New Honda CRF300 L and CRF300 Rally

The Things We Ride
JtheLakes

Re: New Honda CRF300 L and CRF300 Rally

Post by JtheLakes »

By now I thought I would be reviewing my new Honda CRF 300 and making a comparison against my old 250. I ordered the new bike on 26th November, expecting it late January early Feb. Yesterday I was informed that Honda would not be making any more deliveries of either the L or Rally to the dealer during March. But still no actual date when they will deliver.
I find it unbelievable that Honda, who make their bikes in their own factory in Thailand, cannot work out how many bikes it spits out each day and then simply cannot allow for the fact that a container ship takes 30 days to travel to the UK. So very good bikes but bloody awful logistics.
So if you want one, you may have to wait a while.
However if you want a rear rack for one, try BikerBitz in Thailand. Order on a Monday and get it Friday.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Could they not just have attached the bike to the rack and send them both together? ,🙂
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Honda will prioritise markets where

1) They can maximise profit per unit....container shipment costs to the UK have increased by several 100 per cent since last year, so this market isn't one of them

2) That are fast-growing, and they can't afford to let competitors get bigger than they are....this market isn't one of them either. They can just sit at the top and need to do very little to stay there.

Honda saw the UK as a vital market to command on its way to dominate the global motorcycle market...but that was in the 1960s when the UK's mc industry was in itself a global force. We are just a sideshow now between the high-value American market and the high-volume Asian one.

I think the UK is still important to the likes of KTM or Beta, but not to the Japanese. Essentially, they are done here.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

My mate got a 300L a couple of weeks ago, he's chomping at the bit to get out on it :roll:
one-legged adventurer
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:48 pm Honda will prioritise markets where

1) They can maximise profit per unit....container shipment costs to the UK have increased by several 100 per cent since last year, so this market isn't one of them

2) That are fast-growing, and they can't afford to let competitors get bigger than they are....this market isn't one of them either. They can just sit at the top and need to do very little to stay there.

Honda saw the UK as a vital market to command on its way to dominate the global motorcycle market...but that was in the 1960s when the UK's mc industry was in itself a global force. We are just a sideshow now between the high-value American market and the high-volume Asian one.

I think the UK is still important to the likes of KTM or Beta, but not to the Japanese. Essentially, they are done here.
Honda gave 3 bikes to Steph Jeavons - 1 to auction to pay for her continuous travels. She now has a fleet of 300s for her next venture. No slight on Steph , I think she’s amazing, but this shows that marketing is a complex thing - not just about countries. The WWW is changing everything and Honda, as ever, are on the ball.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Indeed, Steph has a world-wide presence, both on the web and also wherever she happens to be.
johnnyboxer

New Honda CRF300 L and CRF300 Rally

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:Honda will prioritise markets where

If the Japs are done here, then why did Yamaha choose to do the public T700 European (and worldwide) launch .......in the uk at the ABR festival in July 2019

A very important bike to Yamaha and unveiled to the world’s public and bike buyers in the UK ??

Uk launch was before mainland Europe by 2-3 weeks and before Oz by a few months and a whole year before the USA to experience the T7

(Weeks after the European press debut and we rode the same bikes as the Press got to ride)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Perhaps it was a timing thing.
But it goes to show that there are no ‘markets’ as far as marketing is concerned....... The WWW has changed everything.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Flipflop wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:28 am Perhaps it was a timing thing.
But it goes to show that there are no ‘markets’ as far as marketing is concerned....... The WWW has changed everything.
Volvo are hopeful that is the case after it pledged to become a digital only retailer by 2030. Let's face it people are buying bikes and cars 'unseen' with the click of a button and doorstep delivery within days ............ who would have thought that 5 years ago.
Personally I watch more YouTube and videos than I watch normal TV and would probably buy something that I've seen in 'real world' use than some traditional lifestyle/badge based advert.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
JtheLakes

Post by JtheLakes »

Thanks for all the comments. I knew that container prices had gone up but according to The Economist, they have risen threefold in 2021, so as you say they may be reducing supply to the UK to ship to another better market where they can make better margin. Their dealers must be really chuffed about that!
Steph Jeavons deserves her three bikes after what she’s done for Honda. And ‘Itchy Boots’ has bought a second hand CRF250 in South Africa and has restarted her adventures. All it needs is for Ben King to restart again in Pakistan.

Return to “BIKES”