Maxi-Scooter's - Go Big and Ride Big

The Things We Ride
macvisual

Maxi-Scooter's - Go Big and Ride Big

Post by macvisual »

Ok, thought I'd start a thread for Maxi-Scooter's, let's keep it over 400cc please.
Love to hear from Burgman/T-Max/Kymco/Piaggio/BMW C650/X-Max/Aprilia SRV-850 owners here....!

Any photo's/experience/knowledge or ride reports, or anything in general relating to Maxi-Scooter's please post here. Let's share the Maxi-Scooter love for these bigger machines.

Let me kick this off with my recently purchased 2007 Honda Silverwing 600 with 16k miles on the clock, ABS model. Recently collected it this week and only ridden 140 miles so far, but loving it's plushness comfort and physical size, it kicks out a healthy 50bhp with it's twin cylinder engine.

The S'wing has a decent 16 litre fuel tank size and I've heard on average you can achieve around 200/210 miles to a brimmed tank. From 2007 onwards they came with 'ABS' as standard. I've still a lot to learn with the S'wing.
Under the riders seat you have a huge 55 litres of spare storage space, space for two helmets. During my 140 mile ride home I was starting to notice the Honda Silverwing's engine sweet-spot was sitting between 65/75mph, so smooth.

The left glove box has good capacity (elbow deep) which houses a handy 12V power-socket outlet as standard, handy for powering a Sat-Nav or mobile phone, it's permanently live, so don't forget to unplug when parking the large Scoot up.
The Silverwing now sits alongside my 2008 V-Strom DL1000 in the garage, the V-Strom will be a little bit neglected til I get used to the quirks of the S'wing.

Here's a photograph I shot on my way home riding through the beautiful Scottish Highlands after purchasing the Silverwing;

ImageThe Scottish Highlands by APM Photography, on Flickr

Best regards;
Peter
Last edited by macvisual on Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Slowboy

Re: Maxi-Scooter's - Go Big and Ride Big

Post by Slowboy »

That's a nice machine you have there. I came very close to buying one myself recently but ended up with a Fazer 600. Always had a soft spot for the maxi scooters. I bought one of the. First Burgman 400's in the UK back in the day and very impressive it was too. My wife still thinks it's the most comfortable pillion bike I've owned.
It'll be interesting to read how you get on with it. I'm sure I'll end up with something similar one day, if I can get away with yet another bike :D :D
A great touring bike as well.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I had my CB500 out for a couple of days this week -camping near Gt Yarmouth and touring up the coast to Cromer--but the point is that I have a Transalp which I'll keep--and also two trail bikes--the idea is to swap the CB500 for a silverwing as I really like the idea of a fast twist and go that will carry luggage. If anyone fancies a low mileage CB500 with panniers etc--1998 in green--then let me know as it will spur me on to getting a silverwing. Keep the thread going as real experience counts for a lot.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

catcitrus wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:14 am If anyone fancies a low mileage CB500 with panniers etc--1998 in green--then let me know as it will spur me on to getting a silverwing. Keep the thread going as real experience counts for a lot.
I had one of those when I returned to biking after a few years lay-off. An excellent honest machine, was in green as well, which has go me thinking :lol:
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Silverwing stealth'ness;

ImageSilverwing by APM Photography, on Flickr

mac

Frank Zappa
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Oop North John wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:20 am
catcitrus wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:14 am If anyone fancies a low mileage CB500 with panniers etc--1998 in green--then let me know as it will spur me on to getting a silverwing. Keep the thread going as real experience counts for a lot.
I had one of those when I returned to biking after a few years lay-off. An excellent honest machine, was in green as well, which has go me thinking :lol:
I know its in the wrong section but just for info. It has a 2013 CB silencer now but I have the original in good nick--pm me for more info --and no more posts on the CB until I have a silverwing !!
5 latest fit April 20.jpg
5 latest fit April 20.jpg (141.85 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

S'wing

ImageS'wing by APM Photography, on Flickr

mac

Frank Zappa
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

As I was enjoying the view on the B862 heading north from the Suidhe viewpoint and had a bit of a revelation. Most maxi scooters have a 50 litres locker, so all you need is a top box to easily get 100 litres of storage space, enough for me for a couple of weeks away and plenty of room to stretch your legs. Why aren't maxi scooters more popular?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I was wondering how the silverwing engine-frame set up worked beneath all that plastic:

Weight is nice and low, and lots of room above for storage, rider and passenger. Not all that dissimilar to those reclined-position bikes that came out in the 70s/80s.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Oop North John wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:53 am As I was enjoying the view on the B862 heading north from the Suidhe viewpoint and had a bit of a revelation. Most maxi scooters have a 50 litres locker, so all you need is a top box to easily get 100 litres of storage space, enough for me for a couple of weeks away and plenty of room to stretch your legs. Why aren't maxi scooters more popular?
Definitely image. I know quite a few guys when I mentioned getting a maxi scooter that they’ve said it’s not a real bike... :(
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)

Return to “BIKES”