2022 KLR 650

The Things We Ride
McVicar

2022 KLR 650

Post by McVicar »

daveuprite

Re: 2022 KLR 650

Post by daveuprite »

Here we go again... It's 220 kgs for god's sake! It's a single cylinder 650! Why on earth is it anything over 160kgs? That's like going everywhere with two sacks of cement on board, but nothing to build.

The Suzuki DR650 was 150kgs 30 years ago !

The current Yamaha T700 is lighter than this KLR and it's a 700cc TWIN !

I've had a few Kawasakis and I like them but their complacency when it comes to dual sports bikes is ridiculous. At long last they bring out a brand new 650 and it's a porker. Could they not learn something from KTM? Anything? It looks like it'll be yet another of those nice comfy safe bikes for touring and days out which pretends to be a bit rufty tufty but isn't. We've already got lots of bikes like that - we don't need another one do we?
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Why do you always have to be so negative?-its not an enduro bike and weight is not that important----its just an uprated version of the model that has been about for many years--nothing wrong with slow evolution--and its popular in the US--just look at the price!. Its a shame that Kawa won't be bringing it into the UK as far as I understand it as they can't be bothered with the homologation issues(I've asked before)--such a shame-but now with Brexit under way maybe they might for the uk only. Note the fuel tank capacity, the seat height, the price etc--its a round the world bike of choice and always has been. I had one in the US and toured extensively on it--and would consider another one here in the UK if the price is kept low. (209 kgs according to my maths BUT weight can vary depending on the state of the bike--fully dry or fully wet with a full tank and oils etc --I don't know how they have quoted so won't judge!)
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Xchallenge Dave....148kg.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I don't know why you're so content to put up with piss poor performance, Cactus...

Is it really acceptable that a brand new 650 single weighs more than a 700cc twin? (And the Yam T7 is hardly a supermodel itself).

I wouldn't want it as a round the world bike, because picking it up out of sand multiple times on your own somewhere in the Sahel would kill you. Especially with a full tank and RTW luggage.

Why is it OK that exactly the same kind of bike weighed SEVENTY kilos less THIRTY years ago? Phil's donk can go almost anywhere and it's twiggy compared to this obese (i.e. tory for 'fat') object. Weight matters a lot on motorbikes.

I'm not comparing it to an enduro bike - I know that's not what it's for - but dual sport should not necessarily mean soft, lazy and heavy. It's only 30kgs shy of a GS1250 hefalump, for crying out loud.

The only two things in its favour I can see are the price, which is properly cheap, and the low key colours which make it less likely to be noticed/nicked on that RTW trip.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I guess you won't be buying one then!--you certainly won't get one in the EU----and why bother to comment at length if you simply don't like it--we can all read the spec sheet!. The original post was simply for info --and I for one appreciate the effort and will make up my own mind (as a previous owner and traveller on an earlier version)--it has been in the Kawa line up for years as I said, its not new at all--simply updated a bit and has an excellent reputation as a long distance travel bike which will handle some dirt. The reality is that Kawasaki have responded to their BIG US customer base and modernised it a bit--and according to you they have it all wrong !--and please note my forum name --we've had enough banter on other subjects for you to show some respect.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Calm down Dave, it's 208 kg kerbweight which is only a couple more than the 660 tenerlady single, plenty of folks have managed to go places on those and in the US at least the old KLR had a big following.

It's a cheap workhorse bike, probably run forever on not much fuel or maintenance .

I owned the small tank 'euro' model, KLR650C, not a bad bike and actually perfectly capable on easyish trails, suspension was basic but up to the job within limits.

Yes many of us would like to see a reasonably priced lightish modern Jap dualsport/trailie but let's face it, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.. :roll:

Chunky you do know the X challenge is only 148 kg before you add the bling... :lol:
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I like it and the weight wouldn't bother me at all for use as an all-roads travelling bike, maybe even hitching a chair to it. Seen plenty of current/old KLR's ridden by Americans, and they very largely had not much bad to say about them, they seemed to be viewed as ultra-reliable at a low cost. I like the fact there's a non-ABS option, too. But - I do tend to agree it's somewhat odd how this type of bike has put on a lot of weight over the years, with say the original tenere at some 50kg less , even tho' the KLR is watercooled.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

It’s a shame though isn’t it .
SWM anyone?
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I’m surprised it’s so heavy when looking at the spindly conventional front forks. Also, the routing of the rear brake hose looks like a poor DIY job. Shame really.

Return to “BIKES”