NC 750 thread

The Things We Ride
Chris S

'NC800' Africa Twin

Post by Chris S »

No interest in the 'NC800' Africa Twin mentioned on MCN?
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... dleweight/
Looks more than the usual speculation.

I bought a current-gen NC750X last summer and loved it as a road bike.
But it would have been too hard to convert effectively to any type of adv/scrambler.

Trying an AT now but mpg is nothing special and weight is high and don't need 90hp for what I do.
An NC-AT would be a lot more fun than the bland-but-frugal 500X.
egw.jpg
egw.jpg (76.26 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
mark vb

Re: NC 750 thread

Post by mark vb »

I like the way MCN refer to a 'small capacity' Africa Twin.... at 790cc's!! That makes my AT, at 750cc, positively puny! Being breaking news from MCN, one needs to take it with a pinch of salt 🙂
Honda lost a trick in ignoring the 'small capacity' adv bike sector. That's why I bought a T7. Having said that, I suspect any new AT will be stuffed with electronic gizmos - which would I think rule me out as a buyer.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I had not seen the proposed NC790 AT .. but the engine would make a great trail puller. .. plenty of low down torque, and very good control at very low revs.

I went onto a trail by mistake yesterday, and I felt very nervous on the mud ..(more so than I usually am) .. as even though the engine is low with low COG, it still felt top heavy .. but I had weight in the frunk.

I think it would be a mistake to give the new bike a budget suspension … ohlins and brembos make a great combination. .. and would give the new bike a good chance to compete. ….. good trail wheels and knobbly tyres would make all the difference .. but the weight would have to get down a lot compared with the 230kg of the nc750s .. so a lightweight ali frame would be good.

In this case you would not recognise the bike as from a std nc.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

ps … this could be a great opportunity fro Honda to make a low seat Medium capacity trail bike, as the nc 750 engine is tilted forward, so leaving plenty of room in the V created above, for a much lower seat.

Honda answered my prayers for a high torque, low rev, easy to ride bike .. with the NC750dct.

I hope they do the same for a lower seat trail version 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
EWR

Post by EWR »

I couldn't warm to my DCT Africa Twin - maybe it's because I'm getting older and less able, but I found it just too heavy, unwieldy, poorly finished in places and lacking in any enjoyment.

It rode nicely enough but I never gelled with it and so downsized to a NC750X DCT: it does everything the AT did on the road, but better and with added convenience, and I now save any off-road excursions for something more suitable.

I loved my original XRV 750 and it's the only bike I regret selling - a contemporary, but no-frills version, of that would be nice.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

EWR wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:15 pm I couldn't warm to my DCT Africa Twin - maybe it's because I'm getting older and less able, but I found it just too heavy, unwieldy, poorly finished in places and lacking in any enjoyment.

It rode nicely enough but I never gelled with it and so downsized to a NC750X DCT: it does everything the AT did on the road, but better and with added convenience, and I now save any off-road excursions for something more suitable.

I loved my original XRV 750 and it's the only bike I regret selling - a contemporary, but no-frills version, of that would be nice.
I have heard a few complain about the AT .. front brakes binding, poor finish in parts ..etc..

I like the looks, personally, but its just too tall and heavy for me

Glad you liked the NC750X dct … looks good with all the original luggage as a package, and great feeling to ride .. with that extra inch of height
I went for the S version as it is lower and easier to knock about wales on
.. also a lot easier to service, though that is never very often, as no farings to speak of.

I also have gone for the 2-bike solution … a good reliable real-world economic easy to ride bike .. and a small trail bike
.. trouble is I have sold the small trail bike, (but am enjoying the Emtb) .. and hoping to get a light small trail bike perhaps next year?

As I already have said .. I think it would take a lot of change (chassis) to get the NC into a real viable one-bike-do-it-all bike, as opposed to a pretend adventure bike.
Coppice

Post by Coppice »

There were patents filed for a new transalp so I think the baby africa twin will actually be a transalp. I cant see it having fancy brakes or suspension though and the T7 has set a good benchmark to beat
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

As mentioned, the 'AT800' would have to lose a lot of weight but I wonder if a lot of it is in the engine, like a 250L?
In which case they'll just make it a flash, budget learners' bike. Nothing for us there.

Must say I think I prefered the 750X to the current AT. Had it down to 37mpg last week in a headwind.
Made it with a pint and a half in the tank
EWR

Post by EWR »

I never saw more than 48mpg from my AT DCT, even riding moderately: my NC returns 75mpg + on a similar run, handles better, rides well and the drop in power isn't really that noticeable to progress, even though the NC isn't much lighter than the AT.

Fit and finish is great, tank trunk is revelation and it's tubeless with no spokes to rust or come loose...always raises eyebrows when I say I prefer it to the AT. Easier to clean too...
dave h

Post by dave h »

Practice load up for next week's camping weekend in South Wales,
IMG_20210516_144041.jpg
IMG_20210516_144041.jpg (137.6 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Dave.

Return to “BIKES”