The next step....

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: The next step....

Post by garyboy »

P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Thats exactly what I picked up today garyboy, except if you buy it from a Specialized store its £1800. I'm pleased, I haven't ridden a bicycle properly in about a decade, 8 mile journey back to work & I could still walk & talk :lol:

I'm going to potter with it for the rest of the week & if all goes well I will start it on the commute. 12 miles each way so should get me fit by Christmas. That assist really helps
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

looks excellent value for money, P4ulie .. I think you will be pleased with it
Take it easy to start, maybe not commute every day on it .. build up your cycle fitness slowly.

I think the hard tail is very good value, and full suspension is not always need on an easy run.
Tho I must admit the old bum bones are getting a bit calloused and sore recently and I may succumb to fitting my softy saddle wot I bought for my other mtb.

I have put a link on previously on this thread that gives a de-restriction method that costs nothing and does work, but would void u warranty if they find out?

I did 24 miles today at full pace (for me) .. 12 there, 12 back .. the same as u commute .. and had it on full (turbo) all the time. it lasted out (tho mine is the 500wh battery) with one bar of five left on the battery indicator.
Last edited by garyboy on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

today ..
Image20191118_133424 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

I always take 2 spare tubes in case of punctures, and a small hand pump, plastic tyre levers, allan keys, especially to fit the wheel axles, screwdriver etx and a few tools .. tho its mostly allan keys.
I use my old motorbike back pack for small tools and snacks, tho water is on the frame, with a bottle mount.

I bought a front light from halfords £20 .. good .. as well as flasher lights for front and back, to be seen .. good ..
I also got a small computer mounted on the h bars that gives mileage and mph £10 .. great value.

if you change the sensor position to get full power over 15mph it also changes the mph readings

enjoy !!

((ps ..if u got smart sam tyres there is an easy way to break the seal .. see previous on this thread))
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I'm hoping the muscle memory is still there. I rode only bicycles until 13 years ago, when I moved from London to Surrey, but when I had to come back in most weekdays I bought my first motorbike. I used to happily commute a round trip of 35 miles along towpaths to college & would always cycle into central London over getting the tube. I will pace myself though.

I'm quite enjoying not having to wear motorbike gear every day, unfortunately my wardrobe is pretty much motorbike gear :shock:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

its great fun, not having a number plate .. ;) :lol: 8-)

.. but I do miss not having engine braking, heated grips, and indicators and mirrors.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

put the comfy seat on ..

Image20191118_235516 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I’m a convert. I used to think Ebikes were cheating but I’ve seen the light.
I bought a second hand Haibike RX ALLMTN and it’s given me a new lease of life. I try to keep to the first 2 power levels and put effort in myself. It just means I go twice as far.

Bridleways near me are a quagmire at the moment though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

its slowly dawning on me that the government has spent thousands .. no .. millions .. on the national cycle network ..
new cycle bridges, ramps, art works, information plaques, tarmac trails, gravel, hooligal motorbike barriers :D , new routes, signage, fencing runs, kerbside bolards, benches, maintenance, online info, etc etc

but there are also plenty of local trail loops too.

I dont know if this is EU funded .. but there seems to be a big effort to open up the country to cycle health and fitness,
and also to transform the old industrial eyesores.

Image20191118_150814 by gary boy, on Flickr

Image20191118_145521 by gary boy, on Flickr

conversely .. the same people are working hard to downgrade trails and prevent motorcycle use …….. must admit I have been confronted by illegal hooligan biker gangs a few times now, on restricted cycling byways, not a pleasant experience when they rush at you at high speeds, loud noise, near collisions and no respect. Though a few have been polite and nodded .. like I always used to.

However there is still the aggression and nasty looks from walkers … and it is them that are walking on a designated Cycle Path
and some think it is `funny` to let their dogs loose and chase cyclists
I was chased by six yesterday .. small nasty yappy terriers, huge fast running german shepherd, ankle biting grayhound, bike pissing Scotties ….. …. … I am thinking of wearing my high leather biking boots :? .. as these dogs find an exposed human ankle running away from then,, irresistible!!
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

If your going for a hardtail and don't have a dropper post, one of these spring loaded seat posts is well worth the investment

It's a bit odd for the first couple of minutes then you don't notice it but it sure smooths out the ride. It's even got different damping levels!

Don't get punctures go tubeless. Piece of cake to do for experienced off road types :D costs about £30 (most wheels are "tubeless ready") then no more flats 8-) Usually costs about £50 to get the shop to do it. Just remember to keep your tyres well inflated because it won't stop the tyres pinching on the rim and going flat (I know from experience :? )

Return to “BIKES”