Trail Bike advice please

The Things We Ride
Snaf MKII

Re: Trail Bike advice please

Post by Snaf MKII »

phil_h wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:46 am A dealer has told me that ktm are saying that the 2021 models will likely only have cosmetic changes. And no tasty deals available :(
There will be a lot of people hanging on in case that deal comes along though. I guess there won't be a 2020 model Sixday as the event is postponed until 2021.
I must admit we're in the market for 2 new bikes and hadn't considered the 500 due to experience of the 525. We currently run 2002 KTM 350 RFS and had thought the new 350 would be it's natural replacement.
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

I've finally plumped for a super clean 12hours 338miles 67reg FE350 for 5995
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

sounds good … where you buy it from?
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

rwf at alfreton. I was the 5th to make him an offer, so after missing 3 others, I paid his price.
2021 890 Adventure R
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

So... laning mods - whats best ?

proper handguards
better bashplate ?
case covers ?
strap loops front and rear
tether on brake lever
tool bag
bendy plate
spare levers ?
2021 890 Adventure R
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

phil_h wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:28 pm rwf at alfreton. I was the 5th to make him an offer, so after missing 3 others, I paid his price.
I find dealers rarely move from their listed price, and rarely give anywhere near the real value of the bike going in as part ex .. so if ya wants the bike ya gotta suck it up.

Unless they got a special promotion on.

I seem to lose over 1000 on my old bike and pay over 1000 more for the new bike than what I think its really worth?

But it saves several months of selling hassle , privately. and you get the bike you want .. immediately.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

phil_h wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:51 pm So... laning mods - whats best ?

proper handguards
better bashplate ?
case covers ?
tether on brake lever
tool bag
bendy plate
spare levers ?
I only ever did slow, low level trail riding, being an oap, but all I ever needed was a bash plate, basic tool kit under the seat, more tools in a back pack. heated grips, rear rack for extra gear and grabbing the bike, good wrap round hand guards.

Never needed extra hand levers as the hand guards did their work, same for engine guards, not needed, and kept the oem gear change and brake foot levers, as they bend better than alloy ones.

Faster, better riders will say more stuff.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The single most important mod is the correct set of tyres for your use.

Trail and adventure bikes are pretty much defined by their tyres. No one tyre will do it all well. Pirelli MT21s seem to tick a lot of boxes, but don't excel at anything. Loads of people here will give advice if asked!

The next most important mod is setting the tyres at the correct pressure for the ground you are running on.

And the next most important mod is the purchase of at least one spare air filter, that you can keep clean and oiled so you aren't tempted to run with a dirty one.
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

phil_h wrote:So... laning mods - whats best ?

proper handguards
better bashplate ?
case covers ?
tether on brake lever
tool bag
bendy plate
spare levers ?
You’ll want a basic tool kit, spare levers, handguards will save your levers but carry a clutch lever at least, the KTM stock plastic bash plate is fine unless your doing a lot of rocky stuff, Spare tubes is a must unless running mousses and know how to change a tube..but the best mod if your into spending a bit of money is get the suspension set up for your weight (in riding gear) ... and the spend the rest of the money you have on petrol !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

prg4967 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:27 am You’ll want a basic tool kit, spare levers, handguards will save your levers but carry a clutch lever at least, the KTM stock plastic bash plate is fine unless your doing a lot of rocky stuff, Spare tubes is a must unless running mousses and know how to change a tube..but the best mod if your into spending a bit of money is get the suspension set up for your weight (in riding gear) ... and the spend the rest of the money you have on petrol !
Are the Motion Pro compact tool kits worth it ? They do look well thought out.

I'm sold on the lever - I bent my front brake lever downwards rolling my big gs upside down. I'd rather have both so I can get down a hill safely if I break one ! I dont like getting stranded !

Good to have an opinion on the std bash plate - I've got a thicker alloy one on my big gs, but they are a touch heavier of course. I did a bit of rock stuff when I was younger and would rather not go mad now :) They hurt a lot more when you get it wrong and youre old.

Simon P spits at metal bash plates on enduros - but why is plastic better ?

I forgot about tubes - is carrying 1 big enough for the front actually ok ? (Years of experience with puncture kits and tyre levers ;) ) What are the best tyre levers ? Motion Pro with a ring end look nice, but they are not cheap !

I'll be on the bottom of the scale for the std suspension, and I've read that they are softish as std (heavy testers ?) so I'm hoping that it'll be fine once I click it about a bit. (Years of playing with full-sus mtbs)
2021 890 Adventure R
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike

Return to “BIKES”