WK400 owners thread.

The Things We Ride
Tyrant68

Re: WK400 owners thread.

Post by Tyrant68 »

Thanks Glenn.
I won't be cutting wires . I am the Frank Spencer of bike mechanics :D
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

So to compare notes........have any of you guys had an engine cutting out issue, ref the fuel cap gasket i removed. Any view on spark plug removal and or replace for an iridium type. I found the throttle a bit tight and ended up removing the screw/pin in the throttle behind the grip, shown in picture......any views on what its for, seems to work fine without and my throttle is much lighter.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

If you want cheap spark plugs look up chainsaw suppliers ive had very cheap ngk iridiums off them...try some superunleaded.....shell is best....

Dowt the plug would.make much difference ....though check the cable into the plug cap...and coil leads are good and tight and clean connections.....wont do anyharm eh?
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
mac10biker

Post by mac10biker »

netsonic wrote:So to compare notes........have any of you guys had an engine cutting out issue, ref the fuel cap gasket i removed. Any view on spark plug removal and or replace for an iridium type. I found the throttle a bit tight and ended up removing the screw/pin in the throttle behind the grip, shown in picture......any views on what its for, seems to work fine without and my throttle is much lighter.
I have had mine stall a couple of times. Actually at the weekend I was just at a roundabout with the clutch in, just about to pull out into a tight gap when it cut out. Hit the starter button sharpish and luckily hadn't coasted too far out. I have now done about 700 miles on mine and it's not really a huge issue. If it started doing it on a regular basis then I would look at it, but at the moment for such a cheap bike I am willing to live with it.

As for iridium spark plugs. I always fit them onto the track bikes as I think they really improve starting from cold, and feel that the bikes run better, so will probably stick one into the WK at some point.

I am sure you will find out what that screw does at some point :woohoo: If nothing else you have made it lighter :lol:
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

I plan to get an iridium plug soon heard good things about them so worth a go, looks a bit of a pig to remove the spark plug though........you may want to try removing the fuel cap gasket i mentioned earlier in this thread which should stop the cutting out, seemed to work on mine althouth not out riding much to test it as i dont do winter (thumbs)
netsonic

Post by netsonic »

Went out today for a solo ride and did around 50 miles, bit damp but roads dried while i was out, well most of them, country lanes remained damp. Amazing weather and temperature for December and the ride also gave me a good opportunity to test some of the mods i did over the last 2 weeks and mentioned in this tread. The two mods in question are the fuel cap gasket and throttle screw that i took pictures of earlier.

Well i have to say it’s like a different bike, :woohoo: ....... no sign of any cutting out and overall engine felt more responsive and ran a whole lot smoother. I can only assume that the gasket was causing the tank to be too air tight and after a while created a small vacuum that made the bike feel it was running lean and a bit hesitant at 50-60 mph, and then on occasions when pulling up to stop with clutch-in would cut out, it always started immediately but today none of that so even a bigger smile and a great day out. I don’t know if every WK400 would have this issue but if you find it cutting out for no reason worth a try.......

In addition that mysterious screw in the side of the throttle housing that on mine made the twisting of said throttle really tight, well since removing it’s so much lighter as a throttle should be, no side affect to it not being there today so to date assumed ok to remove, again may not affect all WK400 and only reporting on what I’ve found.

I only got the bike in October done around 400 miles and despite a few tweaks it’s a great bike and really comfortable. (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs) :)
mac10biker

Post by mac10biker »

Netsonic. Great report and I might have to try the gasket and throttle mod as well (thumbs)

Totally agree that it's a very comfortable bike to sit on all day (way more than a KTM990 Adventure).

What sort of MPG are you getting? Read reports that it should be about 70mpg but no matter what sort of riding I do, I keep averaging 60mpg.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi does anyone know of one of these for sale please? My son is lookly for one, there are a couple of dealers advertising them on the bay but they don't actually have them in stock. It seems the dealers all discounted them and then sold out.

Cheers Jak
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Jak* wrote:Hi does anyone know of one of these for sale please? My son is lookly for one, there are a couple of dealers advertising them on the bay but they don't actually have them in stock. It seems the dealers all discounted them and then sold out.

Cheers Jak
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Ray-Dentith ... =page_info

He has a new white one in stock (saw it in the window less than 4 hrs ago) ...no idea of the asking orice but he has had it a while ( although he is notoriously hard to get a deal out of ...
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi thanks for that I'll let him know.
Cheers Jak

Return to “BIKES”