The Yamaha Tenere thread

The Things We Ride
MotoCP

Re: The Yamaha Tenere thread

Post by MotoCP »

Agreed, it will be an interesting thread to see how we all modify and use the bikes.
I’m looking forward to a spot of TET/Moto camping when things open up again.

Please keep us posted on how effective those OEM heated grips are.

I’d also be interested in any views/recommendations on suspension settings as full adjustability is all new to me.
I’m around 80kg and the forks are currently set at;
Rebound 8 clicks from soft
Compression 12 clicks from soft
Static sag 35mm
I’ve put a cable tie on to monitor how much travel is being used (Approx 55-60%) after spirited road riding/braking.
I haven’t checked the rear shock yet.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Hi Moto

I used the genuine heated grips before and tbh they were great, they do get pretty hot and they have a low batt switch off system with 3 power setting and look very integrated hence ive bought the kit for the T7
With regards to suspension setting , dont get hung up on factory settings however its difficult to judge your riding level and what u want them to be, can give you a rough idea to set it out however its best to go out with some trial and error, you need to find a “generic” setting that works for you and your style of riding.
Sag sounds pretty close
Rebound,,, push the front down hard whilst off the bike and you want the suspension to unload ( eg come back up) and then a fraction down on its own, any more than that wind the screw in one click at at time.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

tbo the worst part of the bike is the suspension ..iwasnt expecting full braaap ohlins quality but theres a lot left to be desired thats for sure ..when the internet comments say it shows up when pushed hard ..id amend it to it shows up goind steady and gets pretty bad when pushed a bit ......

im of the opinion already if its going to be a long term keeper im going to sort sooner rather than later as even on the road its annoying any sharper or harder edged stuff on tar are annoying ..and off road its harsh and gets kicky and unruly pretty quick ..it kind of keeps things in check ok ish but it is never going to feel what id call proper /comfy without some help
to be fair i have a place where i test all me bikes out and know exaclty how a well set up bike feels its got knucly hardpack whoops and a little jump or two followed by repeated big dips and some pretty big sudden dip hits hits its a fair test and tells a lot .. now any one will tell you im not a fast rider but i do like to move a bit more than the standard boingers like and it feels like great chassis as it is very directionallt stable as the boingy bits get unruly undernieth .... all that said its not a;ll about off road its about ride quality too and that includes tar for sure .. ive looked at options ..imalready of the opinion to have a rear shock made for it by firefox if possible

nowt fancy but well damped and good rebound control ..they have in the past made two for me from scratch and they have been ace ..for reasonable money id hope to be sub 400 quid ..the o/e one looks pretty and trick but it isnt very good in thruth ...ive enquired about having the andriani cartrages done at the front and if it works out it should be good to go for around a grand for both ends
dropped on it for 7.5k so i tend to keep bikes for a long time and i would be annoyed everytime i ride it as it is and its well apparant theres a lot of upgrades available and i can feel the reason why

the better neews is ive been very very pleased with the ergos and slow balence of the thing ..the road ability is fab and im sure it will do pretty well off road too ...on the same test ride on the track theres a smooth half mile and was roosting it in third gear at 50mph just for fun its a formidable machine the engine is a turbine and will pull third from nothing 2mph on a super smooth and well connected clutch ..given it weight theres not a lot i dont like at all apart from the above ..i do feel i can manage it on some fairly tough ground its a huge step forward from the old xt660 in lot of ways .. and in fairness it suuspension is better that that out of the box ..i fell its a shame they didnt do a r version with better suspension as a option

so thats this weeks mission see what i can do with the boingy bits ..

im kinda warming to it now ... we will see
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Helicoptermanr22 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:20 pm Thanks dude, appreciate that, tbh they have really cracked the mid weight ( ish) dual sport market with this, its good on the motorway great on the twisties and bloody excellent off road.
Ive got some yamaha heated grips coming with the loom and it says it plugs into a spare plug underneath somewhere, has anyone done this and where is the plug located?

The connector you need is located under the right fairing panel, I used actually that connector to power my Montana as my heated grips (oxford) I wired diect to the battery.
one-legged adventurer
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Minkyhead..... Check out ktech suspension they have some good stuff already done for the t7, a friend had his springs changed and rear shock modded.... Very happy he was he likes to ride hard and fast aka he is a animal..

It's a nice bike but my old xt660z ain't going nowhere... Too many memories.
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Helicoptermanr22

Good stuff going on here, would be good to see how you get on with the suspension Minky, i will be just using mine for trail riding and not pushing it hard as i is too old for tumbles but have adjusted mine and it does seem to be ok, we will see.
I believe they are KYB systems which aint too bad. Thanks for the plug location!!
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Adam at Rally Raid Products suggests an updated spring on the rear shock. He thinks the unit itself is OK, just undersprung.
His view on the front....I can remember, to stuff I think.

They of course, sell bits for the T7.
Helicoptermanr22

Interesting Adam, loads and loads of good stuff coming up for these bikes.
Minky i know this is your type of thing;)) as the engine is so torquey it could easily manage to go down two teeth on the rear sprocket as really in its current form taking of in 2nd is about right or even 3rd if downhill, will a XT660 rear sprocket fit?
rockdodger

Post by rockdodger »

Hi Helicoptermanr22 I have sent you a message.
Cheers Steve
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

minkyhead wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:56 pm I’m already the opinion to have a rear shock made for it by Firefox
so thats this weeks mission see what i can do with the boingy bits ..
I’m looking forward to your findings Minky.
I used Firefox to service/re-spring my old AT shock so would be happy to see what upgrade they can do for the T7.

Plenty of suspension talk in this feature although I bet you’ve all seen it as we’ve probably watched everything during lockdown!

Return to “BIKES”