Post by daveuprite »

Here's how BMW are re-inventing the old R100GS bumblebee:

What d'ya think ?

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/model ... y-.-.-.-.-
OnHellas

Re: The Plight of the Bumblebee

Post by OnHellas »

It looks quite good.

However, it’s not for me. I did the BM thing for 17 years and 200,000 plus miles.
The dealer experience was virtually always lacking in my experience. Then there is the cost element, premium in price for sure......but the product???? Not so sure.

But to those that want one and buy one, enjoy it. Have fun. Go for it.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

If I was going back to BMs it would be an original one for me. I don’t need all the electrickery, flash bits, extra weight, extra complications and expense of the new ones. Having said that it looks good and I can see the appeal. Perhaps I should paint some yellow stripes on my Himalayan.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

It's a good looking retro. I always liked the original colours. But it's an awful lot of cash to shell out for that retro look.

If I wanted something very similar I think I'd look out for an early Nine T (2016 ish) in black and get some yellow decals made up. You could probably make a fairly decent job of it and you'd have about 7 grand left over.

You could use that to pay 2 months rent on a Shoreditch attic apartment, grow a beard and live out the whole hipster scene for a little while.... :D
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

It looks ok--but what use is it??--Starbucks is the limit--NOT like the original (which I had)---it was an ok bike but mine shed all its hardy spicer needles out of the front of the driveshaft--basic design fault with too much angle on the joint. If you look at Dakar entries then they tilted the whole engine up to straighten the driveline angle. The handling was also a bit flexible--didn't like even moderate corner speed--my son's 82 R80 G/S is Soooo much better on all fronts--you don't need a paralever with modest power--just a good rear strut.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

It looks quite nice as a fashion statement, and that's fine by me if that's your thing, but it's not really for me. Moreover, it's probably too complicated for home servicing and general fettling. As for my own BM experiences of some 30 yrs ago, I sold my K100 as I came to realise it had all the character of a sewing machine, and got rid of my R65 as I came to realise was a bit underpowered when push came to shove. I just wish I'd bought an R100 and may well still have it now, if I had.
So much for the bumblebee.... give me a decent Hornet 900 anyday!
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

I like it, and why not :D
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Looks nice but bloody heavy when you drop it in the mud !!!!
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

diggermanbob wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:52 pm Looks nice but bloody heavy when you drop it in the mud !!!!
Doh, never thought of that :?

Return to “BIKES”