Too expensive to use?

The Things We Ride
captinktm

Too expensive to use?

Post by captinktm »

Just reading the test on the Ducati Multistada enduro and one comment has me scratching my head. On the question of it's off road ability the man says it's heavy etc but is anyone going to take a 17k bike off road anyway? This is crazy surely, why buy a bike of this design then. There are plenty of super tourers out there which cost a lot lessand do a better job on the road. So is the offroad ness of these super adventure bikes irrelevant?
He also says that maybe when the bike is being used it's 3 0r 4th owner maybe then it will be taken offroad, but by then all the electronics will be knackered so they had best be ready for 160 bhp.
Mosel Bikes

Re: Too expensive to use?

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Good points, well made. Crazy - to me anyway. I think it smacks of the 'looks the part but will never be the part' folk who buy this type and price of bike (and usually the gear to go with it). That's fine of course, if that's their thing. I'm with you, better to go for a half-the-price road-only bike.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Does anybody actually think that people who buy a 17k Ducati have any intention of getting it muddy...think Porsche 4 x 4 thing.

It nothing more than an exercise in styling and a way to portray an image rather than anything that people will use.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I suppose I'd sooner have that Ducati than a bland sports tourer.
Some folk just can't live with having the "cooking version" of a bike.....they "need" the GSA rather than a GS or a Multistrada Enduro rather than just a Multistrada.
I wouldn't have one, way too expensive, way too powerful and way too pretty to take off Tarmac.
I wouldn't mind having a blast on one though.....with no come back on me if I binned it.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Mike101 wrote:Does anybody actually think that people who buy a 17k Ducati have any intention of getting it muddy...think Porsche 4 x 4 thing.

It nothing more than an exercise in styling and a way to portray an image rather than anything that people will use.

Mike
Didntyou post a while back about not using a ktm off road because of it getting muddy??

If it was the bike I wanted and was happy to pay 17k I'd certainly use it off Road after all its what it was marketed as.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Oh and he's back...thought you died in a ditch somewhere!!

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Mike101 wrote:Does anybody actually think that people who buy a 17k Ducati have any intention of getting it muddy...think Porsche 4 x 4 thing.

Mike
hi mike, my sister has a porsche 4x4, she cant even get off road tyres for it because of the size of the wheels and it not even got a towbar, but she drive it across the polo field at sunningdale once by accident

steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

SteveW wrote:I suppose I'd sooner have that Ducati than a bland sports tourer.
Some folk just can't live with having the "cooking version" of a bike.....they "need" the GSA rather than a GS or a Multistrada Enduro rather than just a Multistrada.
I wouldn't have one, way too expensive, way too powerful and way too pretty to take off Tarmac.
I wouldn't mind having a blast on one though.....with no come back on me if I binned it.
best off road vehicle in the world is someone elses, esp hire cars with the extra insurance.

steve
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Mike101 wrote:Oh and he's back...thought you died in a ditch somewhere!!

Mike
:laugh:
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

bond_yzf wrote:

Mike
Didntyou post a while back about not using a ktm off road because of it getting muddy??

If it was the bike I wanted and was happy to pay 17k I'd certainly use it off Road after all its what it was marketed as.
I agree, after paying that I would have to use it for it's intended purpose. But it's crazy money for something you still get wet on!

Return to “BIKES”