Honda CRF250 Rally – best mods / upgrades

The Things We Ride
dibbs

Re: Honda CRF250 Rally – best mods / upgrades

Post by dibbs »

Thanks all, yeah i guess one just has to get used to not getting anywhere fast!!! im going to have to try this way of travel and see lol....
OB1

Post by OB1 »

dibbs wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm Thanks all, yeah i guess one just has to get used to not getting anywhere fast!!! im going to have to try this way of travel and see lol....

I get there at the same time as I would if I were riding the Tiger... :lol:

40 mph is fast in a 30 mph zone...
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

for those headed for Mongolia--watch the Grand Tour special-- from Mongolia--shows what its like and its a real hoot--those old boys earn their money!
OB1

Post by OB1 »

catcitrus wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am for those headed for Mongolia--watch the Grand Tour special-- from Mongolia--shows what its like and its a real hoot--those old boys earn their money!

Yeah. Mike, my riding buddy who is doing the Mongolian run with me, watched it the other night. Unfortunately (?) I don't have Amazon Prime so I can't watch it... thank god! :lol:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
laughing_mole

Post by laughing_mole »

Enjoying my Rally, but I find the bike sits near vertical on the sidestand - and I have to be careful when parking to ensure it's not sat on a camber. This is not a good situation for off-road... As I'm of modest height I don't want to increase the pre-load.

So I'm looking to take 1/2 - 3/4" off the sidestand right at the bottom next to the food. Then use JB Weld to secure it (I don't have a welding kit). I'm thinking this should be strong enough as the weld won't have tension on it. I may put an insert of metal to help beef up the joint before I glue it.

Anyone done this?
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Lol.... Remove atand and any fabricating shop will sort it for a little money, aim to see them at lunch time as beer money lol..
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

laughing_mole wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:00 am Enjoying my Rally, but I find the bike sits near vertical on the sidestand - and I have to be careful when parking to ensure it's not sat on a camber. This is not a good situation for off-road... As I'm of modest height I don't want to increase the pre-load.

So I'm looking to take 1/2 - 3/4" off the sidestand right at the bottom next to the food. Then use JB Weld to secure it (I don't have a welding kit). I'm thinking this should be strong enough as the weld won't have tension on it. I may put an insert of metal to help beef up the joint before I glue it.

Anyone done this?
if you bang the preload rings on the shock the bike will sit much higher and the sidestand will be fine .it sags terrible on standard setting ...if you put a new shock on ..you will want to extend the sidestand ..it shows how far off the sag is on the standard settings ...mine has a 3 inch block under it here and its a standard stand ..just smack the shock rings which need doing anyway and it will fine
ImageDSC_0929 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
laughing_mole

Post by laughing_mole »

Thanks Minky - but I didn't want to increase pre-load - bike is high enough as it is for me being 5' 8" on a good day..... :lol:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

laughing_mole wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:14 pm Thanks Minky - but I didn't want to increase pre-load - bike is high enough as it is for me being 5' 8" on a good day..... :lol:
i d get it welded then ...if you put a line through the foot and up the leg its easy to match up after cutting ..i wouldn think jb weld would be good enough for that job its a big strain on a very fine joint ...putting a bar inside would help of course but be carful the spring will hold the extra weight on the end ..i know some guys have replaced the rallys with one off a crf250l for the same reasons ..i think you need the 2017 stand as the pre 17 has a weak sping point and flaps
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Hi 250 Rally owners.

If I was to change my WR250R for a 250 Rally I would need more height and leg room. Tony Archer has raised all my bike-seats for me and that, coupled with an airhawk, would possibly sort out the leg room but I’m wondering if a YSS shock could lift the rear end a bit and, if so, would it be detrimental to the handling of the bike.
In the past my wife had a bike that had a lowered rear shock and the handling was badly affected.

Thanks for any info.

Return to “BIKES”