Never gonna buy a honda again

The Things We Ride
sexysi

Never gonna buy a honda again

Post by sexysi »

So an update on the crappy fuel tanks that Honda fit to their 2018 bikes. Honda have offered me 1 years extra warranty and a localised spray job on the rust on my frame. Spoke to a girl called Victoria in the UK and she said I couldn't reject my bike as it was over 6 months old. I told her to go and read the Consumers rights Act 2015 section 24 about a customer rejecting a bike......They have no clue. She stated that Honda UK would not support a bike rejection and I would need to reject it with Maidstone Honda, which was a surprise to Dan at Maidstone. So now the battle begins, time to talk to citzens advice and a solicitor.... Just to note this has come from honda and I quote " Gold wheels not covered by warranty claims, due to Chlorine and salt damage"
So don't ride your bike in the UK at winter. If the wheels are pitted already then tough.
Frame repairs now are done, by local guys that rub it down and spray it. So like me if you have rust on your frame after a year, that's the fix.
This is the big one, I do not know if this effects all AT's but for context mine is an early 2018 ATAS.
Fuel starvation problems are due to, I quote " The fuel tank from new contains reminents of substances from the factory which shed over time, causing debris in the fuel tank and blocking the pump and injectors"
Don't forget this happened twice on 2 different tanks for me, hence why I am rejecting the bike.
So be warned if you do get loss of power or your bike starts spluttering this is the reason.
At least we now know that Honda replaced my fault tank with another faulty tank.
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

OnHellas

Re: Never gonna bike a honda again

Post by OnHellas »

Not a nice story to hear. But well done for getting that far with your complaint.
If it was me I think that I would be now be pursuing the supplying dealer re rejecting the bike.
As you’ve posted before, you’re not necessarily expecting a full refund. An allowance on another bike perhaps would be a compromise, if a full refund or replacement bike isn’t forthcoming, and as Maidstone Honda is part of a multi franchise dealership then you maybe able to negotiate a bike from a different marque.

Keep going. Keep calm (a tough one that) and good luck.
DavidS

Re: Never gonna buy a honda again

Post by DavidS »

Sad to read under any circumstance but more so from a firm such as Honda. Hope you get a fair resolution soon.
It can easily take more than 6 months for a fault to manifest itself, particularly with our weather and road condition extremes.

I think Triumph did the same thing with their polished engine covers a few years ago. The maintenance requirements seemed crazy considering it was just highly polished alloy. My old Jublilee Bonneville back in 1977 at least had chromed covers so were protected. The response now certainly seemed to be ‘tough luck’.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Seems to me that manufacturers don't intend their products to be actually used. Most modern bikes seem to be intended to be ridden for short distances in fine weather, then traded for a new one with more electronic features.

It's only a matter of time before your new motorcycle will be delivered with a head-up display giving a rider's eye view of the world's scenic routes, and you can sit on it and watch them while sitting in your garage.

One of the things I really like about the Royal Enfield 650 is that there are no modes, screens or stupid little switches: you can just start it up and ride without worrying whether you left the wheelie control switched off.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:29 pm One of the things I really like about the Royal Enfield 650 is that there are no modes, screens or stupid little switches: you can just start it up and ride without worrying whether you left the wheelie control switched off.
Not sure it would ever really need one of those, Richard... :lol:
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Your legal redress is against the supplying dealer with whom you have a contract and not with the motorcycle manufacturer. The manufacturer may hold the final purse strings for repairs, etc, but it is the dealer that effectively takes the hit. The dealer may be prepared to offer additional services or exchange but that would really be as a matter of goodwill if additional to the stated terms of the manufacturer's warranty. The dealer only repairs under the manufacturer's standards of performance and if they are not very good then you are unlikely to get more help.

Normally any repairs or replacements do not extend the warranty time, so effectively a new part fitted at 11 months into a twelve month warranty only has one month's warranty left. Most manufacturers have a goodwill system so depending upon the circumstances depends the response.

In my experience in the car world I have found Kia and Jaguar to be the best and most generous in the goodwill department. Norton, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Hinckley Triumph used to be very customer goodwill focused.

Stay friendly with your dealership and see if they can apply pressure on the manufacturer for you or offer you extra goodwill. If not then it may cost you a lot of time and money to try and pursue a legal challenge.

TTFN

Hugh.
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Calls no logged with Honda finance, this is a PCP bike. Citizens advice, who have logged it with trading standards. DVSA 2 faults logged with them as its a dangerous fault. FCA cause im Paying for a PCP bike that has spent 2 months in a Honda garage.

Going for a full reject, which citizens advice say is what I should do, under the Consumer rights act.

The quality of goods includes their state and condition; and the following aspects (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—
fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied;
appearance and finish;
freedom from minor defects;
safety;
durability.

This is where they break their contract with me.

By law I have to allow honda to do this.

If the goods do not conform to the contract under section 15 or because of a breach of requirements that are stated in the contract, the consumer’s rights (and the provisions about them and when they are available) are—
the right to repair or replacement (section 23); and
the right to a price reduction or the final right to reject (sections 20 and 24).

It failed the second with the same problem.

Which moves on to section 24.

A consumer who has the right to a price reduction and the final right to reject may only exercise one (not both), and may only do so in one of these situations—
(a)
after one repair or one replacement, the goods do not conform to the contract;
(b)
because of section 23(3) the consumer can require neither repair nor replacement of the goods; or
(c)
the consumer has required the trader to repair or replace the goods, but the trader is in breach of the requirement of section 23(2)(a) to do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer.
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

Dirtmonkey

Post by Dirtmonkey »

I "backed" an early 2014 R1200GS LC after 6500mls due to several quality issues, whilst BMW refused a refund they did provide me with a brand new late 2015 bike at no further cost to myself. The replacement bike was faultless and a pleasure to own. I replaced that with a GSA in 2017 which again has been perfect.
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

Honda without a Doubt are the Worst Company to Deal with Regarding one of their Bikes/Products.Shortly after the Grey Import Affair were Customers were Saving Thousands Buying Honda Bikes from Other Countrys in Main Land Europe. I decided to Buy a Honda Transalp from an Official Honda Dealer on the Castlereagh Road in Belfast ( Because HONDA ) Would Guarantee their Bikes to be Legit and Would uphold the Warranty. About 200 Miles on the Clock and the Chain Broke at 30 MPH For No Aparrent Reason , The Dealer Refused to Provide me with a New Chain or Even meet me Half way on the Price of a New Chain , I contacted Honda uk who told me to send the Chain to them to Look at ( there were No Marks on the Chain ) the Side Plates had Broken at the Same part of the Chain .According to Honda uk Something had got into the run off the chain and Snapped it So there was Nothing they were prepaired to do . A couple of Months Later i Discovered the Service Book that was already filled in by another Owner after being told by the Honda Approved Dealer in Belfast They were waiting on Honda uk to send it over to them. Now the Previous Owner owned a Red and White Transalp with the Exact Same Frame and Engine Numbers that were on My Brand New Machine the Only Difference was the Transalp was now Blue and White .The Official Honda Dealers in Belfast Had Sold me a Second Hand Bike and Told me it Was a Brand New Bike,It had Packed up while the Original Owner was riding Home with 16 Miles on the Clock and he Rejected the Bike and got his money back.The Official Honda Dealers Told me the Mechanic had taken the Bike out for a Run to Make sure everything was ok and thats why there was 16 Miles on the Clock. I again Contacted Honda UK and they said Nothing to do with Them Take it up with the Dealer ( Who by this Stage had Sold up and Buggered off to Spain) i Contacted Honda UK again to tell them this to get the Same Reply Nothing to do with us. I will never buy any Honda Product as long as i Live
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

sexysi wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:38 pm Calls no logged with Honda finance, this is a PCP bike. Citizens advice, who have logged it with trading standards. DVSA 2 faults logged with them as its a dangerous fault. FCA cause im Paying for a PCP bike that has spent 2 months in a Honda garage.

Going for a full reject, which citizens advice say is what I should do, under the Consumer rights act.

The quality of goods includes their state and condition; and the following aspects (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—
fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied;
appearance and finish;
freedom from minor defects;
safety;
durability.

This is where they break their contract with me.

By law I have to allow honda to do this.

If the goods do not conform to the contract under section 15 or because of a breach of requirements that are stated in the contract, the consumer’s rights (and the provisions about them and when they are available) are—
the right to repair or replacement (section 23); and
the right to a price reduction or the final right to reject (sections 20 and 24).

It failed the second with the same problem.

Which moves on to section 24.

A consumer who has the right to a price reduction and the final right to reject may only exercise one (not both), and may only do so in one of these situations—
(a)
after one repair or one replacement, the goods do not conform to the contract;
(b)
because of section 23(3) the consumer can require neither repair nor replacement of the goods; or
(c)
the consumer has required the trader to repair or replace the goods, but the trader is in breach of the requirement of section 23(2)(a) to do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer.
hasd a similar issue with a bmw in 2005 ...final drives fuel pump brake failure ..chronic overheating yada yada ..but since then thousands have been bought and ridden ..and yes i were unlucky but that dont help when its you
personally id get it fixed under warranty and then trade it in for whatever ..and put it down to lifes rich pattern .honda will do a lot to protect the brand and if the relationship sours that much i wouldnt want to bang heads with barristers costing 300quid a hour

its a bike your never ever going to trust so id just bite the bullet fix it and get rid

whichever way you choose to go i wish you well
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”