to be working on.... :D
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Just minutely off topic, but re. the discussion about kickstarting dirt bikes...

The magic solution surely is electric start plus a kickstarter. I have both on the Beta and I've needed both. When stalled on a 40 degree upward slope with a deep rut on your left, the last thing you want is to have no button. And when your battery's struggling, or when the bike's wet from a dunk, the last thing you want is no kicker.

So personally I would not now ever want a dirt bike with no button, and preferably not one without a kickstart. Beta now build their bikes without a kicker and they fit only electric start with a lithium battery. Hopefully that's good enough, but I would buy the optional kickstart retro fitting kit, because you never know. 200 euros and 1kg is worth it I reckon.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Snaf MKII wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:37 am There seems to be some confusion in this thread over differing models of 650 XR's, the last of the proper XR650's was water cooled this is an "L" model with air cooled motor. It's a proper dual sport bike from years gone by, I wanted one when I bought the GS Dakar back in 2003 but couldn't find a good one and had quickly discounted the R model.
Would I buy one now, probably not after 17 years of GS Dakar ownership but if I'd bought one then I'd probably be happy to replace it with a new one now. I'd actually replace the GS Dakar like for like now if it were available and would have bought one last year instead of the G310GS.
Exactly what I was going to say Snaf, the bike that Minky is talking about is a much different bike to the 650L. I had a 'L' and I would have another but then I found the Suzuki DR650SE, (also still a current model in USA) and that trumps it for me.
XR650L 27.09.13 002.JPG
XR650L 27.09.13 002.JPG (168.01 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG (151.42 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Attachments
phone 21.02.17 001.jpg
phone 21.02.17 001.jpg (74.58 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
one-legged adventurer
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

think them lithium batterys now are so small i just chuck a spare in my panniers ...id agree one of each would be agood thing but its very rare to see and even more unlikly now as time goes on
irony is new big thumpers in the states are available at around5 grand stirling and some 20 year old thumpers ant far off that here we are stuck a lot ... there really is a big void between the 250s and the 701s that could do with a good fill .....
the old school thumpers have a kind of classic look that i really do like .....
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I had a KTM 640A for a long time and although it had electric a kick was sometimes necessary. I've seen people disappear into melted mush trying to start them and have just walked up to them and started them with a gentle swing--made difficult by the LH kickstart and I needed to stand along side on a rock or similar for height. I was brought up on old British singles and over time you get to learn the technique--but it also needs to be reasonably in tune! These days I need an electric foot. I've tried starting my son's BM with side mounted kickstart--I can hardly turn the thing over!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Watch & learn chaps, watch & learn!

johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

minkyhead wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 pm
chunky butt wrote:The main thing is, they've got that lecky button. :D
I would sooner kickstart a bike, beats a flat battery, knackered solenoid or a busted starter motor

Kickstart is just as easy
i think batterys are underated john ......1.06 is a prime example :D

covid chat keep well

Aye ...Just a jest
All well up here
Love my XR400R-but one day it will need to move on
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”