Quadro4 - NOT a quad...

The Things We Ride
soho

Re: Quadro4 - NOT a quad...

Post by soho »

Another interested party "leaning in here" just for interest sake. There was one of these on French plates parked daily round the corner from me for quite a long time. Must belong to someone working from home now as I haven't seen it for months. I always wanted to have a close up gawp at it, but you just don't hang around other peoples bikes where I live without attracting negative attention. :o

What I like is your enthusiasm for doing something to a ride that is not entirely suited for the purpose you intend to task it with !
Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

hotbulb the Tapatalk issue is fixed now, awesome!

soho thanks for your input.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

I've been deciding about the handlebars and I bought a set of switches and throttle etc to test fit but I decided it won't add any value to the performance or operation of the bike apart from possibly fitting off road hand guards so I'm going to hold off on that mod for now. I ordered a different throttle housing and cables to give clearance for the brake lever as described before then that'll be completed.

My Christmas present indicators came and were beautiful but 1 was faulty. Then they had no more stock of the ones I had so i had to find different style or leave it but I ordered different ones which are ok and smaller so less protrusive. I started fitting them as well as the automatic brake light module and the lights are great for some reason the OEM brake light isn't coming on now. Maybe it was the bright daylight and I couldn't tell but it's either on constantly or not coming on from running lights but I need to test this further if the rain lets up.

And I did some more calculations and I might be able to modify a Suzuki Burgman clutch to fit my bike giving more bite and heat resistance off road which would be highly appreciated. The Q4 is a heavy machine and the stock clutch slips a lot on take off so stop starting is hard on it.

Hopefully more to update soon I'm glad Tapatalk is working again and thanks to the admins for fixing it.

Cheers,
Tyler

Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

So I managed to squeeze some CAD work in over lunch and finished my skid plate design today. Weather sucks in the UK at the moment so not sure if I'll get chance to cut it but soon...

The plate will fit the full length under the frame and engine up to the silencer and the idea is it allows the bike to hit and slide over rocks or ground. It is not rigid or thick, only 1.2mm stainless which still weights more than I like but it's a long bike. I might trim it down on the sides but I like the full protection.

I also measured up for a titanium exhaust can and using the skid plate off cuts to fabricate a hanger bracket it works out almost perfectly! I'm undecided if I'll make the header up myself or get a skilled fab shop to do it, TBC.

Pics aren't uploading for some reason... I think it's the server failing to compress the files. Only about 1 in 3 will upload.

Cheers,
Tyler
Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Well hello folks. The weather has been particularly lowsy recently and looks to be getting worse over the next fortnight...
My bike's outside unfortunately, too much stuff in the garage.

But I managed to squeeze a couple short lunches in relative warmth and dry to work on my throttle setup. I was trying to fit a Vespa GTS300 twin cable throttle to replace the stock Quadro setup for clearance for the adjustable brake lever but I couldn't fit and route the cables well.

So I had bought a bargain Honda 125 scoot single cable throttle 'just in case' and it is perfect. Well almost, it's actually better but has a larger 8mm cable body Vs the 6mm on the Q4 throttle body. I was toying with modifying the cable body or the throttle cable bracket but I decided as always the best option was keep all service items stock and modifications reversible. So I fabricated a new throttle cable bracket with single cable mount for 8mm body out of stainless steel. It's roughed and test fitted waiting to be finished.

I'm hoping for a sunny weekend soon so I can spend more than 2hrs outside to CAD up my skid plate and cut it to shape for a first fit. Maybe even finish it and be able to reassemble the bike for a short ride.

Then I'll also have the deliberate off cuts to fabricate my new exhaust bracket and get the titanium silencer mounted and hopefully visit a very friendly and talented exhaust man to make up a new header so the engine can breathe better. I'm undecided whether to try fabricate the header myself but I only have a basic gasless MIG welder so the cost and effort is almost not worth it Vs getting a properly well made header built that will likely perform better also. I'll make a decision when I have to closer to the time.

Oh of course, I bought a k&n panel filter for a Toyota RAV4 which is the same size as stock on the Q4 so intake will be improved already. I'll get that in when I put the throttle assembly back together...

Cheers,
Tyler

Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

So hello again. It's been slow going through winter with no warm dry place to work on my bike but I had a bumper weekend.

Firstly I measured up, customised and fitted a Suzuki AN400 CVT transmission assembly including aftermarket Malossi performance Vario and secondary spring. The rear pulley and clutch were never meant to fit my bike but there was only 3mm in it.

So basically the clutch assembly is 1mm wider than the Q4, but the outer bearing is also 2mm deeper set than the Q4, meaning the clutch bell needed to be spaced out 3mm (for 1mm clearance). I repurposed the extra thick washer used on the primary pulley (not required since the AN400 pulley has a steel centre) and bored it out (by hand/Dremel) to fit the shaft

And the carrier bearing in the clutch cover needed to be recessed to match. I carefully manually end milled the housing out with the Dremel and polished the bore out as it was hellish getting that bearing out to begin with...

Finally the carrier bearing nut had to be shortened to fit the shallower recess... Angle grinder cutting disc required to go through the hardened nut!

Then as mentioned the Vario assembly went in like a charm, they are interchangeable. But the Malossi kit for the AN400 comes with 16g rollers Vs my stock 10g in the Q4. Somewhat to compensate for the stiffer secondary spring but not ideally suited to the heavier and less powerful Q4. I took a short test ride before modifying the clutch cover and the engagement was too fast, not letting the engine get over peak torque. But take off and initial pick up were very good and super smooth. So I swapped out half the 16g rollers for the stock 10g rollers giving equivalent to 13g rollers which should be perfect for the road. It might be better to go to all 10g for off road technical stuff but I'm betting on the improved clutch performance and lower gearing to compensate and mitigate this. Otherwise the bike would get rather revvy due to the heavier secondary spring.

Cheers,
Tyler

Last edited by Bikerboysmiler on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

And like I said, bumper weekend... I also started work on the skid plate. It's coming together great although sadly as suspected I cannot fully fit it as desired with the stock exhaust in place. The header hangs low down and had a massive clamp in the way... But first, taking the CAD template from the design session I scribed up the stainless sheet (no marker I've tried writes on SS, not even Sharpies...) to be cut out. Then I pre-drilled the front mounting holes and corners of cut outs and took the sides off with the angle grinder. Stainless steel is tough to work with but so rewarding.

Then having marked my bend lines I rigged up a sleeper post as a clamp on the edge of the work bench and folded the sides of the plate up. Worked well though I'd love to have used a press break...

Now I'm stuck, I don't want to mock up mounting solutions with the exhaust in the way and causing interference.

So hopefully soon restrictions will ease and I can visit the exhaust guy to make up a custom header with much more clearance for the skid plate. I need to fabricate the exhaust hanger from the skid plate off cuts also, that is also already designed.

Cheers,
Tyler

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Wow.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Thought you said you hadn't been busy, looking good to me ;)
Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Thanks folks. Well this was only 2 half days rather than a day a week if I had a warm place to work... But good progress I suppose.

I'm tempted to try make the exhaust myself but I'd prefer a perfectly formed header tucked up tight which is struggle to do without a pipe bender and a decent enough one will cost too much. Plus I don't have a gas welder so it'd be messy too.

I don't know, desperate times might over rule that...

Cheers,
Tyler

Return to “BIKES”