The BMW G310GS thread.

The Things We Ride
Snaf MKII

Re: The BMW G310GS thread.

Post by Snaf MKII »

Missing footrest is now a major fail, it's simple enough to remedy with a seat cowl covering the pillion seat. I think it's a fair enough fail as it's not something that a tester can put down as an advisory if it's actually missing.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

If it is fitted, it has to work. If you have a pillion seat, you should have footpegs for the pillion.
Seems logical to me. :D
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

At the bottom of all this MOT/pillion footrest moaning.......if the tester is found to not be carrying out tests correctly, they can lose their testers certification.....maybe their job ultimately.

Anyway, I only posted a couple of pics to try and help out another ABRer..... :roll:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Gosh, my local Honda dealership didn't seem to mind my lack of footrests. That's lucky as I have no idea where they are since the house move...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Lee Frost

Post by Lee Frost »

After 5 months of to-ing and fro-ing, I've finally sorted the issue I had with the Rally Raid soft luggage rack being way too close to the Scorpion tailpipe on my G310.
Rally Raid Products acknowledged there was a problem after a few customers contacted them with the same issue and they removed the racks from sale on their website while they investigated. They then modified the rack on the exhaust side and it did the trick on some bikes, but not mine. They modified it even more and it still didn't work. No idea why, but I live too far away from RR for them to see the bike and try to figure it out.
In the end John at RR suggested I try reversing the hanger that secures the Scorpion tailpipe to the bike. Due to the design of the hanger, this pulled the tailpipe in closer to the rear wheel and, hey presto, not only created a gap between the rack and tailpipe, but also meant that the rack cleared the tailpipe so any soft pannier fitted to it wouldn't be at risk of resting on it and probsbly melting!
Doing this created another problem in itself - the hanger isn't a true 'Y' shape, so the mounting holes no longer line-up (they’re about 45mm apart). I sorted that temporarily with a piece of flat plate to join them together, though I've asked John at RR if he'll fabricate a new hanger that will line up correctly.
If you have Rally Raid soft luggage racks on your G310 and they look like mine did when I first fitted them - see the pics I posted earlier in this thread - then I'd suggest you do the same as I did, otherwise you're likely to lose the contents of your pannier down the road if the tailpipe melts a nice big hole in it (the Scorpion tailpipe doesn't run stupidly hot, but I still wouldn't want to take the risk!)! Having the pannier rack clear of the tailpipe also means that it will offer more protection to the tailpipe in the event of a spill.
These pics show how my rack now looks in relation to the exhaust.
IMG_2060.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG (308.46 KiB) Viewed 854 times
IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2059.JPG (240.26 KiB) Viewed 854 times
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG (210.11 KiB) Viewed 854 times

Return to “BIKES”