three years on a honda rally review

The Things We Ride
bikenav

Re: three years on a honda rally review

Post by bikenav »

Thank you for taking the time, its the kind of bike you just can not get excited about, but when you ride a lot most of the time your real expectation is not going to be excitement anyway its enjoyment , years ago I bought a XT350 just because it was cheap turned out be a real enjoyable bike, this bike similar class I guess.
FallingDown

Post by FallingDown »

minkyhead wrote: ↑Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 am
FallingDown wrote: ↑Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:35 am Nice video Steve thanks for sharing it.

I got a Rally at the end of last year to have something to do over the winter time when I want to wrap the road bike in blanket. Im lucky enough to have trails starting minutes from my house so a little road legal enduro seemed the way to go. Was originally looking for a 250L to keep things basic but I loved the look of the Rally and when one came up at a good price I couldn't resist.

Never had so much fun on a bike in my life. Genuinely shocked at what it can do, like you say especially as a lot of people moan about the weight and suspension.i changed the rear sprocket for a 42 which made the gearing much better for me both on and off road. I agree no matter how hard you slam it, how deep the water is you drop it in it never feels like it won't get you home. I've had orange lights on for a while but it seems to self heal like Wolverine.

I have a question about suspension if you don't mind. I'm a fat lad and the rear does cause me problems off road but nothing major. I'm thinking about replacing the spring with one more suitable for my weight, although I could really do without adding any extra height. Have you had any experience of the Hyperpro progressive springs? Or am I wasting my money and better off putting it towards a better shock overall?

Thanks
Glenn
tbo glenn if your keeping the bike long term id just bite the bullet and fit a better shock ..even with the i/e spring on if you wind the limited preload up it sits higher and the spring is obviously soft ..my take on it is the actual compresion damping isnt that bad ..but the rebound cant really cope even with the standard spring id guess that you can fel it kicking/tugging on the rear now and again if thats the case a stronger spring will make that worse still as it does blow to quick through the upstroke so you get a pattery type of feeling on babuy head rocky stuff ..that i think is the shocks main problem rather than the spring itself ..if it had a adjustable rebound or a better stack it wouldnt be as choppy ..then when it blows up through the stroke it levers downon the front ...so the rear can help the front too
ive been using firefox racing at keighly for a while now they do yss ohlins ...but the reason i use em over some of the other vendors is they can rebuild the shock service it or revalve them in a short turnaround by post .. last i looked they were doing a yss with a big boy spring for around 320
knowing a lot of the trails in northwales id bite the bullet and get a shock ...... hope that helps
Really helpful thanks. Dialing in the suspension on my Africa Twin made a huge difference both on and off (not that far off!) road. I'd never paid much attention to suspension before, maybe adjusting the rear preload for a passenger if I remembered but that bike changed all that.

I don't have much experience off road so to me at the moment the main thing I'm noticing is it bottoming out. Didn't want to be in the position where I wait 2 or 3 years to upgrade the shock then kick myself for not having done earlier. Your description of the negative effect makes sense even though I may not realise what's happening. I'll be sure to give Firefox a call. Thanks mate. Appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed response.
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

Chasing Bob and Neil across North Yorks I can testify to their suprising turn of speed and handling on the tarmac. And seeing one taken up a waterfall by Scooby at Longtown last year was very impressive! Great bike.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Great work Mr Minky,

I agree mine has become my only bike and does everything I need it to.

Cheers

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Nice one Minky, always a pleasure to see your posts, sensible , practice no nonsense report. I still have the gp450 and love it , done a few mods like Mdm breather etc , 20,000 miles now trouble free πŸ‘. Sounds like the rally would be a good buy ? Happy riding Braasaaaap
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Whippet wrote: ↑Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:05 am Nice one Minky, always a pleasure to see your posts, sensible , practice no nonsense report. I still have the gp450 and love it , done a few mods like Mdm breather etc , 20,000 miles now trouble free πŸ‘. Sounds like the rally would be a good buy ? Happy riding Braasaaaap
ow you doin ? yes still with me gp as well ...6 years where does the time go ? idea was to take the strain off the gp as somtimes locally especially its kind of wasted somwhat ..so i kind of share out the rides between the crfs and the ccm .... i treat me ccm a bit more like a ktm when it comes to servicing ..I were getting it stripped down to the bare bike and shipped to bulgaria before this virus kyboshed it all .. when you can see far enough ahead and have the room it still is a very very exciting machine ..and on this one there was a luggage vehicle so i was really looking forward to leaning her down to the bare componants and letting her go ....theres so few places in the uk where you can pin a 450 with any certanty or period of time ......i find with the crfs its as easy as anything to use ... ride to work hooning around the moss locally and generally doing all the stuff you really dont need a big banger for ......both great bikes for me ...

keep well
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Barftone wrote: ↑Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:34 am Chasing Bob and Neil across North Yorks I can testify to their suprising turn of speed and handling on the tarmac. And seeing one taken up a waterfall by Scooby at Longtown last year was very impressive! Great bike.
think scoobys thinks hes still on his trials bike ..and neil the same ...good riders and good company

braaaaaap
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
jkay

Post by jkay »

Great review and for info brooks suspension have had YSS rear shock for the rally for only Β£265 ,I've ordered one for the cb500x I got from Lancashire lad
Thanks again
Last edited by jkay on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GFJ1

Post by GFJ1 »

Enjoyed that. Nice riding too. Thanks.
cowling

Post by cowling »

Just spotted this review Steve, bloody brilliant review of a great bike, I loved my crf250l , but do prefer the rally, better looks, road manners, and tank range. Can't beat them for the stuff I do. Chased and passed much bigger bikes on the road, and much smaller bikes on the trails. A do it all bike, and there's not many of them about.

πŸ‘

Return to β€œBIKES”