The perfect compromise ADV bike

The Things We Ride
Mad Cow

Re: The perfect compromise ADV bike

Post by Mad Cow »

I have a standard Honda CB500X and I have ridden the Rally Raid Products demonstrator.

It would tick most of the boxes, happily cruises at motorway speeds, I know as that's what I do almost everyday on mine.

70-80mpg is achievable with a range of 250 miles, 110mph is achievable should you want to take it down the autobahn :whistle:

I rode the RRP bike on trails I knew well and it was a revelation, handles the dirt with no worries, I had wondered if the 19" front wheel would handicap it but not on general trails. OK technical rocky routes might stretch it and the ergonomics are a little compromised off tarmac (bars a bit low and footpegs a bit too far back) but I was very impressed.

I was able to ride at similar speeds to my EXC and certainly quicker and easier to ride than my 990 Adventure!

The weight might be the only issue as it's not that much lighter than my 990 but It carries it really well, it never feels like a 200kg bike.

Yes the RRP kit is another couple of grand on top of the price of the bike but you can get a new 500X plus the RRP kit for about the same price as a KTM 690 or a CCM GP450

Certainly worth a look

So why haven't I converted mine? Because I use it as an everyday commuter and have my 450 and 990 for playing in the dirt, although the "X" does get to see a gentle byway every now and then :)
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
petecam

Post by petecam »

Save up for this when its out (thumbs)

http://www.cycleworld.com/spied-2018-kt ... nture-bike
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

petecam wrote:Save up for this when its out (thumbs)

http://www.cycleworld.com/spied-2018-kt ... nture-bike
Give it a large fuel capacity and a high front mudguard, and that would probably be the perfect bike for me.
But so would the Yamaha T7...
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

ipswichbiker wrote:Doesn't exist. Cycle to Spain/Portugal on a push bike then come back to motorbikes and they will all seem good.
dont need those sick perverted comments on here thank you very much, anything that burns that many calories should be banned

steve :laugh: :laugh:
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

I too have had the very same debate in my own mind about what to get for similar, but a trip to morocco instead.

I decided that I'm not very off road capable, but can easily ride dirt tracks. But I did want a bike capable of off-road and I can grow into it when my ability grows.

I've also come over from a ZZR1400 so didn't want 600cc single power, so a litre bike was in order.

Settled on a very well sorted KTM 950 adventure. Best of both worlds, very comfy over distance and capable off road. Couldn't ask for more.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

ollydog wrote:
ipswichbiker wrote:Doesn't exist. Cycle to Spain/Portugal on a push bike then come back to motorbikes and they will all seem good.
dont need those sick perverted comments on here thank you very much, anything that burns that many calories should be banned

steve :laugh: :laugh:
Anything that involves blokes wearing lycra should be banned.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

Ralph, if you're not in a rush the new Yam T7 sounds like it would fit the bill. The MT 07 engine is a stonker and if they can keep the price down to the other MT's it should be pretty cheap too.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
bowber

Post by bowber »

It's not available on a normal budget, spend a fortune and you can make a bike that'll do it though.
The KTM950/990 is a good bike and very capable off road, and I mean off road not just dirt tracks, but it's still a heavy bike. I have taken mine on every trail in the lake district and a lot in the Yorkshire dales and never had a problem but I'm a reasonably good rider off road, I've raced bikes off road all my adult life and make up for lack of fitness with experience, if I had to drag a 950 through a bog or push it up a hill climb then I'd be stuffed.
Steve's got it right with the tyres, it doesn't matter how good your bike is at either road or off road your tyres limit one or the other.
So my conclusion was get a bike for the road and restore my old trail bike, my 1050 with 19/17 wheels and road tyres is far better on the road then the 950 could ever be but it will not be going on anything more than a well graded dirt track, my DR350 potters along on the road and will still get to the same destinations as the 1050 but it'll take longer and I'll be stopping for rests more often but once off road it works better (again with the right tyres) and is far lighter than a bigger twin for when I get it wrong and have to pick it up.
So my final conclusion is 2 bikes in a van :P

Steve
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

This was a pretty good compromise, KLX450R and a 170bhp T5.
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG (68.21 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

SteveW wrote:Ralph, get a GS800. Put some Karoo3's on it and a touring seat.
Then book a two day one-on-one with Molly at the Adventure Bike Academy at Sweetlamb.
You've got a bike that'll cruise all day at 100 mph and you've got the confidence and skill sets to make it work off Tarmac.
You may have ability and experience on lighter bikes off Tarmac, taking something bigger off road is a bit of a leap of faith, but it's possible and rewarding, but you need some expert training to make the crossover from 250cc to 800cc (thumbs)
Having looked into this a bit further I'm very tempted by SteveW's suggestion above.

A new model came out in 2013 and trading in my 2013 Tiger Sport I could probably make the swap for between 1 and 2 grand cost to change.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 3083058156

But can I bring myself to buy a BMW :laugh: I think the reliability problems are mainly the 1200's?

I'd need a test ride anyway. Some reviews say it's a bit floaty on the front end with the central fuel tank, and with pillion and luggsge that gets worse. 21 inch fronts are never that stable at speed anyway.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “BIKES”