2019 Honda CB500X review

The Things We Ride
Zookman

Re: 2019 Honda CB500X review

Post by Zookman »

dubber68 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:46 pm Hope the weather stays good and you can get some miles on her.
At least the rain, that we've had most of the week down here, stopped for today. But crazy high winds most of the day, which was fun (not) on my little 250 that was rode there to trade in. If there's one thing guaranteed, its to have some sort of shyte weather when i pick up a new bike.

I commented on OB1's thread a few weeks back about the high price of a 600 mile service, this was one of the rare occasions that i couldn't get this service thrown in with the deal on this CB.
So its..... £175 apparently !.... 2.5 L of oil, a filter and a check round. Gonna have to get quotes from other dealers and tempted to just go to my independant. But being a new model and wanting a definite no quibble warranty for at least the first year, i expect i'll have to bend over and let them shaft me.
Fitted folding mirrors and i have Givi monorack arms coming next week..... then i'll be waiting for whoever brings out crashbars.
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Zookman wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:05 pm
dubber68 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:46 pm Hope the weather stays good and you can get some miles on her.
At least the rain, that we've had most of the week down here, stopped for today. But crazy high winds most of the day, which was fun (not) on my little 250 that was rode there to trade in. If there's one thing guaranteed, its to have some sort of shyte weather when i pick up a new bike.

I commented on OB1's thread a few weeks back about the high price of a 600 mile service, this was one of the rare occasions that i couldn't get this service thrown in with the deal on this CB.
So its..... £175 apparently !.... 2.5 L of oil, a filter and a check round. Gonna have to get quotes from other dealers and tempted to just go to my independant. But being a new model and wanting a definite no quibble warranty for at least the first year, i expect i'll have to bend over and let them shaft me.
Fitted folding mirrors and i have Givi monorack arms coming next week..... then i'll be waiting for whoever brings out crashbars.
The similarities between our two purchases is uncanny. I pick mine up next week and will be riding there on my 250 which I am trading in. I opted for a £499 for the first three services deal that the dealer was offering for the same reasons you said about maintaining the warranty.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

dubber68 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:35 pm

The similarities between our two purchases is uncanny. I pick mine up next week and will be riding there on my 250 which I am trading in. I opted for a £499 for the first three services deal that the dealer was offering for the same reasons you said about maintaining the warranty.
I guess £499 for three services isn't bad, especially as the third is more involved. Maybe i should have have contemplated that myself.
But my usual routine is have the first 600 mile service done at the dealer. Then when the next service is due, there's only 10/11 months left of warranty, so i do that service myself and forget about the rest of the warranty. I figure if there's going to be an issue, it'll likely happen in the first 12 months. Its extremely rare for me to ever use the 2yr warranty on Jap bikes these days.
I also have deep mistrust of mechanics and I want to service my bikes myself. I know things are done properly then.
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Zookman wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:50 pm

I guess £499 for three services isn't bad, especially as the third is more involved. Maybe i should have have contemplated that myself.
But my usual routine is have the first 600 mile service done at the dealer. Then when the next service is due, there's only 10/11 months left of warranty, so i do that service myself and forget about the rest of the warranty. I figure if there's going to be an issue, it'll likely happen in the first 12 months. Its extremely rare for me to ever use the 2yr warranty on Jap bikes these days.
I also have deep mistrust of mechanics and I want to service my bikes myself. I know things are done properly then.
I have been known to put over 15k miles on a bike in 12 months so I kinda thought the deal made sense for me. Similar to yourself I tend to do my own servicing off of the service schedules they give you to show what they have done. I also tend to only have one or two valve checks done on shimmed valves and monitor how they are then skip the odd valve check if they are stable. I'm not recommending this but it has worked for me on my bikes.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Zookman

Post by Zookman »

dubber68 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:35 pm
Zookman wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:50 pm

I have been known to put over 15k miles on a bike in 12 months so I kinda thought the deal made sense for me. Similar to yourself I tend to do my own servicing off of the service schedules they give you to show what they have done. I also tend to only have one or two valve checks done on shimmed valves and monitor how they are then skip the odd valve check if they are stable. I'm not recommending this but it has worked for me on my bikes.
Yes, it does make sense with that sort of mileage.
My bikes are a few years old when i hit 15K
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Mickdb1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm stunning bike Paul = I like um too/ Thoughts on aventurizing it !!!!! :mrgreen:
Hi Mick, missed your post until I went back looking for some info. Yeah it will get some travel tweaks. If I get rid of the Sertao are you wanting any of the bits? Touratech shock, pannier rails etc etc.

dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Well, due to the crap weather forecast for tomorrow the dealer helped me out and rushed to get the bike ready for this afternoon. I must say the ride home was very good. Once back in the garage and it was time to set all the controls to my preferences. I was surprised that by rolling the bars forward a few degrees the bars seem to fit me while standing but a proper ride in that position will be needed to verify this. For info I am 6ft2. The preload was set on minimum on the rear so that was changed to the 3rd of 5 settings. Front preload was wound up by 2 full turns. Again ride and tweak will be needed but feels OK. I will check static sag tomorrow as well. On very close inspection the fit and finish looks very good with quality fasteners. Tomorrow will be a day of fitting my gadgets and Acf50 treating her.

Return to “BIKES”