Bmw f800gs

The Things We Ride
scooby

Bmw f800gs

Post by scooby »

I'm thinking of selling my 955 Tiger and xr400 and getting a 800gs, it would be used for commuting, two up with luggage touring and easy green lanes.what experiences have gs owners to share with me ?
Dave DRZ

Re: Bmw f800gs

Post by Dave DRZ »

Can't comment on two up touring (depends on your sizes I guess) but I use mine for one up touring with luggage , commuting and some light green laning (be honest, it's not an enduro bike) and it's a Big thumbs up from me. Probably not the best at anything, but a cracking all rounder.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
KTM Deano

Post by KTM Deano »

Sold my KTM 990 Adventure to get an F800GS. One of my better decisions. Great bike
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

I've used my 800 for commuting - plenty quick enough, nice high positioning for a good view, 60mpg, lightish. I've been touring with luggage but only on my own - Assen to West Dorset over 500 miles in one go was fine, again 60mpg (doesn't seem to change for me - commuting or touring it's about the same). Going touring next summer with the girlfriend and I don't foresee any problems loading it up with the pair of us - but we're both under 75kg each so I can't say what it would be like two up with larger bods on board ! Easy green lanes are ok with the right tyres.

First thing I did to mine was put a Touratech seat on - after an afternoon out on the first day with the original seat was enough! Although I know a lot of people who find the original seat ok.

Recently changed the front springs for Hyperpro progressive springs - a relatively cheap mod that makes a huge difference ! Wish I'd done it when I first bought the bike.

I've had it almost 5 years and every now and then think about changing it but not found anything that would be better for what I want (thumbs)
scooby

Post by scooby »

Thanks for the replys I need to get a test ride on one to see what I think and also test the px price for my Tiger
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I haven't ridden either bike but I own a 955 and I've hired an F800R.If I was you I would be wanting a test ride two up before making a decision.I think you might miss the extra torque and horsepower of the larger engine then.I also found the twin engine a bit buzzy at higher revs compared to the triple.
jakeyt

Post by jakeyt »

I had an F800GS and found it quite "Vibey" compared to the Tiger 800 I have now. I would pick the tiger for comfort but the Beemer for fuel consumption.
robson

Post by robson »

sprintster wrote:I haven't ridden either bike but I own a 955 and I've hired an F800R.If I was you I would be wanting a test ride two up before making a decision.I think you might miss the extra torque and horsepower of the larger engine then.I also found the twin engine a bit buzzy at higher revs compared to the triple.
I agree, tiger has more power, better torque more suited wheels for street and commuting. Get a test ride better first...
Q plate

Post by Q plate »

Hi Phil, I can't imagine the F8gs will come that close to your tiger for 2 up touring in terms of Comfort/ performance however People on here have done some major trips 2 up without issue so are better placed to comment. I envisage your commute will be much more of a hoot on the lighter bike they're good fun (thumbs) as for off road they're very capable but in general it's going to be a handful in comparison to your xr. That said i find 'easy' off road prob as quick as on my 450 if I want it to be, just a lot more plush B) naturally your more limited if things get tight & gnarly. Took mine to Portugal and used it off road this year was brilliant but I can't imagine at the moment not having a smaller enduro bike as well. You'd be more than welcome to try my F8gs normally but it's currently sorned :S

Regards AL
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Some great replies and i am pleased with my F800gs (thumbs) You can raise the gearing for more road biased work by fitting the 17 tooth sprocket from the BMW F650gs(twin) without even altering the chain length. It drops your rpm at motorway speeds by about 500 rpm and drops it out of that vibey zone.

Return to “BIKES”