The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
devon john

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by devon john »

Tev did the work myself very simple engine ,,,,, Henry Price supplied the exchange crank (with a steel rod roller bearings and balanced , i used Henrys special cams as well ,

john
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

No one else confessing to buying one ? ;) Had mine a week and so far so good , engine is nice and smooth . Not a bike to play "spec sheet Top Trumps" with but seems to do what I wanted . Looked at the CRF Rally as an option and it's probably (definitely ?!) a better bike but it was the Himalayan I wanted :D
Attachments
himafrrhs.jpg
himafrrhs.jpg (234.54 KiB) Viewed 4559 times
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I'd have the Himalayan over the Honda. Purely because it's more interesting.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Wouldn't mind trying one but deffo won't be adding any more bikes until I punt one or two out.

How does it compare to what you've had before?
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

https://www.facebook.com/Nathan-Millwar ... 829160127/

Nathan has one and seems very pleased with it : )
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

Trev wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm Wouldn't mind trying one but deffo won't be adding any more bikes until I punt one or two out.

Hard to compare with what I've had before, I've had a lot of bikes ,50+ , but I took a demo ride before buying - which I've never managed on any other new bike and so was able to remove my concern about the low BHP. Compared with most singles it's a very smooth/tractable motor with none of the usual chain clatter you get at low revs . Suspension is adequate , no adjustment except rear pre load , damps fine and feels well matched . If you want a bike for sustained motorway use , "hard" trails Welsh bogs/rock steps etc , third gear wheelies (or any wheelies!) it's patently not the right bike . But for what I think I want atm , a bike to do local rides , trails , maybe a European trip and light touring I think it seems right .

No glossy plastics , comes with rear rack , centre stand and a bit flimsy but not plastic sumpguard and is a bit different , sold ! :)
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

Brenhden wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm https://www.facebook.com/Nathan-Millwar ... 829160127/

Nathan has one and seems very pleased with it : )
Yep , I much agree with everything he said on here
Trev

Post by Trev »

Bojer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:55 pm
Trev wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm Wouldn't mind trying one but deffo won't be adding any more bikes until I punt one or two out.

Hard to compare with what I've had before, I've had a lot of bikes ,50+ , but I took a demo ride before buying - which I've never managed on any other new bike and so was able to remove my concern about the low BHP. Compared with most singles it's a very smooth/tractable motor with none of the usual chain clatter you get at low revs . Suspension is adequate , no adjustment except rear pre load , damps fine and feels well matched . If you want a bike for sustained motorway use , "hard" trails Welsh bogs/rock steps etc , third gear wheelies (or any wheelies!) it's patently not the right bike . But for what I think I want atm , a bike to do local rides , trails , maybe a European trip and light touring I think it seems right .

No glossy plastics , comes with rear rack , centre stand and a bit flimsy but not plastic sumpguard and is a bit different , sold ! :)
Sorry silly question really but thanks for giving it a go ; ) Sounds like you're well pleased. I have a 2008 RE efi and really love getting out around the back lanes especially in the Winter, the Himalayan would allow me to tackle some gentle trails as well but it won't have the same character as the efi (probably a good thing in most cases) so not sure I want to swap that one out, more like a replacement for my Africa Twin :D
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

Yep , I've had a 350 and 500T Royal Enfields before so didn't have too high expectations ! 8-)

Not quite the same "thump" as the 500 but not far off and at least as "fast" , exactly as you say for winter back lanes , and a few trails it's like the perfect bike . I was a bit concerned at the 24 BHP , not that I needed more but the demo ride made me appreciate its torquey feel means the power not so relevant . Highly recommend a test ride - if only to rule it out , the bike I took out only had 60 miles on it so took it easy but I liked the feel of it.

I've only done 200 odd miles in the week so early days as I said but pleased with it , downsides are a "weak" front brake , it works but doesn't suggest ABS is necessary ! , have ordered some EBC HH pads to see it they'll improve things and a slightly random fuel gauge that sometimes dives for empty before recovering a few minutes later - dodgy sender/wiring , due to be looked at when it gets its first service . .
himaflhs.jpg
himaflhs.jpg (236.35 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
Morph

Post by Morph »

ds99 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:57 am maybe read this before buying one!

https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield- ... 37993.html
Shocking!
A8A8497C-0A80-432E-92BC-DD0AA5D67049.png
A8A8497C-0A80-432E-92BC-DD0AA5D67049.png (512.02 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...

Return to “BIKES”