I got the frame guards too
Just the job
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
MotoCP

Re: The Yamaha Tenere thread

Post by MotoCP »

boboneleg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:08 pm Fitted these this morning.............

Both those items are on my list. Where do you recommend I shop Bob?
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

MotoCP wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:03 pm

Both those items are on my list. Where do you recommend I shop Bob?
[/quote]

I got mine from Rugged Roads, delivered next day, always had good service from them.

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb6 ... ageSize=60
one-legged adventurer
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Took a punt on this exhaust that was an ‘as new’ previously fitted sell off from the manufacturer.
F7CDBE19-2FB7-404E-BCB3-EFD4BF82E7FF.jpeg
F7CDBE19-2FB7-404E-BCB3-EFD4BF82E7FF.jpeg (151.47 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
A1B7F4D7-FB35-4F7E-9366-5CAA8DDE2DA8.jpeg
A1B7F4D7-FB35-4F7E-9366-5CAA8DDE2DA8.jpeg (208.51 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
Very light and compact!

I’d just like to get a link pipe extension made up with the necessary bends to lift the end can higher up so there’s less stress on the overly long hanger bracket that easily bends when the bike is dropped on the exhaust side. You can see the grazing on the swinging arm where the old exhaust has pushed in and made contact.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Was reading the huge adv rider threads.. Opps.... And seen that the T7 has similar restrictions to the xt660z in the airbox department and remapping to give them a bit more ummph in torque and smooth out the low throttle pickup....

Interesting reading for me... And no I ain't buying one.. T7 that is.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

My 660z is getting on a bit now and probably near end of life but the T700 prices are still pretty strong for second hand bikes. Not much less than new or pre registered bikes. When will the pcp deals come to and end and release more s/h bikes into the market?
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Usually 3 years from registration, I think.

How many miles has the old XT done, and what's wearing out on it?
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

112k miles so far. Engine is still good. The frame rusted at the front where the drain plug is. Saltly crap built up behind the plate that bolts on there. I cleaned it up with a wire wheel on grinder and painted it but lost a lot of thickness. Quite a bit of paint flaking off frame/forks/swingarm.
Replaced the headlight as that rattled to bits inside (repaired several times). Had to weld exhaust collector and put in link/strengthening tube. Replaced throttle cable. Discs etc but thats normal.
Just worried about frame really and wondering how long the engine/gearbox will last 🤔. Been amazing really. Wouldn't get a ktm like that. 😀
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

redbikejohn wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:34 pm 112k miles so far. Engine is still good. The frame rusted at the front where the drain plug is. Saltly crap built up behind the plate that bolts on there. I cleaned it up with a wire wheel on grinder and painted it but lost a lot of thickness. Quite a bit of paint flaking off frame/forks/swingarm.
Replaced the headlight as that rattled to bits inside (repaired several times). Had to weld exhaust collector and put in link/strengthening tube. Replaced throttle cable. Discs etc but thats normal.
Just worried about frame really and wondering how long the engine/gearbox will last 🤔. Been amazing really. Wouldn't get a ktm like that. 😀
Sweeping statement there RBJ - plenty of LC8's are far older than your Yam and similar or more miles.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

But, how much work have they needed?
My KTM's not done 40,000 miles, and I've had to do the waterpump, the starter clutch, the reg rec, the exhaust system and the clutch slave cylinder. I've had to replace the fork seals. It's had 2 rear brake M/Cs, and needed new front discs twice due to warpage, the rear disc is going to be done before the next MoT (through wear). I'm running EBC organic pads in the front now to try to preserve the discs. It's mostly been used on long journeys in all weathers and done a fair bit off-tarmac.
Admittedly it's an 2004 950, so had some issues that were resolved on subsequent models, but the running costs are not low. It's not a ride to work bike (unless, like me, you were living in Gloucester and riding to work in Kent!)

Return to “BIKES”