The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

The Things We Ride
robson
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:49 am

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by robson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:35 pm

motorbike wrote:i think by march you should be picking these up from dealers around the high £7 k mark..and the crf250l for about £2.5...due to the new models...just a feeling
but I think old crf250l will keep its value well because the new one is more street oriented,
less ground clearance, less fork travel etc. I wouldn't change mine fro 2017 for sure.

Pre-order your limited edition ABR T-shirts
Trev
Posts: 997
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 am
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:58 pm

motorbike wrote:i think by march you should be picking these up from dealers around the high £7 k mark..and the crf250l for about £2.5...due to the new models...just a feeling
Hope you're right as I've been unable to shake of the 'I want another bike' bug since riding a couple earlier in the year. I got very close to shaking hands on a deal on two occasions, both Honda main dealers, they were less than 2k miles, immaculate condition, just under £10k. On both occasions the dealers would hardly budge on a deal, £150 off + heated grips thrown in was the best I was offered. I left number with both dealers to call me if they changed their minds but both had sold within a few weeks so I assume the dealer got at least pretty close to what they wanted.

I think too few around, especially in DCT, for them to have to drop much in 2016 but hopefully with the 2017 version on the way there will be a few 'old' version coming up at the sort of price you suggest (thumbs)

fozzy17
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by fozzy17 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Well guy some of you might remember a friend of mine giving his Africa twin back due to the build quality..

well me other friend who bought the Africa twin the same time decided to get a new set of wheels from Honda rather than return it, and hes done 300 miles with new wheels, the new wheels are rusting after 300 miles, hes phoned his Honda dealer this morning and rang Honda themselves to tell them he wants his money back they can have it back, Honda denied there are any issues with the wheels and overall build quality, he called the woman a liar because hes read this forum and his mate has issues with his..

now before we get the idiot,s who say its a off road bike just ride it, that is besides the point, I think most people would be gutted if your bike which is only done a few thousand miles and started rusting would be pissed, the guy who owns the bike does do trial and enduro and has other adventure bikes

Richard Simpson
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:30 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by Richard Simpson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Is it really rust.

I suspect that many of the 'problems' with spokes going 'rusty' are caused by an accumulation of hot metal particles from the brakes.

The backs of the spokes on my KTM's front wheel are still bright, although the fronts are crusty.

On the rear wheel, the spokes on the drive-side are still bright.

In the world of trucks, when disc brakes came in those vehicles that were fitted with uncoated light ally wheels had the wheels pit and tarnish...caused by hot metallic brake dust.

Helicoptermanr22
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:43 am
Location: Portishead
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by Helicoptermanr22 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Well guy some of you might remember a friend of mine giving his Africa twin back due to the build quality.

I did after 900 miles.. got my money back,I thought after a year if I wanted to sell it they would be knackered and unsaleable and I would have to fork out for new rims.

Pitted and almost like acid burns on spokes and rusty water running out of the headstock bearings creating notchiness.

Heated grips were dreadful and switch far to easy to break which it did.

However I would buy another one when they have solved those issues...

fozzy17
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by fozzy17 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:50 pm

The 2017 AT I have heard is supposed to come with ss spokes and other issues with some of the bolts used, and general build quality

fozzy17
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by fozzy17 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Richard Simpson wrote:Is it really rust.

I suspect that many of the 'problems' with spokes going 'rusty' are caused by an accumulation of hot metal particles from the brakes.

The backs of the spokes on my KTM's front wheel are still bright, although the fronts are crusty.

On the rear wheel, the spokes on the drive-side are still bright.

In the world of trucks, when disc brakes came in those vehicles that were fitted with uncoated light ally wheels had the wheels pit and tarnish...caused by hot metallic brake dust.

No it's rust, caused by spokes that you wouldn't put on a cheap Chinese pit bike, and plenty of the nuts and bolts, Honda are cutting corners, they used to be known for quality , I have a sp1 build quality is second to none, not the AT

robson
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:49 am

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by robson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:13 pm

wonder how much money honda saved putting cheap spokes an bolts vs how much they'll lose having to replace them not to mention tarnished reputation... Is it really worthy? or economy is that bad in Japan today.

Andy A
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by Andy A » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:37 am

robson wrote:wonder how much money honda saved putting cheap spokes an bolts vs how much they'll lose having to replace them no to mention tarnished reputation... Is it really worthy? or economy is that bad in Japan today.
Everybody is cutting corners, its the modern way for mass production !! I have heard of quite a few GS having engines changed under warranty for corrosion reasons and and they are flipping expensive. its going to be built down to a price because its not an expensive adv bike

Emf#53
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:20 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by Emf#53 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:54 pm

Andy A wrote:
robson wrote:wonder how much money honda saved putting cheap spokes an bolts vs how much they'll lose having to replace them no to mention tarnished reputation... Is it really worthy? or economy is that bad in Japan today.
Everybody is cutting corners, its the modern way for mass production !! I have heard of quite a few GS having engines changed under warranty for corrosion reasons and and they are flipping expensive. its going to be built down to a price because its not an expensive adv bike
It's a numbers game nowadays:

X to produce a bike made of high quality materials and not likely to need anything replacing

Y to produce a lower quality (cheaper) bike

Z a relative few people demand bits replacing on the Y bike

If Y + Z is cheaper than X then guess what they're going to build!

It's like Amazon - if they try and deliver 100 parcels and 15 of those people are out then they leave those 15 parcels on the doorstep/with a neighbour etc. Most of those 15 parcels will reach the person in the end. Of the few that don't then Amazon will have to replace at their cost - but the cost of doing that is still cheaper (on average)than trying to re-deliver those 15 parcels - therefore it's a more cost effective model to take the chance with the 15 parcels than paying to try and re-deliver.

Post Reply

Return to “BIKES”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 246 guests