KTM 390

The Things We Ride
Nick_2112

KTM 390

Post by Nick_2112 »

With the amount of smallish cappacity trail bikes available at the moment, does anyone think KTM would do well with a trail version of their 390?

I know the Adventure 390 can go off road but a stripped back KTM 390 similar to Honda CRF250 L with road going service intervals seems sensible way to maximise engine use in the range?
sphbristol

Re: KTM 390

Post by sphbristol »

Ktm have just released details of the 250 adventure.

https://www.ktm.com/en-gb/models/travel ... -2021.html

Not sure why......
dynax

Post by dynax »

bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Will the UK follow as we are jo longer part of Europe?
dynax

Post by dynax »

bill_qaz wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:36 pm Will the UK follow as we are jo longer part of Europe?
Yes we will, but at the moment there are more important issues to deal with,

this is a reply i got from MAG a few weeks ago
Hello MIchael,

I have spoken to the DVSA on this. The reply was as follows:

“There are benefits for riders, trainers and the motorcycle industry if the A2 test category changes to include smaller motorcycles than present.

We will be consulting on the changes when other priorities and the government’s legislative programme allows.”

I would therefore predict that the change will be adopted in the UK, though I suspect it may well be a considerable length of time before it happens as it will come down to priorities for the legislative programme. Motorcycling sadly appears right at the bottom of that list.

MAG have a position on the DVSA’s Bike Training and Testing Advisory Group and also the DfT Road Safety Delivery Group, so we will use this position to put pressure on the government to push this change through along with the proposed CBT changes that have been on the back-burner far too long.

MAG could do with more membership from riders who currently are not fully qualified. This is so that we can hear the views of new riders and demonstrate to the policy makers that we speak for them. Currently our membership consists mainly of older, experienced and fully qualified riders. I would urge you to consider taking out a MAG membership and persuading any of your riding friends to do the same. The work we do requires the voices of all riders to be represented, and we are less effective without members from all parts of the riding community.

Best regards
Nick_2112

Post by Nick_2112 »

No love for a 390 trail bike then?
With nothing from Suzuki in this catagory it only leaves Honda 250L, wanted something slightly larger engine.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Nick_2112 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:14 pm No love for a 390 trail bike then?
With nothing from Suzuki in this catagory it only leaves Honda 250L, wanted something slightly larger engine.
Nick, you need a Beta 390RR. Long-stroke engine with fairly low maintenance, but with full enduro suspension for proper off-road action. With very few changes it can become a dual sport for longer distance TET-type trail riding. However I suspect it's too powerful to be A2 compliant.

But Beta make the Alp 4.0, which is A2 compatible. Old school engine but a nice solid dual-purpose dirt bike.

Return to “BIKES”