The BMW G310GS thread.

The Things We Ride
Lee Frost

Re: The BMW G310GS thread.

Post by Lee Frost »

Thanks for the replies.
The luggage racks can only be fitted one way, with no adjustment, as they attach to the pillion footage hanger (the footpeg has to be removed) and underneath the rear grab rails with spacers. The Scorpion exhaust comes on 3 sections, and though there's some adjustment between the header and mid-section where they slot together, those sections still have to line-up for the springs.
I've spoken to Rally Raid and John, the owner, has drawn a blank - he needs to see the bike ideally, but I'm in Cornwall, he's in Wellingborough. Luckily, I bought the bike from a main dealer and they fitted the Rally Raid parts that were in the bike when I bought it, so they're trying to get it sorted for me - but no one seems to know what the problem is!
Removing the entire exhaust system and re-fitting it is the first step.
Here are a couple of pics from the Rally Raid website that clearly show a gap between the tailpipe and luggage rack. The rack also appears to be angled away from the tailpipe, though that could just be an illusion due to the angle the photograph was taken from.
1.jpg
1.jpg (199.26 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (266.08 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Lee is your rear rack the same as the one in rally raid pic as that may be preventing the side rack from being bigger angle..

Failing that I'd just find a local exhaust bender and have the connecting silencer pipe bent to a shallower angle... Wouldn't take much for a pro bender...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

dibbs wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:37 am Nice looking bike though! my mate is looking for a late rally raid GS310 if anyone is selling...
There is/was a chap on UKGSER selling his. He's pulled it form sale but may still be open to selling? He wanted £4,250

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthrea ... ost5119524
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

byewayrider wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:02 am Lee is your rear rack the same as the one in rally raid pic as that may be preventing the side rack from being bigger angle..
I wondered about that as well - in the pic with the Land Rover, it looks as though the top corner of the side rack actually meets the top rack. Looking at the other two pics, I think that's an illusion - that top corner is in fact well clear of the top rack.

I f the rack is an immovable object, the problem must lie with the exhaust. That seems to have a mounting strap which bolts to the footage bracket. I wonder whether that is attached to the pipe at the wrong angle?

Have a look at this video.

At about 3:50, they talk about fitting the exhaust tail pipe. The mounting bracket for the silencer is bolted on, and they mention that the bracket is slotted. I think that means that there is some adjustment available there. So perhaps slacken the bolts, push the pipe away from the rack and tighten the bolts up again?
JMoandpiglet

Post by JMoandpiglet »

Lee - looking at the photo of your bike vs. the one in the RR video, you have the silencer bracket bolted to the back of the footrest hanger, whereas RR have it bolted to the front.

It might be something as simple as that.

Jx
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Is there any movement in the subframe with slots, it wouldn't take much to close that gap.
Your exhaust header looks shorter and the can higher than other pictures, can you get the clearance if you remove the bracket bolting the exhaust on.
Is there a different version of the exhaust for the G310R.
Lee Frost

Post by Lee Frost »

The soft luggage racks have been returned to Rally Raid Products and they're going to check them against a set on their G310 which are older. Mine were the last of the latest batch so they want to compare them with a set from a older batch to see if they've been fabricated differently. The concensus now is that it must be the racks rather than the exhaust. Watch this space!
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Here you go Lee. A couple of photos of the RR racks in our 310GS.

Sorry if they’re a bit dark, I forgot the keys for the locks and the bike so couldn’t move it outside.

I hope they help....?
85AA1D39-DB62-4B95-B790-6FE4412305D8.jpeg
85AA1D39-DB62-4B95-B790-6FE4412305D8.jpeg (143.2 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
1E703093-01BF-4532-94E3-88B9061330BA.jpeg
1E703093-01BF-4532-94E3-88B9061330BA.jpeg (133.08 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
PeteDuke

Post by PeteDuke »

In the UK - fitting the Soft Pannier rack you may fall foul of MOT rules.
A few years (2016) ago my Ducati went to the dealer for its MOT , a dealer I had used for donkey's years, bought many bikes from them, however in between MOT's this dealer changed hands and got a very picky MOT tester. My bike failed because it had no rear footrests and there was a seat that a passenger could use. Now whether that was an incredibly picky tester out to prove a point, or someone with no common sense, I don't know, needless to say they lost my business for good.
you'd very upset should they fall foul of a similar 'jobs worth' MOT tester.
Attachments
MOT.PNG
MOT.PNG (44.82 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I bet you were tempted to say "Yes, and the pillion's missing too, you plonker..."

Good lord, where do they get these people from? I bet it's a bundle of laughs round his house.

Return to “BIKES”