What’s happened to all the cheap bikes

The Things We Ride
chunky butt

Re: What’s happened to all the cheap bikes

Post by chunky butt »

OnHellas wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:40 pm
daveuprite wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:36 pm A very good question. It's really hard to get an honest cheap run-around or even a field bike.

Look at this for instance:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-Kawasak ... SwV2Nfxjoi

A total pile of turd and there are 30 bidders!
I don’t know whats worse.
The person trying to sell it.
The people bidding on it.
The fact that you found it and wasted your time posting a link on here.
Or that I clicked on the link and looked at ALL of the photos!!!

Bloody hell!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: guess who's just clicked on the link?
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

We've sold a few bikes this year to make way for new ones, one had only been used once in ten years and had remained unsold at the advertised £750 ten years ago but sold for £1950 this year.
gothbiker

Post by gothbiker »

I’ve been looking around for something about 15-20 years old, not many electrics,carb fed, just for a bit of fun, too many bikes far too complex, old ccms have shot up, xt and ttr Yamaha’s have gone stupid!
Let’s see what I can find! I even looked at crf450 hondas just not too sure how reliable for road use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Buy it Steve - you know it makes sense. Besides you've got to be at least 2 bikes light at the moment and you haven't spent a penny on bling recently.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Snaf MKII wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:54 pm
OnHellas wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:40 pm
daveuprite wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:36 pm A very good question. It's really hard to get an honest cheap run-around or even a field bike.

Look at this for instance:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-Kawasak ... SwV2Nfxjoi

A total pile of turd and there are 30 bidders!
I don’t know whats worse.
The person trying to sell it.
The people bidding on it.
The fact that you found it and wasted your time posting a link on here.
Or that I clicked on the link and looked at ALL of the photos!!!

Bloody hell!!!
Did you not look at all the other stuff he had for sale whilst you were at it? I did :lol:
I hadn’t, but I like being part of the gang here so I went back again so I feel like I fit in.....as Nan would say ....” Whadda load of old SHIT!”
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I8 months ago I bought a used Himalayan for less than £3k that was still in warranty and just had it's 3k mile service done ....... they are out there.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Well here’s a couple, possibly a bit left field but they are out there for sure.

First Yamaha Fazer FZS600 2000 model with 9000 genuine miles on the clock. Goes lovely, at least as well as it looks, £1950.
Then there’s my latest bike. A1999 Suzuki SV650S with a genuine 617 miles from new! £2495

The Yam was on Autotrader, the Suz was on eBay. Both for less than a new CRF250. They are out there, but they don’t turn up on your doorstep, you have to make an effort. Have fun searching
😁
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Slowboy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:17 am Well here’s a couple, possibly a bit left field but they are out there for sure.

First Yamaha Fazer FZS600 2000 model with 9000 genuine miles on the clock. Goes lovely, at least as well as it looks, £1950.
Then there’s my latest bike. A1999 Suzuki SV650S with a genuine 617 miles from new! £2495

The Yam was on Autotrader, the Suz was on eBay. Both for less than a new CRF250. They are out there, but they don’t turn up on your doorstep, you have to make an effort. Have fun searching
😁
I wouldn't say that those are cheap, good bikes and good value but not cheap. You can get a new SV650 for £5.5k on the road with 3yrs warranty.
I guess there may have been less bikes sold in the last ten or so years of financial crisis hence less second hand ones.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

But if you take slowboy's SV650 for example, which is an excellent little sports/road bike, it's really good value when you consider that Suzuki did little in the way of development on that model during its life - so a much later or even new SV will ride and feel very similarly to a 1999 bike. When that happens, you'd might as well save cash and buy the old one, especially if you find one with incredibly low mileage like this (how on earth has it only racked up 600 miles in 20 years?).

OK, it's not a cheapie, like £500 cheap, but a quick search on ebay shows that you really can't get much more than early chinese cheese-framed rubbish for that money, or a jap bike basically for parts only.

The trick to finding good really low-price hack bikes, IMO, is to get rid of any idea of buying an iconic or popular bike. You may have to abandon pretensions of slick-handling cool looking bikes, but you can save a fortune. So if you want a 600cc for road use, forget an R6 and buy a GSX600F Teapot. They have a dull reputation, so just £800 will buy you this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-gsx60 ... SwoS9fwkqY

A good R6 of the same era (5eb / 5sl) will cost £2-£2.5k. And if you only truly want to get to work and back, or if you want to ride through winter, the teapot would be better probably.

There are loads of other examples like this, where casting off fashion and optimal handling can save a lot of cash, to spend on tyres and fuel. An old UK mate of mine recently had £3-£4k to spend on a litre sporty-ish bike and asked me to look on ebay. He was looking at MY2005 Fireblades and such like. But he's not a natural sports bike rider and I knew he wouldn't use the performance of a CBR1000RR, so I pointed him to a nice silver 2003 Triumph Daytona 955i which he fell in love with and bought for £1900. Suits him down to the ground, does maybe 70% of what the Blade can do on most roads and costs less to insure. He's about to buy a DR350 and some dirt-kit with the money he saved.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Nail on the head there Dave. If you look for something less fashionable, less nickable, that doesn't ride the bike for you but still performs better than most average riders then there are bikes out there at 'sock draw' money.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “BIKES”