Quadro4 - NOT a quad...

The Things We Ride
Bikerboysmiler

Re: Quadro4 - NOT a quad...

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Thanks guys.

Asgard you are correct that there are more pivot points but fortunately they are standard bearings and rose joints so easy to maintain or replace. Longevity depends on the quality of materials in the end. I will add to the maintenance post but I've changed a few parts with this in mind. Trouble is the bike is made to a cost (not reflecting it's retail price but that's a separate matter) and so everything is somewhat compromised from new. The bearings are ok but not too quality NSK or NTN or SKF etc and will have a limited life expectancy but I will replace with the best as I go. They are all catalogue sizes so even should the worst happen and fail somewhere away from hope a replacement can be found.

And I'll say again, adventure is a personal viewpoint, this is 'just' a scooter with cleverly engineered leaning 4 wheel suspension, beyond that is my customisation to make it anything more. So I must overcome limitations like ground clearance or CVT performance etc for using it differently to design. But it has all the potential I need and it is brilliant to ride so I'm going for it.

Hopefully it can inspire some others to do so also, and either way these are great bikes and worth a look if anyone is interested in a comfortable economical and safe commuter machine.

Cheers
Tyler
Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

PS, I can't get into the forum through Tapatalk app, anybody know why?
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Hey Tyler, people have been pointing out potential issues with your bike as an offroader. However, it's your bike and your adventure. Enjoy it the best you can, sort problems as you go along and have a whole load of fun.
Happy Christmas.
Not all those wandering are lost
Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Thank you pinball1008. I don't mind constructive feedback, I am fully aware of the limitations of my scooter for off-road use and am experienced in all ranges of adventure biking and the requirements. This is never meant to be the extreme off road machine but is highly capable and I want to equip it to take advantage of all it's potential and mitigate destroying it using that potential haha.

I'm a bit slow updating the thread since I'm on my phone and can't connect to the forum using Tapatalk after the first 2 days of being a member... Hopefully that gets resolved.

But I have some updates. I have modified and fitted my adjustable brake levers, I think they look great and the adjustment is brilliant. To fit them I needed to change the throttle because the standard unit has a large bulky bracken to retain the cables and that obstructs closing of the lever due to the adjuster. But all fitted and ready for road test, but other bits are in pieces for upgrades etc. Few pics for reference:

Standard Vs unmodified adjustable lever.
Unmodified adjustable lever.
Unmodified adjustable lever.
IMG_20201227_102006045.jpg (179.25 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Standard Vs adjustable levers (modified).
Standard Vs adjustable
Standard Vs adjustable
IMG_20201227_133903257.jpg (189.13 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Adjustable lever interference on standard throttle cable housing.
Throttle interference
Throttle interference
IMG_20201227_115330096_HDR.jpg (166.07 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
I will post a finished pic in the start of the thread when all back together.

I've also been looking more into fitting aftermarket Motorcross type handlebars, meaning I must make a bracket to replace the standard fabricated handlebars on the Q4 (no fork yolks or handlebar clamps remember, it has a steering column like a quad, but it's NOT a quad...) and mount the standard 22mm / 7/8" handle bars. That will mean replacing the switchgear also as the Q4 switches are integral to the handlebar surround. But I'll make a bracket first and find suitable handlebars before I worry about what switches to buy and changing over the wiring to fit the Q4. I try to keep modifications reversible wherever practical. More to come.
Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Oh some other progress, my redesigned CVT intake manifold arrived just before Christmas and looks perfect, waiting to refit the transmission then it can go on but test fitted into the CVT cover and it looks just right.
CVT intake manifold
CVT intake manifold
IMG_20201229_105939322.jpg (186.58 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
(Sorry it is upside down...)
IMG_20201218_084451128.jpg
IMG_20201218_084451128.jpg (176.04 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
I'll add the pipework to intake above and behind the pillion seat when I fit it all, but here is MK1 for reference. Note the redesigned lugs and a return lip on the I side to locate and close off the edge to significant water ingress. It is not intended to be watertight just prevent flooding of the transmission housing.
MK1 manifold and pipe
MK1 manifold and pipe
IMG_20201122_103428847.jpg (179.29 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
dazcoates

Post by dazcoates »

Doing a lot of work there and in sure once you get it sorted it will be just fine for what you want it for .๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Hi dazcoates
Thanks for the reassurance and feedback.

I'm not being very good at keeping this up to date but here's a little more progress. Firstly the CVT snorkel is installed, to the same height as the airbox intake to simplify pipework.

Manifold
IMG_20201231_122611148_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201231_122611148_HDR.jpg (190.73 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
Intake hiding beneath the seat and body panels
IMG_20201231_122253519.jpg
IMG_20201231_122253519.jpg (190.77 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
I also started CAD design for my sump guard. That's Cardboard Aided Design, since it's a simple 2d sheet and quicker and more accurate to template in card and test fit them just cut to shape... Actually it is more than a sump guard, more like a chassis belly pan as it will run from between the front wheels ahead of the radiator all the way under the engine and exhaust header to the start of the silencer between the rear wheels. It isn't rigidly structural but more like a skid plate to allow the bike to slide over any large obstacles on the trails.
IMG_20201231_132919369_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201231_132919369_HDR.jpg (178.91 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
I looked at getting a Louvre punching tool but they are far more expensive that I expected for my 1 off requirement so I will form the shape in a block of hard wood and simple panel beat it to shape (that's hit it with a big hammer into the shape of the form...) and I will only put a few in to allow some air to vent down out the plate but minimise compromising the strength and continuous surface of the skid plate. It's a bigger job to finish and fabricate than the weather will allow right now so it'll be little while longer before it gets finished. But I'm not going bushwhacking any time soon anyway.

I also measured up for replacing my handlebars with some MX aluminium bars and bought a handlebar mount for which I'll fabricate a steel bracket to fit my steering column. And I need different switches for this also so they are on order. More to come once I have the bracket fabricated.

Hopefully Tapatalk will be up and running so I can update the posts easier. Anybody know how to contact an admin on the forum please?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'm following this with interest...keep it going!
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Very interesting. I can't quite figure the angle of the pipe but might I make a suggestion that you put a downward facing elbow on the end of the pipe to stop 'things' getting in to the breather.

In answer to your question, at the very bottom of the screen under the T shirt banner is an envelope symbol with the words "Contact us". I have used that in the past.

TTFN

Hugh.
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

I'm enjoying this... when

i can get in with Tapatalk or get to the PC. Does anyone know any more about the tapatalk problem?

Return to โ€œBIKESโ€