Which bike?

The Things We Ride
Seniorider

Which bike?

Post by Seniorider »

Hello all.
I'm a returning member; I've been away for some years.
I'm 67 and weigh just about 11 stone. I'm finding my Triumph Tiger 800xc too heavy these days. I've never taken it off road, but I would like a bike to do some (gentle) off roading with. I did attend a one day off-roading course that was given to me for my sixtieth birthday. I found the course knackering (as did everybody else, I think) - All the other members of our group were at least half my age, and I was very bruised for a week or two afterwards. The best part of the course for me, was when we did a little bit of greenlaning. I'm too old to be interested in fording rivers, or scaling hill sides; I'd just like a machine that will get me there with little effort and is light enough to be pushed/picked up - with little effort!
My other bike is a Moto Guzzi V7ii. I was wondering whether a Stornello could be suitable? I know Guzzi now do the V85tt, but I think that would be pretty much the same as my Tiger, just slower. Any suggestions please?
Cheers
John
macvisual

Re: Which bike?

Post by macvisual »

What about the Honda CB500X....? Light enough and I'm sure it could green lane all day long.

'Stevie T' from this parish rides one, I'm sure he could advise you better than me....

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

A simple reliable honda crf250l with springs for your weight would be perfect and not expensive loads for sale on ebay and every dealer in the land...
Seniorider

Post by Seniorider »

Thank you Tramp. :)
I will do some research on the Hondas.

Cheers

John.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Test ride a Himalayan, off road the low weight and seat height together with a relatively torquey engine make it easier to ride. On road you will either appreciate that its virtues outweigh its lack of power or not. I have just done a 4,500 mile trip on mine including some green lanes and forest trails and could not really fault it. In the Pyrenees and Alps I was passing a lot of bigger adventure bikes as they seemed to struggle with some of the really twisty roads. Having ridden a CRF I would say the Himalayan is more of an all rounder and possibly better off road if you are inexperienced. Cheers
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I’m same age as you & ive just bought this for a bit of “gentle” off road work time will tell if it’s the right decision?
CD6CD389-1CB3-475B-B26F-172ED5957E19.jpeg
CD6CD389-1CB3-475B-B26F-172ED5957E19.jpeg (260.65 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Kiwiscoot

Post by Kiwiscoot »

I second the RE Himalayan. Done 23 000 kms on mine on different terrain.. It is one of those bikes where you have to do something stupid to get in trouble. It will be more comfortable than a CRF250 and being a torquey motor will just stractor thru pretty much anything. It will be excellent for green laning out of the box.

Check out to see what they bike can do.
WillS

Post by WillS »

Another vote for the Honda CRF250L.
Great for a day's ride or even a longer few days adventure.
Economical, easy to ride and comfortable. Have don a few thousand km on mine, off and on road!!
Good luck on your choice from another older biker..
CF10BFFE-2696-4915-9152-812648A7EDAD.JPG
CF10BFFE-2696-4915-9152-812648A7EDAD.JPG (339.37 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I recently rode with a hymalyan on salisbury plain... His suspension was soft and it kept getting stuck bottoming out... But maybe with springs for his weight and a slower pace it would have been better...

Park your ass ona few and test ride then you'll find what you want nearly.. Then set it up as you want and enjoy..
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Tramp wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:31 am I recently rode with a hymalyan on salisbury plain... His suspension was soft and it kept getting stuck bottoming out... But maybe with springs for his weight and a slower pace it would have been better...

Park your ass ona few and test ride then you'll find what you want nearly.. Then set it up as you want and enjoy..
I agree about the suspension being soft and the bottoming out but don't let that put you off, the low exhaust/bash plate/centre stand and low down weight is a bonus. Salisbury Plain maybe the wrong side of the greenlane/offroad line for the OP which he can only decide after a test ride. Lighter/lower than the Tiger and would be easier to pick up if you do decide to go greenlaning.
By no means the bike for everyone (they have well documented issues) but it sits nicely alongside the 1200gs plus you can pick up a used bike with some warranty left and luggage etc for £3.5.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “BIKES”