The Yamaha Tenere thread

The Things We Ride
byewayrider

Re: The Yamaha Tenere thread

Post by byewayrider »

I hate hyperpro progressive springs with a vengeance as they aren't linnear so nearnon impossible to set up sag and alter valving... Had a set on my xt660z... Utter shit off road... Just get linnear springs for your weight and the right spec oil... Don't go too thick as the valving won't cope...

Just my thoughts lol... There is a excellent artical on advrider off a guy who kmows his stuff
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

HarveyCamm wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:04 am
MotoCP wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:15 pm After nearly two weeks of ownership, I’m just back from the 600 mile dealer service and I’m increasingly impressed by the T700 (bought with just 340 miles on).

The torque the engine produces allows really lazy gear selection, so accelerating from low speeds in high gears is fine.

I set off from stationary at traffic lights on a level road and thought it felt a bit more viby than normal. When I looked at the display, I realized I was in third gear but it didn’t even feel close to stalling with just a minimal increase in revs and no extra clutch slipping required.

It bodes well for getting the traction down when climbing steep trails in the absence of any fancy electronics.

The jury is still out on seat comfort but so far it’s been fine for the odd hour ride I’ve done so far.

I’m not keen on the fuel gauge though.
I set off on the bike today (facing up a gentle incline) and it displayed a flashing single bar. I couldn’t believe I’d burnt so much fuel so quickly, but headed straight for fuel.
It only took a tenner to fill it so the gauge had obviously malfunctioned but was fine on the way home.

I’ve really enjoyed flicking it around the back lanes but can’t wait to test it off road once I’ve sorted the following;

Rim locks, HD tubes, tyres, tail tidy, lever protection, crash bars and a decent skid plate.

I’ll be watching this thread with interest to see what folk suggest.

👍
HI
Re the fuel gauge - I don't think it's as linear as you'd expect, I'm finding that the display starts to flash after about 11 litres used (around 240 miles) and with the fuel economy I reckon there's around 80 miles to go on flashing gauge. I get average 70mpg - I actually had to put 1 gallon in after a 70 mile trip up to Sheffield last year, I was laughing the rest of the day
I've got around 4,500 miles on mine now and I love it :) looking for some better than stock tyres soon though

Harv
240 miles on 11 litres equates to 99 mpg!
Then 80 mile on ‘reserve‘ would give a 320 mile range!!!!
Was it mostly down hill? 😃

I’d be ecstatic with those figures but I think my expectations on a 16 litre tank would be more like 210-230 miles total range but I am throttle happy!
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

byewayrider wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:43 pm I hate hyperpro progressive springs with a vengeance as they aren't linnear so nearnon impossible to set up sag and alter valving... Had a set on my xt660z... Utter shit off road... Just get linnear springs for your weight and the right spec oil... Don't go too thick as the valving won't cope...

Just my thoughts lol... There is a excellent artical on advrider off a guy who kmows his stuff
Hi BWR,

I’ve had a quick look on ADVRider for the article.
Are you referring to this thread?
https://advrider.com/f/threads/tenere-7 ... o.1448483/
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

byewayrider wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:43 pm I hate hyperpro progressive springs with a vengeance as they aren't linnear so nearnon impossible to set up sag and alter valving... Had a set on my xt660z... Utter shit off road... Just get linnear springs for your weight and the right spec oil... Don't go too thick as the valving won't cope...

i tend to agree but moreso on shorter travel badly valved things ..bear in mind the 660 had pushrod forks and little in the way of any rbound control to help ..i used ohlins liniers in in the old bike ..i can tell you that darrens tenere i rode was way better than the abrupt things i have attached to the front at the moment and was a marked improvment

tbo ive decided today scrap it and go straight for the fork cartidge replacements ..ordered them today with a rear linier spring ...see how it goes from there..may sound odd but if i keep it long term it will annoy me forever ...and its way cheaper than a akro exhaust and i know id rather put me money there ..ill just throw on a cheapy dominator on it cos it will end up damaged for sure keep the o/e thing for future sale of the bike
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Yep that's one of them the other guy has both a T7 and a ktm 790 and did a very good compare of each models strong and weak points....

Think minky is on the right track.. Springs and cartridge change in front... And yep the basic xt660z is crap but mine has had forks redone with cartridges and linear springs.... As near as whitepower stuff as I'll get... Also went big on rear with a full shock from tractive with comp and rebound but cost over 700 quid 2 years ago... Totally changes the hippo into a excellent bike... Its been to North Africa a few times and Europe loads... Done nearly 90k now...
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

thats money well spent

im not posh or owt its just way underspung for me and im used to pretty good suspension think the cartidges are 485 and the spring 95 so its not silly money and ill fit em meself so ill see how th er ear behaves with the correct spring on and if i can live with it ok thats good

im coming from full travel 47 mm kybs on the rally and white power on the ccm so the difference is stark at the moment ..when i sit on it near half the front travel is awol it sags near 60mm static dont need a tape i just need to look at it to see its way off there nothing you can do without starting with spring and maby oil ..so i thought bollocks ill just go and do it now
i honestly think yamaha have allowed it sag like witches tit for the simple reason to keep the seat height and sales with it ..they know full well how to set a bike up so theres no logical reason to send it out that way other than height
thats it all good otherwise ill see how it is when they arrive
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Went for short ride today, found a couple of lanes to play on............
IMG_6738.JPEG
IMG_6738.JPEG (187.4 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
IMG_6739.JPEG
IMG_6739.JPEG (175.38 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
Everytime I go out I'm more impressed with this bike :)
one-legged adventurer
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Sad day.....just took a deposit on my tener lady. I'll have a few bits for sale soon, I'll put them on this parish first ;)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

chunky butt wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:40 pm Sad day.....just took a deposit on my tener lady. I'll have a few bits for sale soon, I'll put them on this parish first ;)
Noooo! How could you Steve? Your Tenere was for life, not just for Xmas. Just make sure you vet the new owner.

By the way, how you feeling? I have huge neck and right shoulder pain, shooting pains, inflammation and aches all over upper body. Matt is suffering too, and apparently Phil couldn't feel his legs yesterday...

The Dead Man's Gulch (AKA... The Devil's Arse-crack) certainly took its toll.

Return to “BIKES”