The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
Tonibe63

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by Tonibe63 »

I believe the same calipers are fitted to many Indian built bikes like BMW310gs and the Ktm 390 which are suffering with piston corrosion too.
Mines an early 2017 bike with 5k+ miles on it and so far is ok but I don't normally ride in conditions where salt has been used on the roads.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

I see that the female 'Globe Trotter' Itchy Boots has very recently swapped from using/riding a Himalayan to a five year old Honda CB500X machine.

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

macvisual wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:15 am I see that the female 'Globe Trotter' Itchy Boots has very recently swapped from using/riding a Himalayan to a five year old Honda CB500X machine.

mac
She's off around Europe in an effort to boost her YouTube figures and needed to buy a bike to use as her Himalayan is still in South America.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Tonibe63 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:50 am
macvisual wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:15 am I see that the female 'Globe Trotter' Itchy Boots has very recently swapped from using/riding a Himalayan to a five year old Honda CB500X machine.
mac
She's off around Europe in an effort to boost her YouTube figures and needed to buy a bike to use as her Himalayan is still in South America.
... and the one she used in Holland on her return was a loan so no good for travelling in different countries in Europe.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Himalayan musings.
The insurance renewal invitation signals the 1st anniversary of Himalayan ownership which for me is often the time to consider a change of bike.

Last Friday I did a few errands on the Himmy and as I parked it back in the garage I brushed passed another bike which had just had the MoT extended by 6 months under the Government covid scheme. It was insured but untaxed so whilst I still had the bike gear on it would give me a legal reason to ride the bike (with it's additional 90bhp) to the MoT station .................. what a contrast in my riding :shock: . Gone was the care free/take in the scenery/don't back off the throttle for the bends Himalayan riding style and hello to wow those tree's are moving fast/hit the brakes for the bends/shall I break the speed limit in 1st gear, double it in 3rd or treble it in 6th. Yes the blokes at the MoT station were cupping their gonads whilst dribbling at the bike but I can't say I really enjoyed the ride and I returned with a doubt that any mere mortal could actually use this bikes full potential on the roads which is probably why it has done 22 miles in the last 12 months :? .

Yesterday I changed the bent handlebars (oops) on my Wife's MT07 and took it for a 5 mile test ride which I'd also done earlier in the day on the Himalayan. Instantly I loved the engine and was soon making use of it's extra 40/50bhp to breeze passed cars on empty rural roads before then slowing to legal speeds as I spotted a horse at the entry to the next bend ahead, the brakes are superb. Shortly after passing the horse it was quickly up to the speed limit (+ 10%) in the sweet spot of 3rd gear as I concentrated on the vanishing point and kept alert for farm vehicles etc.
As I wheeled the MT07 back into the garage I brushed passed 'the beast' and then the Himalayan in a state of confusion ....... decisions decisions .........
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Tonibe63 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:46 am Himalayan musings.
The insurance renewal invitation signals the 1st anniversary of Himalayan ownership which for me is often the time to consider a change of bike.

Last Friday I did a few errands on the Himmy and as I parked it back in the garage I brushed passed another bike which had just had the MoT extended by 6 months under the Government covid scheme. It was insured but untaxed so whilst I still had the bike gear on it would give me a legal reason to ride the bike (with it's additional 90bhp) to the MoT station .................. what a contrast in my riding :shock: . Gone was the care free/take in the scenery/don't back off the throttle for the bends Himalayan riding style and hello to wow those tree's are moving fast/hit the brakes for the bends/shall I break the speed limit in 1st gear, double it in 3rd or treble it in 6th. Yes the blokes at the MoT station were cupping their gonads whilst dribbling at the bike but I can't say I really enjoyed the ride and I returned with a doubt that any mere mortal could actually use this bikes full potential on the roads which is probably why it has done 22 miles in the last 12 months :? .

Yesterday I changed the bent handlebars (oops) on my Wife's MT07 and took it for a 5 mile test ride which I'd also done earlier in the day on the Himalayan. Instantly I loved the engine and was soon making use of it's extra 40/50bhp to breeze passed cars on empty rural roads before then slowing to legal speeds as I spotted a horse at the entry to the next bend ahead, the brakes are superb. Shortly after passing the horse it was quickly up to the speed limit (+ 10%) in the sweet spot of 3rd gear as I concentrated on the vanishing point and kept alert for farm vehicles etc.
As I wheeled the MT07 back into the garage I brushed passed 'the beast' and then the Himalayan in a state of confusion ....... decisions decisions .........
Sounds like a tricky one Tonibe always thought the 50-60bhp range is just such a sweet figure with the right firing order. I keep bouncing between the new 390adv an the himmy as my next bike.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Tonibe63 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:46 am Himalayan musings.

I have just taken my Himalayan to TTT motorcycles at Sudbury for a 3000 mile service and the brake recall. I really enjoy riding it and at 59 years old it suits me as i never thought i would say this but 70 mph is enough for me these days. It is such an easy bike to ride and very relaxing. Yes i would like 30 bhp,20kg less weight and a front brake with a bit more bite but these are not complaints but observations. I sold my BMW F800 gs and bought a Suzuki DRZ400s,this was replaced by an SWM RS650R. All great bikes but i don,t ride off road much these days. I didn,t even bother putting aggressive block tyres on my Himalayan for this reason and my next tyre choice will be Mitas E-07,s that will be as capable as i am off road but more suited to the tarmac. I love my Himalayan as much as my Harley Davidson MT350 which i should never have sold as i could now no longer be able to afford to buy one at the ridiculous prices that are being asked. I think my Himalayan is a long term bike and the technician in TTT was working on a Himalayan which he had skimmed the head for more compression,valve work and head porting,aftermarket exhaust and a Powertronic unit which they had to develop their own maps as the ones supplied were not any good which has put a lot of people off buying the powertronic. He didn,t give me an exact figure but the standard bike was 21 bhp at the back wheel and there was a significant increase. I know that people do not buy these bikes if they want power but for real fans of the Himalayan this could be an option to be explored.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Tonibe63 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 am I believe the same calipers are fitted to many Indian built bikes like BMW310gs and the Ktm 390 which are suffering with piston corrosion too.
Mines an early 2017 bike with 5k+ miles on it and so far is ok but I don't normally ride in conditions where salt has been used on the roads.
I have just had my Himalayan brakes checked as part of the recall. The technician said that out of all the bikes he has checked none have had a problem and he said that the majority of owners garage their bikes,do not ride all winter on salted roads and if they do tend to look after their bikes,wash them down and check their brakes regularly. He said this may happen to bikes that people just jump on,ride all year and assume everything is going to be ok because it is a new bike. He had plenty of pistons and seals in stock but has not used any so far. I asked about the expected caliper change as the second part of the recall but he was not aware of this happening any time soon,if at all.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Made the decision that there is nothing else I want that would fulfil the job I have for it so I reinsured the Himmy. I've also replaced the steering head bearings+bottom seal and added foam to the seat so it's going to get some use.
Decision made so I cut holes in my van and fitted windows, built a rock&roll type bed and put some insulation behind the plywood wall linings to be used for day trips and overnight stops. The whole bed thing is removable in half an hour and then I can get 2 bikes in the back along with an airbeam tent and gas barbeque.
I can't see us getting abroad on a long trip this year so short 3 or 4 day stuff is on the cards along with weekend bike camping and maybe even fit in some solo wild camping if grandparent duties allow.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Great to read all of your posts, especially as I had considered buying a Himalayan. The weight aspect, and to me heavy clutch, put me off the idea though.

Toni, I hope you will not mind my making a safety point that barbecues and similar should not be used in an enclosed space such as a tent or van because of the deadly carbon monoxide produced.

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “BIKES”