New Honda CRF300 L and CRF300 Rally

The Things We Ride
bowber

Re: New Honda CRF300 L and CRF300 Rally

Post by bowber »

sphbristol wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:02 am It wasn't a direct comparison, its just the three bikes i'm considering next.
Strangely, I have a 701, my wife has a T7 and I'd seriously consider the CRF300.
I like the 701 but it has it's problems, mainly reliability issues, I'd not very confident it'll do a high mileage and with some of the noises it makes I often wonder if I'll make it home, but it is competent off road and is happy at modern road speeds.
The T7 is the other way round, competent on road and will do limited off road.
While the CRF doesn't have the same power I don't think I'd be too bothered these days, off road it has plenty, on road who can honestly say they can break the speed limit and not expect to get a ticket these days. So while it'll not rip your arms out it's still capable of getting you places at a good road speed and it's very unlikely to break down.
A bit of work on the suspension and I think I'd be happy on one, maybe in a year or so when they become available second hand.

Steve
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I haven,t been on this site for a couple of years and have owned a Royal Enfield Himalayan for about 18 months. Whilst it is a well planted very good handling and capable bike both on the road and off i have to say although the bike carries it,s weight well and has a lowish centre of gravity it does weigh 199kg fully fuelled. I am not fixated by power and would prefer good road manners,luggage carrying capability and something that will get me off road far enough to be able to wild camp and do a few easy gravel tracks. The new Honda CRF300L Rally looks like it will do everything i need.
1. 153kg kerb weight(46kg less than the Himalayan)
2. Good fuel economy(on par with the Himalayan)
3. Six speed gearbox with a high 6th for relaxed riding on the road.(Himalayan has decent well spaced gears but only five which is a bit low because of the limited engine power)
4. Honda has 27 bhp (Himalayan around 24.5bhp) but obviously the Honda has better power to weight ratio and as far as i am concerned a friendly engine that wouldn,t get a knackered unfit 60 year old into trouble.
5.Has a screen,the screen frame can be easily used to mount a GPS on and a 12 volt power socket.(Himalayan has a screen but GPS mount and power socket although easy to do has to be added to the list of things to do.)
6. Honda price £6039 (Himalayan £4200 which is a cracking price but i am now in a position where the money isn,t the limiting factor but my age and lack of ability.
7. Fuel capacity of the Honda is now 12.8 litres which is more than enough for most foreign and uk travel between fuel stations (Himalayan around 15 litres but no huge advantage)
I have looked at several bikes but the Honda seems to tick all the boxes especially when H2C the far east aftermarket Honda outlet start making pannier frames and luggage racks. I am pretty sure i am going to order a Honda 300 rally very shortly.
sphbristol

Post by sphbristol »

So i had a test ride on the 701 and the T700 back to back. Loved the T700, it just felt right, but i wouldn't want to do too much of the TET on it. The 701 felt like it was going to fall apart, abs warning light on, fan kicked in after 2 minutes, my left leg was sweating from the exhaust heat, engine sounded like an old tractor.

I might just have to wait until the end of year for a 300 rally.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

sphbristol wrote:So i had a test ride on the 701 and the T700 back to back. Loved the T700, it just felt right, but i wouldn't want to do too much of the TET on it. The 701 felt like it was going to fall apart, abs warning light on, fan kicked in after 2 minutes, my left leg was sweating from the exhaust heat, engine sounded like an old tractor.

I might just have to wait until the end of year for a 300 rally.
T700 will do a lot more of the TET than you think it will
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The weight is an interesting number if correct. We have just picked up a very good BMW G650 Xchallenge (now with Ohlins rear and a bigger rad plus other farkles)--and the weight is 147kg. I have a WR250R with bigger tank and that is more than capable of decent trips. The Honda price and weight have both crept up a bit, but still good value for a new bike, but not so sure about overall value when you search around the secondhand market--especially if you intend to throw it at the scenery a bit.
JtheLakes

Post by JtheLakes »

I said I would update the Forum when I got my bike. The 300 Rally arrived from North West Honda on Wednesday, 5 months after ordering it, replacing my CRF250 Rally. The dealer transferred the Ohlins rear shock but the new front spring is longer so would not go across (ordered a YSS front spring subsequently from BikerzBits). The tail tidy is also different on the 300 as well as the seat and rear brake lever.
I took it for a 200 mile ride on Thursday and Friday travelling over Salter Fell to Skipton, Masham and over to Hawes following the TET. So what can I tell you? It rained, a lot and ‘no’ those waterproof gloves you sold me are completely useless.
The new bike is better is lots of small areas. 1st and 2nd gears are slightly lower but marginally, not game changing. 6th is like overdrive and very useful on dual carriageways and motorways. The instruments are much clearer and provide more info (I thought gear indicator was a gimmick but its really useful). The biggest and best change is the way it delivers the power. It pulls more strongly in every gear and you find your self changing less. It was very noticeable on and A Road where my friend on a CRF250 said I pulled away more briskly than him and off road where 2nd could be used instead of 1st. On the negative side, its still a heavy bike and there’s no getting away from it but at £6000 its a brilliant all round bike. For somebody wanting to start adventure bike riding its totally brilliant but if you want to ride like a hooligan over single tracks, its not designed for that and if you want to do that take up competitive sport ( personal rant that yobs on Enduro machines are ruining green landing for many of us).
I used Pirelli Scorpions on the CRF250 and they were a good all round tyre i.e. plenty of grip off road but treat with respect on the tarmac). I’ve switched to Michelin Trackers on the 300, they are a better tyre off road but on the road they are terrible. They follow every line in the tarmac and at slow speeds in town cannot make their minds up which tread block they want to travel on and noise? They are the noisiest tyres I’ve used, to the point if they don’t wear in over the few hundred miles, I’m switching back to the Pirelli’s.
Attachments
B2867259-F82A-4F46-9873-6091AB2D1DE5.jpeg
B2867259-F82A-4F46-9873-6091AB2D1DE5.jpeg (315.69 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
JtheLakes

Post by JtheLakes »

Sorry , brain fade. The tyres are Pirelli MT21 not Scorpions
johnnyboxer

New Honda CRF300 L and CRF300 Rally

Post by johnnyboxer »

JtheLakes wrote:Sorry , brain fade. The tyres are Pirelli MT21 not Scorpions
Good tyres on that type of bike
Nice review of your new bike
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Dr. Houx

Post by Dr. Houx »

Today marks 3 months since I got my CRF300 Rally, and particularly through lockdown, I've been working my way through various modifications to pass the time.
The bike is currently on an Abba Skylift without forks as they were sent to Andreani to fit the first CRF300 Rally cartridges, and I should be getting them back in the next few days.
I've done videos for most of the modifications, and if anyone's interested, the YouTube playlist for all is:

Ride safe!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO1FnYwnT8J/
Moo

Post by Moo »

JtheLakes, is the rack a Honda one? Know how much they are from the dealer?

Return to “BIKES”