Re: not a proper adventure bike

Post by ollydog »

think you are just another gs hater and the guy was on a sports bike lol

gs rider
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

catcitrus wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:08 pm
Where are the modern GS owners?-- standing up for their adventure points of view?
Sitting here graciously while not feeling so insecure that we need to attack anybody with an alternative point of view. That is not meant as a passive/aggressive response but purely in a way that accepts anybody on any bike.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

Back in 1989 I sold my BMW K100RS and bought a GS. This was the start of the era of the big trailie - Cagiva Elefant, Africa Twin, DR Big etc. The GS was the only option for us as we were planning a 2 up trip to Cape Town. When we got back we almost immediately moved to France and whilst still using the bike didn’t really see any bike media for a few years. When the internet got fired up I found everyone was pigeon holing bikes into very specific uses which I found very strange.

My point is that, in reality, we could have done the trip to Cape Town on the K100RS or any other bike that could carry 2 with a lot of luggage but we chose to use the GS as it offered more practicality and, as it turned out, made some of the rough going a bit more manageable. Quite when the term ‘adventure’ came in, I’m not sure, but the marketing types have worked their magic on it to the point that any modern day sensible potential overlander wouldn’t dream of going on anything less than an adventure model.
Last edited by Magnon on Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:23 pm
Where are the modern GS owners?-- standing up for their adventure points of view?
OK, I’ll bite on that one.

A relatively modern F800GS, 10 years owned, 126,750 miles ridden in 46 countries on 4 continents. A fair bit of it with a sidecar attached.
A lot of that felt like an adventure I can tell you.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Is this ridiculous thread still dragging on - it must be raining
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Flipflop wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:16 pm Is this ridiculous thread still dragging on - it must be raining
Windy too.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yep .. windy and raining .. :lol:
anyway .. :roll:
I think my most memorable adventure was on an X7 … Suzuki 250 2T .. bought for peanuts second hand, and with a massive bang bulge to the front wheel rim .. it was so smooth in acceleration, hard to explain the sheer smoothness to high revs, tho the brakes were poor as all brakes were in those days .. must have been the seventies?

went to france, my favourite destination .. to seek the med sea .. got there after many wonders of france.. Abbeville, central massive, that beautiful orange girl on the side of the road selling oranges, the sleep in the pear orchard, passing through those fields of sunflowers, orange the romans, roman aqueducts, pont du gard, and then .. a little pool that was covered in reads... part of the med ….!! the beach, swimming in the med, meeting some welsh lads ...etc etc etc

first love is the deepest 8-) 8-) 8-)
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

garyboy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:12 pm swimming in the med, meeting some welsh lads ...etc etc etc

first love is the deepest 8-) 8-) 8-)
So how did the holiday romance pan out?

Are you still together?

😆😚
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

OnHellas wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Tonibe63 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:23 pm
OK, I’ll bite on that one.

A relatively modern F800GS, 10 years owned, 126,750 miles ridden in 46 countries on 4 continents. A fair bit of it with a sidecar attached.
A lot of that felt like an adventure I can tell you.
But thats a parallel twin with chain drive that BMW have decided to call a GS--not a hulking great flat twin with shaft drive--and a good choice on size , configuration and weight.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

USe the bike you have...

Return to “BIKES”