KTM 950,990,1050 or 1190 ?

The Things We Ride
Sudsy

Re: KTM 950,990,1050 or 1190 ?

Post by Sudsy »

Hi,
In reply to your post: re "airbox, heat and rear tyre wear"

Airbox:
I have a 2014 KTM 1190 Adv and had an issue with the airbox. I had a total of 5000km on the clock and after going off road for the first time and travelling in a convoy, on flat dusty roads, for a mere 75km my bike refused to start. Put it on a trailer and took it straight back to my dealer. On inspection the inside of the airbox was found to be heavily coated with a thick layer of fine dust. On closer inspection we could see clumps of mud on top of the valves. The OEM filter was so clogged with dust that it just fell out even when it was gently handled. End result was that the dust had caused major engine damage. After some discussions, the dealer did the right thing and replaced the damaged bike with a brand new one. The new bike came fitted with an after market Unifilter kit. I was a bit sceptical because, as you mentioned, there was some speculation that the problem was the box itself, not the filter. I have just clicked over 30,000km since I took possession of the replacement bike. I have done at least 2000km on dusty roads and after every dusty ride I have stripped the bike down to inspect the airbox for dust. I am pleased to say that the unifilter has performed exceptionally well with no hint of dust in the induction side of the box. The success of the after market replacement filter would suggest that the OEM filter was inferior rather than the airbox design. Don't get me wrong, I think the airbox design is a bit ordinary and flimsy but I don't believe that it was the cause of dust getting into the engine on my bike.

Heat:
Riding in the Aussie summer I found the heat rising onto my inside upper legs was sometimes almost unbearable. Heat level was different depending on what type of gear I wore, leather, textile or kevlar lined jeans. Everyone who rode my bike during hot weather commented on the excess heat to their upper legs. I tossed up whether to ceramic coat the exhaust or fit a set of Wings heat shields. I eventually opted for the Wings heat shields and have been pleasantly surprised at how efficient they have worked to deflect heat away from the rider. Heat rise is now no longer an issue for me.

Rear tyre wear:
Rear tyre wear can be improved by reducing excessive right hand twist coming out of corners .... tic

Comment:
I am very happy with this bike now that a few niggling issues have been addressed. KTM must be aware of the poor performance of the OEM airbox filter and heat problems so why are we, as purchasers, forced to fit after market parts to overcome design and manufacturing problems which could easily be negated with a bit of smart design and implementation during manufacture?
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Thanks once again folks, I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a 990r (thumbs) but then it depends what's about in August ;) B)
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Rear tyre wear - its a 1200 cc 160 bhp bike, what do you want? :laugh:

Airbox - not has a different top, much more sturdy than previous

Heat - rear header is now same as 1290SA ie sleeved unlike previous MY.. My 950 was far far hotter (I have a M.Y.16 1190R)

I think the issue with the airbox is actually due to the design of the trumpets. They are right open to the front of the bike with no protection. At speed and with the OEM air filter particles can go right in there. I put the wizards hat foam oil filters in the passageways and kept the stock paper filter as the foam one leads to some power loss (like i need 160 bhp :laugh: )
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Shock horror :ohmy: had a go on Andy's 1190r when we we're in France recently, didn't really get on with it, I found it very noisy, but probably just the after market screen. the seat was rock hard and as for the blast furnace your sitting on :unsure: I had it set on the 100bhp to try and mimic the 1050 all a bit twitchy at 6000 rpm, plenty of grunt and well balanced but not for me, so how different is the 950/990, really liked Mikes SE (thumbs)
Big Zed

Post by Big Zed »

Hello Stewie. So how is life going?
As for the bike choice, well remember my 950? I still have it. My tuppence worth......

All three bikes are good, each is an improvement over the last. Each has its own issues and also its own focus. So as with every other bike choice the answer to which is best is partly down to the use and lifestyle of the owner.

Also how the bike will be maintained and abused has an input. In very general terms the more abuse you are going to put the bike through the further back in time model wise you should go. A lot will argue, but put simply as they have got more complicated they have become harder to fix when something goes wrong. They all have their foibles and no one model is in truth any less or more reliable than the others. How the bike is used and the abuse it gets is the biggest factor to how long something lasts. I make this statement having been in a few KTM dealerships worldwide and worked with the shop mechanics.

Vaguely remembering how and where you ride I would suggest the 950/990 is your better weapon. I think you will just feel more involved with the machine than you will with a more polished later 1050/1190. They are good bikes in their own right but in truth an entirely different animal to the earlier models. And despite how much some will protest they are road bikes first. Very, very capable on the dirt, but still road bikes. The older models were not and that is why they have some limitations on the road. Still very capable road bikes but not their real home.

Now I am biased about carbs are for very specific reasons. Which for probably 90% of those on this forum are not relevant. So grab either a 950 or a 990 and thrash it. Only you will answer your own carb/efi questions.

As I said, remember mine? well its somewhere up in the 70,000 mile area, I am not sure where as the speedo packed up ages ago. It still works, has been used very aggressively as intended and is still a strong bike. It has been places and had abuse that is way more than most bikes its age. It will also sometime in the future get me up to Alaska. I still trust it enough and have no qualms putting it through a trip of that scale.

I know there are newer, faster, more comfortable, more economical and more fashionable bikes out there. But I also know for me there isn't a better bike for the use I put it to.

Take care mate.

Oh one last ting as I am all excited about remembering my password for this place. I was in the sticks with a very capable 1190 rider for a day. The bike was incredible to watch. It went everywhere we did with ease. The chap spent most of the day bouncing it over the rocks and jumping any small rise. The power was easy to see and in his opinion easy to use, he is however a regional level enduro rider. At the end of the day we talked as he asked if I wanted to try it. I wasn't bothered but asked his opinion. He said great bike, far too easy to ride off road as it has so much power. For him it made it the bike of choice on lazy days. When he wanted to really play he would take out his more focused smaller bikes.

Return to “BIKES”