Quadro4 - NOT a quad...

The Things We Ride
Bikerboysmiler

Re: Quadro4 - NOT a quad...

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Well that sucks, I've been so lax updating this and barely used the bike. Probably modified it more than ridden and that's hardly saying much.

But did a bit of custom work to fit bar end hand guards to a new set of MX handlebars.

Next I need to fabricate the steering block to mount these handlebars. And mount the new brake master cylinders and switches to go with, including rewiring the switches to match my harness.

I'm also going to mount a BMW K1300 seat for more comfort and space. And a spare fuel can for longer distances and running out twice crossing Spain last year sucked...

cheers
Tyler

Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

So you took it across Spain. Tell us more about running out of petrol. What’s the range at the moment? What did you have to do?
👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Godspeed wrote:So you took it across Spain. Tell us more about running out of petrol. What’s the range at the moment? What did you have to do?
I had to ride to Portugal last June because the ferries weren't running yet. It was tough, not the fastest machine and it's only got a 14l tank and iffy fuel level gauge, few too many up hills on a tank and range drops by 20km and the gauge doesn't show it and up the next hill the pump can't pick up and the engine starves and dies.

So I was getting 190-220km on a tank (-13% speedo error) which isn't enough. It was windy as well and the bike is quite big and not the most efficient.

Thankfully the old man was tootling along with me on his T7 and ran ahead to a fuel station to get a small can of fuel. Second time he was less impressed and on our race to catch the ferry home he was quite frustrated Image but he was great and happy to tootle along at 50-60mph behind me the whole 2500mls to get there and back to the ferry.

The actual trip round Portugal was spectacular, no motorway or dual carriageway allowed and all the best twisties and beautiful black top! No problem pinning the throttle because there were few occasions to exceed 120kph/75mph.

But I learned a lot about the bike also. It's capable but under powered (I knew but...) and the riding position is great round town but a bigger bloke like me on a long trip really is a bit cramped. And the brakes are great but the master cylinder is too small and the calipers need regular maintenance.

Many of these things are corrected on the newer model (which incidentally I have one now) but this is my adventure bike and I'm developing it for that, the new bike will be a road bike. So I'll try keep this updated.

I hope to ride some of the TET this summer, probably up Yorkshire way with more gravel and trails easier for the bike.

cheers
Tyler

Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

I've realised that I haven't posted a bunch of mods I rushed through before the Portugal trip so I'll dig out the photos and post those later.

cheers
Tyler

Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Wow, well I guess it's later... And I'm just seeing how many mods happened before the trip last year that I didn't post.

So here's a few photos then I'll skim through the mods and on to the latest and pending mods to the bike.ImageImageImageImage

cheers
Tyler

Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

So before the trip I did the following:

- Mirrors incl indicators
- spot lights off indicator mounts
- Seat reshape, gel pad and raised foam (not so successful, the base is just the wrong shape for my large frame, but more to come)
- custom full SS header pipe and standard 52mmslip on silencer fitment so also a straight through can.
- 16g rollers and Malossi variator and clutch (didn't test enough and bike was over geared for hills unfortunately)

Otherwise I should have had an extra fuel can (as mentioned) and for luggage I put heavy valuable tools and spares under the seat, personals and toiletries in the top box and just a roll bag of extra stuff, mostly what I was carrying to give a friend (other Qooder in pic) on the trip.

The bike performed well, besides the gearing difficulty and low top speed. and the near constant high throttle reverberated the rivets apart in the silencer sadly. I had to swap with my old man's T7 can for the trip home.

Not a lot happened after the trip, except I visited my exhaust man who made me a custom, tuned hi flow silencer in full stainless so nearly indestructible it definitely perked up the mid range and the engine screams at full throttle with notable improved performance.

I visited the ABR festival and rode a bit but the bike has sat mostly since unfortunately. So save the handlebars mod I started showing here's what's coming:

1: skid plate will be installed before ABR festival 2022 (25 June)
2: an entirely new seat, stock BMW K1300 series on a bespoke frame and OEM securing.
3: fuel can mount for longer trips
4: aforementioned handlebars mod including
- new switch gear with added functions
- ATV rear brake master cylinder with lever park brake (hydraulic).
- Brembo radial master cylinder
- bar end mirrors and hand guards
- DRL lights in hand guards
4a: radial front brake calipers on custom brackets and modified Carbon Lorraine pads.
5: remanufactured rear silencer to improve noise cancelling but maintain air flow.
6: remake or upgrade road book holder for future trips.
7 suspension refresh, new oil weights to tweak damping, increasing ride height a little.
8: linked HTS lower cylinders for balance and comfort, sharper steering and lean.

And no doubt I'll find more to do. pics later

cheers
Tyler

Bikerboysmiler

Post by Bikerboysmiler »

Finally, the skid plate is mounted folks. I think it gives a bit of cooling improvement at speed thanks to the aero effect under the engine and low pressure behind pulling air through the radiator because in spite of higher temperatures in the UK this week, the gauge stays low until I sit at lights then it's climbing quickly to trigger the fan. Normally the fan would run even at low speeds to keep the temperature managed.

Anyway, here it is all shaped with tabs bent and clearance for the body panels to mount.

It is bolted to the frame up front in 4 points then the rear is suspended from the engine with a rubber mount to allow separate movement and if the plate takes a hit it will deflect up and the sump will support it, allowing the bike to slide over whatever obstacles.

Not easy to show, I'll lean the bike over and get a better pic another time.

cheers
Tyler

Return to “BIKES”