Second Africa twin

The Things We Ride
Grahamkevinbutler

Second Africa twin

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

I've loved my twin only managing to put 2600 miles on her in a year since I've owned it, with work commitments and having three other bikes.
I managed to damage two fingers on a trail riding trip to morocco, I've had one op and waiting on another op.
I've Still managed to go out riding even done the nc500 on the twin, I've done some off road as well, I struggled with the clutch on the twins when I did the nc, I was ok for the days riding on the trails.
I call into Honda and done a deal on a dct twin, I just went with the same rally colours and they will swap all my accessories over, pick up tomorrow.
Let's hope I get on with the dct,
IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG (23.45 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
IMG_1338.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG (23.71 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
dibbs

Re: Second Africa twin

Post by dibbs »

I think you'll like the DCT. I test rode one and was quite impressed, and apparently its very good off road. Fortunately I have the use of all my fingers so I went for the manual AT and love it (I'm old school really and like a clutch) but would consider getting a dct come change over time! good luck with it and I hope you like it (thumbs)
Trev

Post by Trev »

Had my DCT AT for about a month/800 miles now and loving it, mind you I did run a DCT NC700X previously so was used to the clutch/es. The AT version has more modes so better able to 'tune' the DCT action to your requirements.
Apart from adding a bit of weight (not good on our already porky modern bikes) and complexity (fine if it doesn't go wrong, 20k+ miles on the NC was perfect) it's hard to see how the DCT version isn't preferable to a manual in most circumstances. Mind you that sort of comment on the NC forum was the cue for 'I couldn't live without ....... etc' furore not heard since those pesky Japs challenged every red blooded bikers masculinity by introducing electric starts to main stream bikes :whistle:
Will be interesting to hear your thoughts after a few weeks, good luck and hope those pinkies get aren't as painful as they look :pinch:
Grahamkevinbutler

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

It's been 20 years since I rode a scooter to collage that was a twist and go.
The ring finger is bent and can't be straightened as the tending has snapped, the small finger is permantly straight as the bone was removed but the surgeon did leave it slightly curved as he said it will help with your grip, that was nice of him,
I did like the manual AT, I didn't have any issues others had with there AT, I covered the bike in acf50 form day one and never jet washed it.
I was going to treat myself this year and buy a aprilia millie as a guy I know has a really nice one coming up for sale, I think I may have to test ride it first to see if the position affects my hand I'll be gutted if I can't ride it as I've alway fancied one
adventuredon

Post by adventuredon »

funny that...I test rode a DCT and wanted it so bad as the deal was the stupid 0% finance etc. Honda also had to get me off my GS which I loved..So I took out a DCT. Hated it! took out a manual and loved it. Took the DCT out again just to be sure. Nope ordered the manual one.....over the w/e I thought about it and couldn't see a reason for not being able to get used to the DCT...so I changed my order to the DCT. I have to say I have gotten so used to the riding modes. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE DCT. It is such a step forward from the GS and a clutch. You will so get it. It just works. I am so amazed at the tech in the DCT..anyhow..I also had my finger operation last week (got the pinkie caught in a dog lead and could'nt it so the cut something or other and now its getting better..ish
adventuredon

Post by adventuredon »

funny that...I test rode a DCT and wanted it so bad as the deal was the stupid 0% finance etc. Honda also had to get me off my GS which I loved..So I took out a DCT. Hated it! took out a manual and loved it. Took the DCT out again just to be sure. Nope ordered the manual one.....over the w/e I thought about it and couldn't see a reason for not being able to get used to the DCT...so I changed my order to the DCT. I have to say I have gotten so used to the riding modes. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE DCT. It is such a step forward from the GS and a clutch. You will so get it. It just works. I am so amazed at the tech in the DCT..anyhow..I also had my finger operation last week (got the pinkie caught in a dog lead and could'nt it so the cut something or other and now its getting better..ish

Return to “BIKES”