The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

The Things We Ride
bond_yzf

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by bond_yzf »

Me?

I know as much as you
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

bond_yzf wrote:Me?

I know as much as you
Good, but then why ask for an explanation?
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

To see how much you actually know??
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

bond_yzf wrote:To see how much you actually know??
I can use Wikipedia as well as the next person.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

From Wikipedia.
Steel is an alloy of iron and other elements, primarily carbon, that is widely used in construction and other applications due of its high tensile strength and low cost. Steel's base metal is iron, which is able to take on two crystalline forms (allotropic forms), body centered cubic (BCC) and face centered cubic (FCC), depending on its temperature. It is the interaction of those allotropes with the alloying elements, primarily carbon, that gives steel and cast iron their range of unique properties. In the body-centred cubic arrangement, there is an iron atom in the centre of each cube, and in the face-centred cubic, there is one at the center of each of the six faces of the cube. Carbon, other elements, and inclusions within iron act as hardening agents that prevent the movement of dislocations that otherwise occur in the crystal lattices of iron atoms.

The carbon in typical steel alloys may contribute up to 2.1% of its weight. Varying the amount of alloying elements, their presence in the steel either as solute elements, or as precipitated phases, retards the movement of those dislocations that make iron comparatively ductile and weak, and thus controls its qualities such as the hardness, ductility, and tensile strength of the resulting steel. Steel's strength compared to pure iron is only possible at the expense of iron's ductility, of which iron has an excess.

Wow, that was so much easier that going to the college library trying to find the information from some frigging 1970's book on metallurgy. Mind you we had fun mucking about with the testing machinery. Easy to jam up the Izod test machine when testing soft metals. Can be a bit tricky to explain to the tutor why you got a lump of brass jamming his machine. I bet its been done a million times by students. :laugh: :laugh:

For aluminium casting grades, http://www.mid-atlanticcasting.com/alum ... _FEB05.pdf is a good start.

People think of metal materials as a lump of stuff. But the grain structure and composition can be interesting to study. Makes you really appreciate how far we have come from the industrial revolution to the modern industrial world. From steam to Mars in such a short time. Amazing!

Sorry if this is a bit nerdy. :unsure:

PS, The fool that placed a fuse holder in such an inaccessible location needs a kick up the arse. How the hell did this get past user testing by Honda? A fuse is a user replaceable part and should be accessible and replaceable in minutes.
sohoeasy

Post by sohoeasy »

Mr D Knight last Saturday in Wales, Impressively gunned this bike around a Moto X track (thumbs)
DSC_0088.jpg
DSC_0088.jpg (62.48 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
I was surprised the headers didn't cook up red in all that baking clay ? :)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

and the front mudguard is still attached :whistle:
Spout

Post by Spout »

daytona-supersport wrote:
PS, The fool that placed a fuse holder in such an inaccessible location needs a kick up the arse. How the hell did this get past user testing by Honda? A fuse is a user replaceable part and should be accessible and replaceable in minutes.
I can honestly say, that in nearly 40 years of biking, with dozens of bikes, I've never yet had to change a fuse.

A complete, badly melted, wiring loom, yes.

But a fuse, no. (thumbs)
robson

Post by robson »

Nigel wrote:and the front mudguard is still attached :whistle:
just for the picture taking.
moto al

Post by moto al »

Hi boys, & girls, a 6500 report on the new AT.over too U .Al
image_2016-07-09-4.png
image_2016-07-09-4.png (666.91 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
image_2016-07-09.jpeg
image_2016-07-09.jpeg (132.85 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
Sorry I don't know the best resolution
moto al

Return to “BIKES”