Would you ever consider owning just a bike?

The Things We Ride
herman

Re:Would you ever consider owning just a bike?

Post by herman »

Bryn wrote:
For the past few months i have been dreaming of getting my first bike, a Honda XL 125, but dreaming is all i can do at the moment as i have no money to get one! I got so desperate that i considered selling my car in order to finance the bike...but then i remembered i live in England and riding in rain/snow/wind/cold can't be too fun so i opted against doing it. Is there ever a time that you would consider owning just a bike and no car?
Not unless you are going to spend the same money as the bike on gear to keep you warm and dry.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Bryn wrote:
For the past few months i have been dreaming of getting my first bike, a Honda XL 125, but dreaming is all i can do at the moment as i have no money to get one! I got so desperate that i considered selling my car in order to finance the bike...but then i remembered i live in England and riding in rain/snow/wind/cold can't be too fun so i opted against doing it. Is there ever a time that you would consider owning just a bike and no car?
I am 50 and never owned one or taken the car test... last tried to drive one in 1981 and got bored so parked it in the jam it was in got out said to my Uncle who was giving me a lesson - "See you later" and walked back got on the bike and never got into one other than as a passenger since.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen

Post by Guest »

Hi Bryn,

It all depends on where you live with regard to proximity to work,shops etc,
I have done it previously,the only problem being the dreaded black ice or even worse snow,we seem to be having more of the latter these days,

Unless your living way out in the sticks,my advice would be to go for it,it improves your skill levels no end riding in a variety of conditions,throttle control,braking etc,plus your not stuck in the inevitable tailbacks that form 'commuting hell' in this farce that goes under the name of the UK transport infrastucture,

If your budget will stretch i recommend some heated gear,(waistcoat,or gloves etc,it makes all the difference,

Lastly,you will need to keep the bike as clean as possible to keep the dreaded corrosion at bay,wash the salt off with cold, not hot water,the hot water only makes it worse?
or use something like 'scottoiler FS365' which is sprayed on the bike before riding to neutralise the salt,

Good luck,and enjoy?

Post by 03001978 »

My brother and I are purely bike owners.

With sensible riding and the correct clothing, you can ride in any weather just do not take any risks.

In saying that, around October I buy a car that is taxed and MOT'd for 6 months and have it as a back up over the winter period favouring the bike. Come the spring, sell the car.

I took a fair time to consider going bike only with the usual considerations of all weather riding, shopping etc...
I ride with oanniers and a top boxat all times so I can do a full supermarket shop on the bike in one trip. But when everything these days can be delivered that isn't a problem.
Any thing bigger hire a van for the day.

Bike only - Oh yes.

CW
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

The time it takes me to unlock the shed, get the bike out, unlock the side gate, wheel the bike to the front of the house and then put all my bike gear on, is just too much hassle for a short journey.
In my car i just get in and go. If its raining i dont get wet and i dont have to spend an hour getting the bike clean again.
My bikes are just toys, my car is my workhorse.
karnevil

Post by karnevil »

03001978 wrote:
My brother and I are purely bike owners.

With sensible riding and the correct clothing, you can ride in any weather just do not take any risks.

In saying that, around October I buy a car that is taxed and MOT'd for 6 months and have it as a back up over the winter period favouring the bike. Come the spring, sell the car.

I took a fair time to consider going bike only with the usual considerations of all weather riding, shopping etc...
I ride with oanniers and a top boxat all times so I can do a full supermarket shop on the bike in one trip. But when everything these days can be delivered that isn't a problem.
Any thing bigger hire a van for the day.

Bike only - Oh yes.

CW

Freak!

:)

Just jokin'
Mark Manley

Post by Mark Manley »

Despite having a full car licence since 1979 I have never owned a car, my bikes have got me to and from work, a commute of between 8 and 16 miles, since 1978. Getting kitted up is a normal part of my daily routine and I don't think about it any more.
I try to have a hack for the winter but enjoy riding either the Triumph or BMW when the weather is better and find the journey to and from work one of the highlights of the day.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I have no commute, out the door into my van, that's me at work. :)

But, i'd like to commute on a bike, must be so many times to take the "long way home" and just enjoy the ride.

Maybe when i'm too old to operate the van i can join some of you guys on the ride to work.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

I've spent 70% of my licenced life with only a bike as transport.

Yes, there are pitfalls, but never enough for me to want to buy a car. The times I've had a car was because work required one and it was definitely handy, but not enough to keep once the requirement passed.

All that said, one learns a lot of ingenuity to manage with ony a bike: bungees are my best friend!!

Right now I have a bike and a sidecar, whoich is probably a bit of a cheat, but riding two wheels over here is not something I relish the thought of, after 4 months of snow and -10 or more last winter!!:blink:
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

You should have posted this question in January.
let the lanterns swing and listen to all the old stories of winter riding
Like getting all the gear on then wheeling the bike out to the street cos your not allowed to start it up in the garden, kick it over again and again until your too hot and sweaty for the onepiece winter overall so you have to take that off, followed by removing your jacket and the b'stard still wont start, going back to the shed for the start pilot and start to shiver as you find every can but the one your looking for finaly getting it started you get dressed again and ride off with wind biting through your gloves till the tips of your fingers are as numb as your toes. Putting your foot down to see how much resistence the road will give before you dare touch the brakes.
Looking back I'm glad I done it but also glad that I no longer have to, as for winter riding I think its a must for all I dont like fair weather riders but I am slowly turning into one with no need to comute any more
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Return to “BIKES”