Electric Bikes... the Future?

The Things We Ride
bowber

Re: Electric Bikes... the Future?

Post by bowber »

I've been looking at electric bikes for a few years now but the cost is still putting me off. I usualy buy second hand so the tco thing doesn't add up for me yet, also you need to check insurance costs as they seem to vary wildly.
When they come out with a good trail bike with a genuine 100+ mile range, with maybe a charge while having lunch, and a sensible price then I'll be taking a serious look. I think it's only a couple of years away.

Steve
Morseman

Post by Morseman »

I'd be interested. Either as a second bike for days out, when I knew I'd either be in range to get back OK, or else to places that I knew that there was a place to recharge, maybe whilst having a meal, a break, or at one of the places that people take a ride out to, or to replace my MT-09 Tracer, eventually.

I'd certainly like to have a test ride sometime.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Having another look around the English Electric Motor Co's website (http://englishelectricmotorco.com) I came across the Super Soco.

This bike was at the open day but it was the standard version in white and I didn't pay much attention to it. It was about the size of Honda's Grom (maybe a little bigger) and the guys seemed to be pushing test rides on the larger bikes. The Super Soco, however, looks to be the perfect commuter/short distance/around town bike when you look at the cost and specs.

Only £2,349 (or £50 a month) on the road! A top speed of 45 mph with a range of 80 to 90 miles. My daily commute is 3 miles each way through a town so I could happily charge it up once a fortnight without worrying.

Here's a video:

A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

It won’t let me quote Steve (bowber) but, while I agree with the principle, what happens when two groups of 6 turn up for chips and a charge?
I appreciate this would be a few years away but I can’t begin to think there can be sufficient infrastructure to set this up, or the money and inclination to do it.
They should have done this instead of cable tv everywhere.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
bowber

Post by bowber »

DavidS wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm It won’t let me quote Steve (bowber) but, while I agree with the principle, what happens when two groups of 6 turn up for chips and a charge?
I appreciate this would be a few years away but I can’t begin to think there can be sufficient infrastructure to set this up, or the money and inclination to do it.
They should have done this instead of cable tv everywhere.
Very true, there is already problems of sufficient supply happening, I read that London post office can't change to electric vehicles because the electricity supply couldn't cope. Just imagine a typical street when everyone comes home and plugs in their lecy cars, a big change in peak power usage is on the horizon.

Steve
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

And everyone tripping over the cables across the pavement.
What about the poor people in flats. 150m or more cable hanging out of the window running into the next street. :lol:

What’s wrong with fuel cells? Garages just get converted to store hydrogen.
Ok, it’s not that simple but it must be more viable but I guess it’s not in the oil company’s interest so it won’t happen.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Those interested in electric bikes may be interested in this http://charging-bullet.co.uk/ there was an article in the VMCC journal about Fred which makes interesting reading. Fred is using a using a British built Lynch motor which is also used by Volta to power their bikes https://www.voltamotorbikes.com/en/prod ... cn-forest/ . These look really interesting particularly the Forest, although I would question the 17 inch front wheel for off road use. If I was going to commute on it I would want a better front mudguard and the belt drive they use on other models. I do not think you can buy these over here at the moment which is a shame as they are a lot cheaper than the Zero.
It will be interesting to see the results and costs of Fred's build. If I ever get my CCM back I would consider doing something similar. I have always thought that the complications of electric motors would put me off but someone I know put an electric milk float motor in a Trabant and reckoned that the electrics were a lot less complex than a modern fuel injected bike. Certainly I would be surprised if any electric vehicle would be less reliable than my CCM.
There was a recent article on the net saying that BMW were not looking at producing electric motor bikes although they do a scooter but we're looking into hybrid bikes.
Cheers Jak
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

Thank god I will be too old when the time comes and am forced to ride one of these things I will be 78 in 2040,give me the SOUND of an akrapovic wailing at 10,ooo revs anyday,i will never get tired of that,it's what keeps me young.
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

gazxt1200z wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:45 pm Thank god I will be too old when the time comes and am forced to ride one of these things I will be 78 in 2040,give me the SOUND of an akrapovic wailing at 10,ooo revs anyday,i will never get tired of that,it's what keeps me young.

I am with you100% Buddy, not interested in a bike that cost 4 x more than I am used to spending and takes 8hrs to ride 100 miles before I can find somehwere to plug it in FFS !!!!!!!!!!

I like burning fuel, I love the sound the smell of my big singles and frankly don't give ratsass about Greenhouse gasses.

Farting Cows are the reason behind global warming, not the tiny perecentage of motorbikes on the planet, just sayin !

Fucking Treehuggers and Yoghurt Knitters you get on my Tits 😖😖😖😖😖
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

I test rode a Zero back in 2013.
They do seem to have come on a bit since then 👍
😀

My take on it then.

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... ro#p193936
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)

Return to “BIKES”