The Yamaha Tenere thread

The Things We Ride
boboneleg

Re: The Yamaha Tenere thread

Post by boboneleg »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:01 pm
Waiting to hear your first impressions vs the big KTM, Bob...

Not that I can afford one
In some ways it's totally different to the 950/990's but I do think it's the natural successor for those bikes, much more so than the 1090/1190 or 790.

You can ride it on a whiff of throttle in 2/3rd on the trails and it won't stall, the engine is so smooth that you sometimes wonder if it's running. It doesn't have the 'snap' of the KTM's but it's quick enough when you wind it on and it is giving away 250/300cc to those bikes.

It feels lighter than the KTM's (even if it isn't on paper) and it feels physically smaller, it's a bit like a big enduro bike in a way, the bike impresses me more everytime I ride it .

I feel that I won't be spending so much time servicing the T700 as I used to with my KTM's and I'm also averaging 65mpg so far after 1850 miles.

It's my retirement bike really in that I doubt if I'll ever have that money to spend on a brand new bike again , but........... if ever a low mileage unmolested 950 Adventure came along I might be tempted to buy it and just use it on nice sunny days ;)

I'm glad I made the plunge on buying the bike without even trying one at the favourable pre-order price and I certainly don't regret my decision.
one-legged adventurer
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Thanks Bob,

Sounds like a much better option than all the Africa Twin, KTM, GSA alternatives.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

First service yesterday - things have changed since my last new bike purchase since it's not free of labour charges any longer, but maybe that's how the purchase price is kept down. The cost was £87.53, of which £46.80 was for 1 hour's labour, which seems reasonable to me.
I guess I'll have the bike serviced as necessary at the dealer over the remaining warranty period just so there's no risk of having problems in the unlikely event of a warranty claim.
Next thing to do - fit the very sturdy-looking OEM centre stand.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:38 pm I was in a Yam dealership in Poitiers today, looking at a T7.

I was a bit underwhelmed, appearance-wise, and the blue/black didn't do it any favours. It may be a peach to ride, but certainly not a show-off bike. However that might be perfect for RTW duties. It just blends in amongst other mid/large dirt bikes and looks less nickable than it would in bling colours.
As a confirmed Yamaha fan ..... fs1e, rd's, tdm's, VMax, wr's, MT07 ...... I also was/am underwhelmed by the lack of visual assault on the eyes but that could be overcome with a set of graphics of your own choice.
It doesn't have the pazzaz of Ktm/red bull or the stature/flagship status of the good ship GS but maybe it's just going to rely on the solid work ethic of it's own performance to sell all they can produce.
I've ridden my Wife's MT07 and love the engine, the build quality is good (if a bit plastic), it has survived a 'number' of car park/u turn drops with a few scrapes and a bent lever. The major moans from owners is annoying corrosion around areas of the swinging arm but at 5 years old and 12k miles ours shows no signs.
For me the T7 is a serious contender to replace all 3 of my current bikes but yet to take a test ride so still on the fence.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

mark vb wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:30 am First service yesterday - things have changed since my last new bike purchase since it's not free of labour charges any longer, but maybe that's how the purchase price is kept down. The cost was £87.53, of which £46.80 was for 1 hour's labour, which seems reasonable to me.
I guess I'll have the bike serviced as necessary at the dealer over the remaining warranty period just so there's no risk of having problems in the unlikely event of a warranty claim.
I have the Yamaha centre stand Mark and it's easy to operate but be aware that it does stick out quite away on the left-hand side. I wouldn't be without it though as it makes life so easy for things like chain maintenance.
one-legged adventurer
Saint rob

Post by Saint rob »

Anybody seen these?
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/produ ... 014-f1-00/

Apparently just the job to use with your Ténéré sleeping mat and sleeping bag!
Current bikes: XT1200ZE, MT01, XV750se, TRS 300RR, Scorpa factory 300- still mine despite some thieving scum bag bastard currently having possession of it
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Sounds like the T7 will be as good as the other tenere bikes before it 660z and the 1200 all excellent build quality and bugger all goes wrong... There are more than a few xt660z with over 100,000 mls on engine with zero problems and still running... Can't say that about ktm...
soho

Post by soho »

boboneleg wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:01 pm
Waiting to hear your first impressions vs the big KTM, Bob...

Not that I can afford one
In some ways it's totally different to the 950/990's but I do think it's the natural successor for those bikes, much more so than the 1090/1190 or 790.

You can ride it on a whiff of throttle in 2/3rd on the trails and it won't stall, the engine is so smooth that you sometimes wonder if it's running. It doesn't have the 'snap' of the KTM's but it's quick enough when you wind it on and it is giving away 250/300cc to those bikes.

It feels lighter than the KTM's (even if it isn't on paper) and it feels physically smaller, it's a bit like a big enduro bike in a way, the bike impresses me more everytime I ride it .

I feel that I won't be spending so much time servicing the T700 as I used to with my KTM's and I'm also averaging 65mpg so far after 1850 miles.

It's my retirement bike really in that I doubt if I'll ever have that money to spend on a brand new bike again , but........... if ever a low mileage unmolested 950 Adventure came along I might be tempted to buy it and just use it on nice sunny days ;)

I'm glad I made the plunge on buying the bike without even trying one at the favourable pre-order price and I certainly don't regret my decision.
Can't be arsed to try and remember where I saw it now Bob, but I'm loving the "Bob plate" ! 8-)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

shes a big old bus

took her around nidderdale fairly easy tracks ..and it did ok doesnt like them pebbly stony tails with hard tyres and soft forks much but stady away

centre stand slaps on bigger hits will need a rubber sling for off road ....and the side stand prong thing is bloody dangerous trapped me boot on the peg proper about 10 times .....anglke grinder wil send that stupif thing to hell ... be carful with that :!: get rid id say :?:

i never bought it top go trail riding on just wanted to find out how it goes off road ....

ill be leaving the proper trails to the mighty honda rally im not good enough to manage this beast on rock steps :mrgreen: ....

geand tourer supreme i think :D

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

mark vb wrote:First service yesterday - things have changed since my last new bike purchase since it's not free of labour charges any longer, but maybe that's how the purchase price is kept down. The cost was £87.53, of which £46.80 was for 1 hour's labour, which seems reasonable to me.
Which dealer ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”