Suzuki drz 400

The Things We Ride
Nico-D

Re: Suzuki drz 400

Post by Nico-D »

beany wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:29 pm IMG_20180829_171918.jpg mine almost ready for the pyrenees leaving the 690 at home
Almost exact same setup that I've got on my DRZ.
P6152799.jpg
P6152799.jpg (125.87 KiB) Viewed 4648 times

..but curious as to why you're not taking the 690...
beany

Post by beany »

plain and simple drz,the bike came with big tank and luggage ready to go
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

In the past year I started with a KTM 450 EXC, followed by a Husky 310 TE, then a Beta XT and finally a 2002 DRZ S. IMHO all great bikes but for all round green laner and getting there and back on the tarmac the DRZ is King. I am on the look out for another, got to be in top nick and lowish miles and I am in green lane super land !
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Its funny how often the DRZ subject comes up, the "problem" is that it filled a void in the market that is now a gaping void with nothing
close.

Yes the gearing is poor, and yes its heavier than a proper enduro bike. However....I run a DRZ-E on road gearing and for the road and main trails I use in Hampshire and Wiltshire it is brilliant - very quick, comfortable and a lot cheaper to buy and run than a KTM/Husky/a.n.nother.

A 250 i.e. the CRF just hasn't got the power and any 650 is a lot less manageable off-road.
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
andrew882

Post by andrew882 »

I'm another DRZ evangalist - had an F800GS which was ace on the road and good on gentle lanes until my intentions outweighed my skill (which happens quite a lot). It's a heavy old barge to pick up when you're a mile from the road and on your own...

I bought the DRZ initially with the idea of keeping both but the only places the little Suzuki really suffers against the Beemer (in my humble opinion) is the outright power and toys... I don't really rag it on the road anymore. On lanes the DRZ really shows its (relative) lack of weight and I know if (when) I drop it it'll cost me £ to fix rather than £££. As a consequence I have a lot more fun. Even the comfort feels not that much different on longer trips.

So the bus went and the DRZ stayed.

If I was planning multiple tours of Europe I'd have kept the BMW, but then again I'd maybe get a litre plus ADV bike.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Thedktor wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:07 am Its funny how often the DRZ subject comes up, the "problem" is that it filled a void in the market that is now a gaping void with nothing
close.

Yes the gearing is poor, and yes its heavier than a proper enduro bike. However....I run a DRZ-E on road gearing and for the road and main trails I use in Hampshire and Wiltshire it is brilliant - very quick, comfortable and a lot cheaper to buy and run than a KTM/Husky/a.n.nother.

A 250 i.e. the CRF just hasn't got the power and any 650 is a lot less manageable off-road.
thats why i persist with the crfs with engine swaps ..theres nothing nowt nada between the low power250s and the 690 and already having run a drz for a long while id have no qualms about running another id love to buy a eighteen month old drz witrh sod all milage and have a pop at that gearbox on me 2nd take ..but they are imho just too old now to commit

i wish also they had the honda sprocket system where you can swap out in a few minuts with a 10ml spanner instead of the feck off big 32ml? sprocket nut and tab so that you could run down to where your going and then swap for a a few days when its gets more knarly or steep
i use the 300 cbr motors cos they have a surprising amount of punch especially when you drop a one tooth less on the front ..31hp isnt that bad and not that far off a standard drz s in power ... and if you gear it like for like they are surprisingly good but the extreamly low primary drive on the drz will always punch harder and so it should its design brief is different and the drz is way more dynamic because of it ..but on long trips dynamic isnt always whats needed most of the time ..the fi systems are amazing ..even on long road gearing the crfs or the klx will pull 5th with no complaint from 25mph ..they are just far less fussy as to what gear your in ..as lazy as feck

..but the main thing above that is it has the gearbox the drz should have for travel ..a tiny 1st gear and a long 6th and enough power to ,pull it ..as a plus it also averages around 80mpg so me 12 litre tank is more than enough for 200 plus miles
ive got me klx 250 as well and have plans to make that a 351 ..when the fi kit is sorted in the usa ...that should come in at around 600 quid to do ...and its not a bad chassis at all as a base i like it.. pretty capable little bike ...

isnt it strange and frustrating that the bikes with the least power get the gearboxes that the bikes with most power need ...... :?:

all good fun

Image02a709b13aa22b7be7dd0398b2e94378 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Image90aa1f06c733a703c5a131513545bb0b by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Imagehigh parker moor by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

I have the DRZ400s too. Have done a couple of trips on it fully loaded and does me fine. 200 mile range and sits at 64mph all day without too much buzzing (real satnav 64 = 72 on the clocks). I have a Trailtech Vapor to go on so hopefully that should read more accurately. Nice to have 100kgs lighter that the ATs I have. Had a great time at last years ABR on the enduro circuit too

Here it is fully loaded. The tent makes a great lower back rest for long hours in the saddle
20160911_114444.jpg
20160911_114444.jpg (164.69 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

andrew882 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:29 am I'm another DRZ evangalist - had an F800GS which was ace on the road and good on gentle lanes until my intentions outweighed my skill (which happens quite a lot). It's a heavy old barge to pick up when you're a mile from the road and on your own...

I bought the DRZ initially with the idea of keeping both but the only places the little Suzuki really suffers against the Beemer (in my humble opinion) is the outright power and toys... I don't really rag it on the road anymore. On lanes the DRZ really shows its (relative) lack of weight and I know if (when) I drop it it'll cost me £ to fix rather than £££. As a consequence I have a lot more fun. Even the comfort feels not that much different on longer trips.

So the bus went and the DRZ stayed.

If I was planning multiple tours of Europe I'd have kept the BMW, but then again I'd maybe get a litre plus ADV bike.
I had the F800gs and bought a DRZ400s for off roading but ended up selling the BMW and sticking luggage on my DRZ.
herman

Post by herman »

Just for a bit of balance and I am feeling a bit cantankerous after an 'interesting afternoon' … I don't like em at all. I have had two and both were sold quickly. Bastard child of a trials bike and a sofa.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

herman wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:37 pm Just for a bit of balance and I am feeling a bit cantankerous after an 'interesting afternoon' … I don't like em at all. I have had two and both were sold quickly. Bastard child of a trials bike and a sofa.
Do wish you would start saying what you really mean...

Return to “BIKES”