The next step....

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: The next step....

Post by garyboy »

as I posted somewhere before .. I do miss the engine braking, long seat, indicators etc of a motorbike .. they could at least make some heated grips for cold days .. I just wish that ……. o ….. 'ang on ……

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technol ... spartanntp
doberso

Post by doberso »

Cheers, I also think so.....electric is the future

It opens up a whole new offroad world and one that money is being thrown at, by the authorities
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I've just cleared out a couple of unused motorbikes and have cash stashed so am now looking for an ebike even though I've never ridden one. I need to get out but don't have a pushbike.
I've spotted a used voltbike alpine for sale locally which has grabbed my attention as a first bike to see if it's for me. So what do I look for regarding buying a used bike and how available are spares should it need a battery or motor etc?
Thanks in advance.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
EWR

Post by EWR »

This is a good place to start...

https://ebiketips.road.cc/buying-advice

As with anything, you get what you pay for - one thing that surprises many motorcyclists is how expensive high-quality road and MTB bicycles are compared to motorcycles - even before you add the 'e' component.

A high-end e-MTB can easily cost new bike (e.g. CRF250L money) and 'value' etc. all become rather relative....
scooby

Post by scooby »

My wife bought a Specialized Levo FSR in June to enable her to keep riding as we get older and thinks its fantastic, ive now joined her with a Levo SL, as others have said it allows you to go where your enduro/trail/adventure bike cant, you also get a lot more of a workout than you may at first think.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks for the replies gents, it's a whole new area of technology for me to learn about so all advice and experience is welcome.
I moved on from enduro bikes about 8 years ago and now just sold my trials bike which has sat unused in the shed for a similar time. Reality is I hate mud these days but love getting out and about, so ebikes for us will be about gravel tracks/quiet roads locally and also when away camping/vanning etc. It may well be a passing phase but until you try .......... so with that in mind we will look for used bikes with gravel and tarmac capabilities.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Tonibe63 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am Thanks for the replies gents, it's a whole new area of technology for me to learn about so all advice and experience is welcome.
I moved on from enduro bikes about 8 years ago and now just sold my trials bike which has sat unused in the shed for a similar time. Reality is I hate mud these days but love getting out and about, so ebikes for us will be about gravel tracks/quiet roads locally and also when away camping/vanning etc. It may well be a passing phase but until you try .......... so with that in mind we will look for used bikes with gravel and tarmac capabilities.
What you said there just about sums me up. I went through several off road bikes trying to make them travel capable with expensive luggage systems and kept to tyres that could handle most off road situations. The truth is i hate mud and ruts now and although i still love travel and wild camping i went with a Royal Enfield Himalayan which is capable of off roading but the weight sort of puts me off so i have limited myself to mainly road based tyres that will handle some gravel tracks to get me to a wild camping location. Back to E bikes, i love riding my mountain bike off road because it is light and easy to control and i don,t get hurt or trapped under the bike if i have a tumble. I find at 59 years old i am starting to limit how far i ride so a powerful E bike with a decent range is something i am very interested in. I would still get the joy of riding off road,seeing the countryside and having a light bike that i dont have to lug about if the going gets tough. It also means you are not just limited to Byways and other roads with public acces(ORPA,s) I don,t think i would be happy with a legal 250W pedal asisted 15mph bike though and would want something with a bit more go but still look legal if i get challenged.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Well summed up, both of you
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Going over a gnarly, rocky or narrow tree lined bridleway or green lanes I've never wanted more speed from my eMTB than the 15mph limiter :lol: You can of course go a lot faster downhill of with more effort. Newer motors even disengage or have very low drag which makes riding beyond the limit a lot easier.

Also bare in mind you likely won't be wearing a lot of padding so if you do come off it could be nasty.

I wouldn't pay a lot for a Voltbike Alpine, it looks to have very dated tech and it's not one of the "quality" motors (think Sinnis compared to a Jap bike, if I'm not being too unkind ;) ). Batteries are eyewateringly expensive and don't last forever. They need to be looked after too, and anything heavily used/abused or over 5 years old may be getting past it. Also components get a bit more of a hammering so check bearings, chain, gears etc.

Unfortunately there's not much of a market for second hand eMTBs so you tend to get stuck with them. They're definitely in the bicycle end of the market as opposed to the motorcycle market and attitudes with dealers reflect that not in a good way. I knows all of this to my cost. I'm still a total convert though.

My mate bought a brand new CBR650 for around £6000 about the same time I bought my £4500 eMTB. No I don't get it either. I've heard the argument that an eMTB has top quality equipment and metallurgy - whereas what, a Honda is a bit shoddy? I don't think so.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks Dave, the weather has turned so not going to make the leap just yet as we're going to do some more hill walking for this year.
The voltbike alpine came up locally at £400 which wasn't a lot but still a waste if it's knackered and I can't resell it. In fact I was suspicious as to wether it had been stolen because it seemed too cheap but like you say it seems to be the budget end of the market. If nothing else it has got me looking.

Return to “BIKES”