Ideas and comments on a 650 to 1000 cc touring bike.

The Things We Ride
jonny955

Re: Ideas and comments on a 650 to 100 cc touring bike.

Post by jonny955 »

GreenT wrote:Aquired taste but Guzzi Breva works very well as a reliable / solid tourer at the budget you mention. My mate needs lowering links for a v strom but not the guzzi. 1100 is better. 750 is a bit underpowered for its weight.
+1 on the Breva, although I disagree on the preference for the 1100, given the OP's requirement for low down weight and less of it!

The Breva 750 will cruise at 85mph very smoothly, weighs around 180kg, is easy to maintain and should achieve 60mpg+. The handling can be improved with decent rear shocks (OE ones are cr*p) and this allows you to exploit the performance in full.

There was a feature in the Moto Guzzi club magazine about one that had clocked over 100,000 miles with negligible issues.

It depends what you are looking for. They are great if you like characterful bikes like Guzzis but I appreciate not everyone does :)

Jon
Selous

Post by Selous »

My 10p worth, im 5ft 4 my Bike for touring is Bandit 1250, 2011 mine came with, fitted panniers and topbox, (i remove box touring as use otleib), and full fairing, been round france and germany plus other places, only mods done K & N,air filter, scotoiler and fitted socket and hard wired twat nav.

2 years a go my mrs, (taller than me), passed her test, got her a SV650, because the bike test place had Bandit 650 or sv650, Bandit too hevy for her, but SV she can do the wheel the bike around into car park, (aparently part of new test?), once passed 7 days later with throw over panniers we where in france, this year got her a new Gladius she loves it, im sure either would do the trick, only mods done K & N oiler and heated bars hardwirerd twat nav.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
orath

Post by orath »

Godspeed wrote:Have you thought about the Honda CB500x?

Physically it's fairly low, and could be lowered further i'm sure, the engine is very economical, I've been returning an average of 82mpg over the last 1000 miles. It's got a nice ride position, and most come complete with Hondas side and rear panniers/ cases. It'll easily cruise at 70mph with plenty available for overtakes.
Price wise I've seen good low mileage examples of only a couple of years old for less that 4K

Maybe worth considering.....
image_2016-08-02.jpeg
I would second this. Lowering links can be had for this bike too, I even spoke to a lady who was just 5ft and managed this bike fine.

Stock it's a tidy bike that sounds like it fits your requirements. Then the Rally Raid level 1 suspension upgrades improve the handling on the road (and obviously off road) if you feel like you need it but without raising the seat height.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Return to “BIKES”