Honda CRF250 Rally – best mods / upgrades

The Things We Ride
MotoCP

Re: Honda CRF250 Rally – best mods / upgrades

Post by MotoCP »

Flipflop wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 pm Hi 250 Rally owners.

If I was to change my WR250R for a 250 Rally.........
Let me know if you decide to change.
I’ve never ridden a WRR but quite fancy trying one out.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

If I was to change my WR250R for a 250 Rally I would need more height and leg room. Tony Archer has raised all my bike-seats for me and that, coupled with an airhawk, would possibly sort out the leg room but I’m wondering if a YSS shock could lift the rear end a bit and, if so, would it be detrimental to the handling of the bike.
In the past my wife had a bike that had a lowered rear shock and the handling was badly affected.

Thanks for any info.
me and dave are pretty tall and find em ok with a hawk on ....a yss will lift the rear a lot with no detriment at all ..if your a bigger unit and want luggage go for a110 nm spring ..think theres 5 of us now with yss and all happy ... if you respring the rally its quite a tall bike im 6ft tall and 32 inseam and can just flatfoot it if that helps
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

MotoCP wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 pm

If I was to change my WR250R for a 250 Rally.........
Let me know if you decide to change.
I’ve never ridden a WRR but quite fancy trying one out.
If I do decide to sell I’ll probably stick an advert on this forum but it’s just preliminary thoughts at the moment.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

minkyhead wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:22 pm

If I was to change my WR250R for a 250 Rally I would need more height and leg room. Tony Archer has raised all my bike-seats for me and that, coupled with an airhawk, would possibly sort out the leg room but I’m wondering if a YSS shock could lift the rear end a bit and, if so, would it be detrimental to the handling of the bike.
In the past my wife had a bike that had a lowered rear shock and the handling was badly affected.

Thanks for any info.
me and dave are pretty tall and find em ok with a hawk on ....a yss will lift the rear a lot with no detriment at all ..if your a bigger unit and want luggage go for a110 nm spring ..think theres 5 of us now with yss and all happy ... if you respring the rally its quite a tall bike im 6ft tall and 32 inseam and can just flatfoot it if that helps
Thanks, yes it helps.
I’ve got a 35 inseam, a little bit under 17 stone and hoping to use the bike to travel outside Europe - having said all that it still sounds doable.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Went to look at one in the flesh today and very nice looking it was too. Looks like it wouldn’t take much raise the seat a bit but when I sat on it it practically bottomed out with my weight :? So a new shock would be a must - although I’m a bit heavy at the moment and intend to shed half a stone.
Test ride in the spring I think 8-)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Flipflop wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:06 pm Went to look at one in the flesh today and very nice looking it was too. Looks like it wouldn’t take much raise the seat a bit but when I sat on it it practically bottomed out with my weight :? So a new shock would be a must - although I’m a bit heavy at the moment and intend to shed half a stone.
its mental how they are set up on the shop floor ..i think its to allow little folks to get on it ..it will actually hold up ok ish with the limited preload cranked up but the shock is at best poor in function a 300 quid yss is allit needs .and it has a surprisingly good ride quality .. maby a stronger spring in the front and even with full luggage it holds up very well off road and im not light by any means ...the bike will sit tall and stay there ..i honestly find the rally pretty plush off road .. sure its soft for owt too fast or extream but it does a decent job in my view

i were wondering whats goin on with your crf 500 seems like a good option and a good build

a man of your talent will have no bother fettling the rally ...ive messed about with me crfs a lot but not to that extent ....ive just done a scutty on me crf 250/300 with a 450x front end ..but i dont feel like i really need to do it on the rally ..infact i were looking for a rally front for the crf as its imho much plusher than the older crf for sure ...but the front end was soo cheap ...theres no doubt that you could swop ouit a rally front for 450 front and make a big ish profit ..thats not the point i know but its cost nuteral at worst i think

still cant get me head round why you dont use the 500crf ...just wondering

cheers

ooops

Image29749526_826082127576912_1575687658952464014_o by minkyhead56, on Flickr

thays a bit more like it
ImageGrabbed Frame 110 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageGrabbed Frame 153 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

minkyhead wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:16 pm
Flipflop wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:06 pm Went to look at one in the flesh today and very nice looking it was too. Looks like it wouldn’t take much raise the seat a bit but when I sat on it it practically bottomed out with my weight :? So a new shock would be a must - although I’m a bit heavy at the moment and intend to shed half a stone.
its mental how they are set up on the shop floor ..i think its to allow little folks to get on it ..it will actually hold up ok ish with the limited preload cranked up but the shock is at best poor in function a 300 quid yss is allit needs .and it has a surprisingly good ride quality .. maby a stronger spring in the front and even with full luggage it holds up very well off road and im not light by any means ...the bike will sit tall and stay there ..i honestly find the rally pretty plush off road .. sure its soft for owt too fast or extream but it does a decent job in my view

i were wondering whats goin on with your crf 500 seems like a good option and a good build

a man of your talent will have no bother fettling the rally ...ive messed about with me crfs a lot but not to that extent ....ive just done a scutty on me crf 250/300 with a 450x front end ..but i dont feel like i really need to do it on the rally ..infact i were looking for a rally front for the crf as its imho much plusher than the older crf for sure ...but the front end was soo cheap ...theres no doubt that you could swop ouit a rally front for 450 front and make a big ish profit ..thats not the point i know but its cost nuteral at worst i think

still cant get me head round why you dont use the 500crf ...just wondering

cheers

ooops

Image29749526_826082127576912_1575687658952464014_o by minkyhead56, on Flickr

thays a bit more like it
ImageGrabbed Frame 110 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageGrabbed Frame 153 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
Hi Minky

You have me confused with someone else - it has happened before on another forum, we have a similar name.
Wish I did have that CRF500L :lol:
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I think you missed the 'dog' bit off Minky, I'm pretty sure the guy you're thinking off is called flipflopdog :lol:
one-legged adventurer
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Oops. Mistaken Identity
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Hi @scoobydidler and @boboneleg,

I am now getting there with my Rally, got most mods sorted now, and really happy with it. I have documented what I have done so far at the following blog: http://smallbikeadventures.home.blog just to try and help anyone else going on a similar journey.

The last area I need to sort out is the luggage. I am torn at the moment between the Altrider Hemisphere you guys are running, and the Giant Loop Great Basin. The question I have for you boys is this... I assume the altrider has straps at the bottom of each "leg", that you strap to the bike somewhere, on the subframe or something? I am looking at the side of my bike, and I am not sure I can find any decent mounting point where I could strap to, on either side of the bike. Where are you boys attaching the lower straps to on the Rally? Any info / pics would be really useful. Is it the same place you strap to on both sides, or different on each side? Really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Roy
[/quote]

Hi
Just read through your interesting blog so thanks for that.
Do you go on the Pyrenees trip - I’d really enjoy reading a write up right now - with photos obviously :D

Return to “BIKES”