Trail Bike advice please

The Things We Ride
prg4967

Re: Trail Bike advice please

Post by prg4967 »

phil_h wrote:
prg4967 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:27 am You’ll want a basic tool kit, spare levers, handguards will save your levers but carry a clutch lever at least, the KTM stock plastic bash plate is fine unless your doing a lot of rocky stuff, Spare tubes is a must unless running mousses and know how to change a tube..but the best mod if your into spending a bit of money is get the suspension set up for your weight (in riding gear) ... and the spend the rest of the money you have on petrol !
Are the Motion Pro compact tool kits worth it ? They do look well thought out.

I'm sold on the lever - I bent my front brake lever downwards rolling my big gs upside down. I'd rather have both so I can get down a hill safely if I break one ! I dont like getting stranded !

Good to have an opinion on the std bash plate - I've got a thicker alloy one on my big gs, but they are a touch heavier of course. I did a bit of rock stuff when I was younger and would rather not go mad now :) They hurt a lot more when you get it wrong and youre old.

Simon P spits at metal bash plates on enduros - but why is plastic better ?

I forgot about tubes - is carrying 1 big enough for the front actually ok ? (Years of experience with puncture kits and tyre levers ;) ) What are the best tyre levers ? Motion Pro with a ring end look nice, but they are not cheap !

I'll be on the bottom of the scale for the std suspension, and I've read that they are softish as std (heavy testers ?) so I'm hoping that it'll be fine once I click it about a bit. (Years of playing with full-sus mtbs)
I’ve got the MP trail kit and it’s ok but KTMs don’t need a big assortment of spanners anyway...can’t remember exactly what’s in the tool kit..6,8,10,12 maybe 13mm a few torx bits..and obviously a wheel but spanner...from memory the MP trail tool doesn’t have torx bits...
The alloy bash plate is useful if you going over the big stuff as it slides easier on contact, although if your not going to be doing that stick with the plastic one, they are more durable that you think, and cuts down on the engine noise somehow...
If your going full levers throw in a gear lever too..you ain’t going anywhere if you can’t change gear, these can be zip ties in the air box...
Moron pro tyre levers are great..a couple of different sizes for the wheel nuts and a third if your feeling flash for the rim lock..
A nice tail pack to keep the tools & tube(s) in, Enduristan make some good waterproof kit
A front tube is fine..that’ll do both..
Still think about servicing your suspension...unless it’s been done recently...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

I thought I'd post an update, as I've ridden quite a few bikes now :)

1. FE350 - ditched that because its too ready-to-race, and just wasnt fun at the end of a day-ride when youre too tired to be on your a-game
2. Alp200 - went everywhere but was absolutely gutless, no fun at all, so that went.
3. Freeride250F - that is also going as its still the same KTM rev-monster-250-engine as the EXCF and I think small-engine-soundtracks are just not my cup of tea
4. Xtrainer 300 - absolutely loving it. Immense low-down-torque. Super-creamy throttle response.
5. EXCF500 - waiting proper prep in the garage... just in case ;)
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
berin

Post by berin »

phil_h wrote:So... laning mods - whats best ?

proper handguards
better bashplate ?
case covers ?
strap loops front and rear
tether on brake lever
tool bag
bendy plate
spare levers ?
If you’re going to fall off a lot, proper handguards are a good investment. Cycra are the best in my experience for lighter bikes, HDB for 690 and up.

Strap loop for sure,people will grab bodywork otherwise when pulling you out of a ditch.

I’ve never broken a lever with Cycra’s fitted, but they weigh nothing.

I don’t like a tool bag on the bike, hinders getting on and off unless you’re tall. Rucksack, or Kriega OS base https://kriega.com/adventure/os-combo-12 or Mosko Moto reckless 10 https://moskomoto.eu/collections/rackle ... 3470426191 if you don’t want to carry stuff. Personally I use a Kriega 15 rucksack.

If it has a baseplate no need to change it, I’ve never fitted case covers either, but if you’re often riding very hard rocky trails might be worthwhile.

Bendy plate, yes, but make it a legal size to avoid plod related issues.

Fit a fan if it hasn’t got one. And think about mousses, pros and cons. I do use them, saves taking a puncture kit but they are expensive.

If you’re riding in winter heated grips https://www.juddracing.com/products/ktm ... QCEALw_wcB that fit under normal grips are a godsend. I wire them to the KTM indicator switch which is usually removed but comes in the box.

Happy trail riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “BIKES”