You meet the nicest people on a Honda CB500X v CRF250 Rally

The Things We Ride
adventure steele

You meet the nicest people on a Honda CB500X v CRF250 Rally

Post by adventure steele »

HI everyone ^_^ hope we are all keeping well in these weird times,

I just wanna thank everyone that's replied emailed etc with advice while I've been trying to sus out what bikes to get for dad an I on our dream trip to Iceland an Norway an eventually further afield.

Really feel like I've narrowed it down now to a 2019 Honda CB500X.

Today we went to a local Honda dealer to sit on the CB500X which I loved the seating position felt very similar to my 1200gsa an 800gs I had an while there I was truly taken with the look of the crf 250 rally.

Just curious anyone had both or either how are you getting on with them?

I was watching an old video of Steph Jeavons talking about her 250l an not racing around the world an enjoying the trip. Really hammered home my new mindset.

One thing that surprised me with the 250 rally was how much the suspension sagged under my weight I'm 32 inches inside leg, 6'2 an 14-15 stone ish. Was expecting to be on my tip toes an I was till I nocked it off the side stand.

Just wondering does anyone know what weight rider they are sprung for? The forks didn't seem overly bad but the rear did dive a fair bit so guessing they are sprung for a lighter rider.

Was a nice sensation being able to put my feet down on both of them although I'm guessing once I sort the sag's out on the rally that could be a different story.

Few mobile pics from today.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
clutchspring

Re: You meet the nicest people on a Honda CB500X v CRF250 Rally

Post by clutchspring »

Hi Tom, not had any of these bike but I'm to looking to down size to a smaller lighter bike & the cb500x is on my list it gets great reviews & has brilliant MPG.
also on my list is the V Strom 650 xt, not had a go on any yet just waiting till I sell my present two bikes before I start looking seriously.

Ian 👍
adventure steele

Hi Ian thanks for the reply :) yeah I'm in the same position just waiting for my rd250c to sell before I can make a move on one which is giving me plenty of time to research. :D
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I can’t compare both of them but I had the CB500X for a couple of years and really enjoyed it. Took it touring through France, up to Scotland twice (based in Bristol) and plenty of rideouts with mates.
It was an excellent bike, comfortable too - I did a 480 mile trip back from Scotland in one go with no aches or pains. It held itself well on motorways with enough power for easy overtakes. The MPG was great and I found with the size of tank I was filling up only once to all my mates filling twice.
I fitted Givi side racks and rear so I could carry plenty of stuff with me. It’s quite narrow so a set of E22s on the side kept it that way. I took it down a couple of easy green lanes but didn’t really enjoy it... after selling it I had a RE Himalayan which was much better suited to the dirty stuff.
Anyway, whatever you get will be fine... you could probably do it on a 125cc scooter 😉
23082D65-30BA-4219-B677-F62F456598E9.jpeg
23082D65-30BA-4219-B677-F62F456598E9.jpeg (219.95 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
50908DFA-607C-4417-8157-4DF11D2AAA3B.jpeg
50908DFA-607C-4417-8157-4DF11D2AAA3B.jpeg (203.17 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

If you are considering a 500x, also look at the Yam T700

30bhp more
Better suspension, with double the travel of the 500x
Better offroad and on road, with 21/18 wheels
Same weight.............but more expensive
A lot more aftermarket accessory options

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... 0x_19.html ...versus

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... 00_20.html
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

I'd suggest you take them out on a long Test-Ride to get the feel of them, that's the best way to experience both of them.

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I have a Rally and I think as a one bike to do both jobs it's pretty good. It's my first ever new bike and even after three years of greenlanes and touring it still feels brand new. Honda really make dependable bikes IMO.

I think its sprung for someone who weighs about 30kg!

I'm probably going to sell it soon and go to a CB500X as for touring I'd like something that is easier on the motorway and have a second tiny bike that I can chuck around.

Iceland looks cool :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Plus, you've got to think about adding/strapping on luggage which adds weight of course, which means would a smaller brake horse power bike struggle somewhat compared to a larger output for example...?

Something to consider I think.

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
adventure steele

Thanks guys, yep would love a t7 mate but they are just clear of my price range on quite a tight budget this time once the rd250c sells I'll know exactly what I've got to play with my dream travel bike would be the 701 husky with a rally kit something to aspire to for the future.

Thanks guys for all the replies really helps got to sit on a couple today deffo going to need a new rear shock I think or a respring: Felt good though was interesting jumping between the two bikes Bill Smiths left me to it for a bit which was great so I could get my head round the seating position an feel of the bikes.

Just keep thinking a lightweight option could be really cool an a totally different approach to the parallel twins I've had in the past. I'll be totally honest although I tried a tiny bit of off road with the gsa it was such a lump an I always struggled supporting it on my iffy left leg, so was enjoyable being able to put both feet down on my other bikes after I got rid of it could see the crf being tall once I've got the shock fixed on one but light so don't think it would give me to much of an issue.

Got to sit on the 250l as well loved the seat height but felt like the 250 Rally gave more of an open adv style seating position.

Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Ive ridden the Rally a few times on and off riad and quite simply its a brilliant bike. Yes you can do upgrades but as it is can be everything you chuck at it.

Return to “BIKES”