Moto Guzzi V7 iii (Any experience)

The Things We Ride
HoboBeemer

Moto Guzzi V7 iii (Any experience)

Post by HoboBeemer »

Well I am at a bit of a cross roads currently..

I may well be letting my R1100GS go as whilst I have done every servicing procedure one can imagine from rear drive rebuild to Clutch and everything in between I am starting to get serious issues with wrenching and arthritis in my fingers and serious back pain, even after minor jobs such as oil changes and as the bike is used for what it is intended I always have a job lined up to be getting on with but honestly I just do not think I will be in a position much longer to work on a bike that is 20 odd years old, I did front wheel bearings yesterday and even with all the right tools my hands are fucking killing me today.

I had a email come through saying that Guzzi are doing deals for the next few months and I kinda like the idea of a V7 iii Stone (As a road bike), I like a Twin motor and shaft drive but I have never had a Guzzi and there seems to be a bit of a split concensus ref this model, my thinking is that new riders get them and run into what all new riders do and then there are the seasoned vets that seem to love them but do state they have a few quirks.

I very very rarely ever consider new bikes but at the prices they are selling for I may just be able to justify it..

Anyone had one or any experience?,
daveuprite

Re: Moto Guzzi V7 iii (Any experience)

Post by daveuprite »

I've ridden one, but only around the paddock and the marshalls' access roads at Le Mans - so you can't really call that experience! But it was enough for me to think it was quite small and cute, a bit quirky and characterful (like most Guzzis), but painfully slow. It's fairly stylish (again, like many Guzzis) but definitely an enthusiasts bike for those who can forgive a 750cc road bike weighing nearly 200kgs having less than 50bhp. You would have to really adopt a 'pottering about the lanes' mindset to enjoy it. Which is fine if that's all you want to do.

What about a Ducati Desert Sled / Scrambler ? Or an Aprilia Shiver? Or one of Triumph's retros maybe. Or a Guzzi Griso would have a fair bit more go. Lots of retro-looking bikes around these days as the average biking age slips ever upwards.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I've got a lot of time for Guzzis, and one huge advantage for you would be no chain to clean, lube and adjust.
But if I were in the market for a retro, I'd have to find a really good reason not to buy a Royal Enfield 650.
It's got all the charm of a Brit twin of the 1970, but without the horrors.
In fact, when I'm too old for my current bikes, I'll sell them all and get one!
almar

Post by almar »

Have a look on moto guzzi V7 page on Facebook
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:56 pm I've got a lot of time for Guzzis, and one huge advantage for you would be no chain to clean, lube and adjust.
But if I were in the market for a retro, I'd have to find a really good reason not to buy a Royal Enfield 650.
It's got all the charm of a Brit twin of the 1970, but without the horrors.
In fact, when I'm too old for my current bikes, I'll sell them all and get one!
To be honest I am not looking for a "Retro" as such but the Guzzi seems to tick the boxes ref Twin and shaft drive, I know the reviews on the Enfield have been very good though and may well be something to consider.
daveuprite wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 pm I've ridden one, but only around the paddock and the marshalls' access roads at Le Mans - so you can't really call that experience! But it was enough for me to think it was quite small and cute, a bit quirky and characterful (like most Guzzis), but painfully slow. It's fairly stylish (again, like many Guzzis) but definitely an enthusiasts bike for those who can forgive a 750cc road bike weighing nearly 200kgs having less than 50bhp. You would have to really adopt a 'pottering about the lanes' mindset to enjoy it. Which is fine if that's all you want to do.

What about a Ducati Desert Sled / Scrambler ? Or an Aprilia Shiver? Or one of Triumph's retros maybe. Or a Guzzi Griso would have a fair bit more go. Lots of retro-looking bikes around these days as the average biking age slips ever upwards.

I kinda stay away from blasting down main roads these days and vast majory of my riding is on tiny country lanes, I cannot risk my licence with work so it is very rare for me to be above the limit these days, also one of the reasons I do so much Greenlaning as you are basically Policing yourself and my local authorty has started to use far more mobile traps all over the county which was unheard of for well over a decade.

As I posted in the other thread, I was really interested in the Sled but I found when I stood up my heel on my right foot fouled the exhaust causing my heel to be resting on it?, I was at the NEC on the DuCateee booth and I think it was a standard setup, my friend and one other commented the same but I am second guessing myself now as the person in the thread on here who owns ones has not had any issues. I think I "may" see if I can track one down.

Going forward looks like I need to swing my leg over a few options and go from there..
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

almar wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:14 am Have a look on moto guzzi V7 page on Facebook

Never had Facebook TBH and cant see myself starting now 8-)

Good shout anyway.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

You can look at FB (public groups) without signing up.

Just click 'not now' when the annoying pop-up pops up.
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:48 am You can look at FB (public groups) without signing up.

Just click 'not now' when the annoying pop-up pops up.
Oh I see, sorry the Luddite is still very prevalent in me, I will check it out.. Thanks for the info..
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Air-cooled, shaft drive had a lot going for it; less is more. Reminds me of the R80GS and look at how valued they have become now. Is it too fanciful to suggest that the V7 has picked up the mantle today. Ok, it's not an off-roader but in its own way it functions as a back to basics bike . I like them. Would I buy one ( if I had the room)?
Yes I would indeed.
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

PaulinBont wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:30 pm Air-cooled, shaft drive had a lot going for it; less is more. Reminds me of the R80GS and look at how valued they have become now. Is it too fanciful to suggest that the V7 has picked up the mantle today. Ok, it's not an off-roader but in its own way it functions as a back to basics bike . I like them. Would I buy one ( if I had the room)?
Yes I would indeed.
That was just what I was thinking, it is about as close to a R80 as you could find, I really really struggle to get onboard with the latest and greatest if nothing else for the amount of gadgets that are just waiting to go wrong and that in turn inflates the RRP, I am also as tight as old assholes when it comes to bikes and struggle to justify any amount of money over about £3000 for a bike, I shop shrewdly but will buck that trend if something tickles the fancy which the V7 (Might have) ...

Regards

Return to “BIKES”