Electric Bikes... the Future?

The Things We Ride
OB1

Re: Electric Bikes... the Future?

Post by OB1 »

Andi_Archer wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 am Thats not quite the same "need" for the end user .A reliable and long lasting mode of transport with a long range of travel is called for and there is no saying a model bought now will have software or even hardware support in five to ten years ala iphone models. A 1960s ford still has parts available some 50 years down the road so in essence they would just be expensive land fill acquisitions.

A 1960s Ford only has parts available because of enthusiasts and that will happen for any popular or cult vehicle. My first car was a 1967 Wolesley 1300 and it was difficult enough finding a second-hand quarterlight for it in 1990. But this is all getting off the topic. There is anecdotal evidence for any side of any argument.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Tonibe63 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:43 am what we actually need to use them for ie. why commute so far, why do we need to travel miles for business meetings, why do we need to use them for leisure,
Because businesses tend to be city centric, but house prices dictate that we can't afford to live in said cities and there often isn't public transport that's available or affordable.

ICE vehicles are often the best way to get there & back.

And as for why we need them for leisure - because buggered if I'm working all bloody week and not enjoying life to the max when I'm off!!! :D

D
dave h

Post by dave h »

just come across this,

maybe if the price is right we may want one over petrol power just for the hell of it,

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... motorbike/

dave.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

dave h wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:44 pm just come across this,

maybe if the price is right we may want one over petrol power just for the hell of it,

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... motorbike/

dave.
It occurred to me that we are probably going to have so much fun with electric vehicles. Not now, but in our old age, when a smashed up donor zero etc. can used to enhance mobility scooters reasonably cheaply.

Have you seen the light, is this what the outfit is for, attach a motor, stuff it full of batteries and go like F........?
dave h

Post by dave h »

haha you may have stumble on a eureka moment there Elmer,

i guess in our endeavours to have as lighter adventure bikes as possible, with an outfit a bit of weight in the chair is a positive thing,

electric outfits its the future,

dave.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I have thought that once all the other projects in my garage are sorted I would look at electrifying my outfit. As unsprung weight is not a major concern on a road going outfit I could use a hub motor, or two, or even three. The space vacated by the engine, gearbox etc could be used for batteries with some extra capacity in the chair if need be.
At the moment electric bikes seem viable for local commutes, particularly in cities, for local trail rides, or on coffee shop racers. To be honest at bit like the majority of modern petrol bikes. Trying to find a modern bike with a decent tank range that isn’t the size of an elephant is a difficult undertaking.
As someone who has invested in making my home as environmentally friendly as possible, solar PV, solar thermal and air source hear pump, I would like to have an electric bike, however I think it will be a long while before the price of petrol forces them to be economically viable. Even then I think in real environmental terms I am probably better continuing to run my Himalayan or Norton.
As with most things these days the costs will drop when the Chinese and Indians start knocking them out in volume. In this country we also need real environmental policies at the heart of planning. Why do we allow new buildings to be built without solar roofs as solar thermal for hot water?
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Personally i don’t think the electric revolution is the way to go.
In parts of uk it now cost almost as much to recharge a car as putting fuel in.
As for saving the planet we are moving the issue elswhere. Look at the super mines now being dug to extract the precious metals needed to make you look green using child labour with nothing more than sticks to extract cobalt needed in batteries.
Named Precious because there isnt much left and they have to dig deeper and wider scarring the landscape , in the congo they are ripping out forests on a massive scale as they are in south america and far east but thats ok cos its green energy:))
If everyone went electric think of the Q s to re charge.
A friend of mine has a EQC merc. 75 grand car. Does 180miles then its flat and weighs 2.5 tonnes! Ridiculous.
Self charging hybrid is the way forward.
As for bikes now that could werk for a commute as easy and small battery to re charge, however anything apart from commute, would that be fun or sound nice, im don’t think so!
robson

Post by robson »

No future, electric vehicles go dead end route. Same scam as global warming, CO2 pollution, photovoltaics etc
The only reason they are still on the market cause of governments dotation.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

robson wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:01 am No future, electric vehicles go dead end route. Same scam as global warming, CO2 pollution, photovoltaics etc
The only reason they are still on the market cause of governments dotation.
NURSE !
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Electric schmectric. As mentioned electric vehicles are not the way forward. They died out at the beginning of the vehicle revolution.
Why?
Consider the amount of energy used by road vehicles today in ICE, you will need to produce a similar amount of energy as electricity to replace ICE.
The current infrastructure can barely cope with todays demands. Now imaging the population getting home from work and plugging in their cars.
As an addition to ICE, yes. As a replacement, no.

Return to “BIKES”