Honda CRF250 Rally – best mods / upgrades

The Things We Ride
bowber

Re: Honda CRF250 Rally – best mods / upgrades

Post by bowber »

I took my wifes 250l for a spin before the lockdown, it brought back memories of my MTX 125 in the 80s, even though it's soft on the suspension I found if you put the effort in to ride it properly the suspension coped rather well with normal trails, I'd not want to race it but for spirited trail riding it was quite pleasant.
The handling was classic Honda and very forgiving, I'm still tempted by a Rally but I'm rather addicted to the power of the 701 at the moment :P

Steve
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Flipflop wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:31 pm Hi @scoobydidler and @boboneleg,

I am now getting there with my Rally, got most mods sorted now, and really happy with it. I have documented what I have done so far at the following blog: http://smallbikeadventures.home.blog just to try and help anyone else going on a similar journey.

The last area I need to sort out is the luggage. I am torn at the moment between the Altrider Hemisphere you guys are running, and the Giant Loop Great Basin. The question I have for you boys is this... I assume the altrider has straps at the bottom of each "leg", that you strap to the bike somewhere, on the subframe or something? I am looking at the side of my bike, and I am not sure I can find any decent mounting point where I could strap to, on either side of the bike. Where are you boys attaching the lower straps to on the Rally? Any info / pics would be really useful. Is it the same place you strap to on both sides, or different on each side? Really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Roy
one-legged adventurer
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Ooops......................

I loop mine through the frame just below the passenger footrests, just be careful on the exhaust side. I haven't had any problems with mounting mine like that.
one-legged adventurer
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

bowber wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:22 pm I took my wifes 250l for a spin before the lockdown, it brought back memories of my MTX 125 in the 80s, even though it's soft on the suspension I found if you put the effort in to ride it properly the suspension coped rather well with normal trails, I'd not want to race it but for spirited trail riding it was quite pleasant.
The handling was classic Honda and very forgiving, I'm still tempted by a Rally but I'm rather addicted to the power of the 701 at the moment :P

Steve
not sure you would be content with the rally stave ..i know you like to bob on a bit ,,that said if you riding with the missus the 701 would be a bit the other way ..i were out on the ccm and its proper quick its not far off 701 speeds ..but then theres the tyres ....still got me litle crf but thats gone 300 as well now about 4 years ago and 450x front like the rally ..it cost me a total of four grand to put together but ive had it 5 years and plan to have it another .. its going ok for a 8 year old pig
keep well

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hi all, I think my chain needs changing. Anyone know what the best upgrade chain is? The spockets still look good.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Brenhden wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:40 pm Hi all, I think my chain needs changing. Anyone know what the best upgrade chain is? The spockets still look good.

DID 520 ERVT
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Brenhden wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:40 pm Hi all, I think my chain needs changing. Anyone know what the best upgrade chain is? The spockets still look good.
I put DID 520 VX2 on mine, far superior to the o/e chain.
one-legged adventurer
OB1

Post by OB1 »

You can have fun on these without changing the suspension, gearing, tyres, etc. Just ride the bugger!

A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

boboneleg wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:03 pm
The chain kit arrived but instead of a vx2 I got a vx3, I can't find any info online about the differences, should I be secretly pleased with an upgrade or outraged?!?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Brenhden wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:28 am [

The chain kit arrived but instead of a vx2 I got a vx3, I can't find any info online about the differences, should I be secretly pleased with an upgrade or outraged?!?
[/quote]

I've never heard of VX3 before but having just googled it I reckon you've been upgraded, Result 8-)
one-legged adventurer

Return to “BIKES”