The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

The Things We Ride
Q plate

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by Q plate »

Cupslice-27112016125022.jpeg
Cupslice-27112016125022.jpeg (216.16 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
;)
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I see a good number of low milage examples for sale, are many owners dissapointed with them?.
They did have a hell of a lot of hype to live up to, perhaps some got a bit over - excited and made impulse purchase?

I know it's hard to criticise something you spent a year or three of your disposable income on, but it would be interesting to hear comments from those that sold after a few K miles.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I think you find the with any bike, always amazes me how or why people swop or sell bikes so often and/or with so little mileage on.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I think you see that with big Adv bikes generally.

People buy them in the expectation that it will be like a Fireblade on the road and they will be able to ride it like David Knight off the road.

Then they topple off it on their gravel driveway, do £1000-worth of cosmetic damage, and go and buy a Triumph twin.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

People buy most things based on the image conjured up in their mind of what they could do with it or it could do to fulfil their dreams.... no more so than with cars and bikes. Sadly the reality is 'normal' life just gets in the way and many bikes, cars, projects, unused overland bikes etc end up being a reluctant sale rather than a fault of the item itself.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
robson

Post by robson »

honda over-advertised africa twin so customers fell in love with imaginary bike.
After the purchase or wedding reality usually strikes.
Trev

Post by Trev »

TBH I'm not sure there are a glut of second hand AT's on the market or at least if there are it's not effecting prices much. I've been keeping an eye out for a DCT at a decent price (would prefer low price to low miles) and a) they don't come up much b) when they do they seem to hold up pretty well with dealers reluctant to do much in the way of a deal as they know they'll sell them.

Perhaps when the 'next best thing' comes along to tempt those who must have the latest kit a few more will come onto the market and I'll be tempted to prise the cash out of my wallet :unsure:
thepav

Post by thepav »

I agree with Trev. Few AT's around cheap and not many around. Even a Super Tenere seems to be holding its price despite the competition.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

thepav wrote:I agree with Trev. Few AT's around cheap and not many around. Even a Super Tenere seems to be holding its price despite the competition.
Just because they're listed at those prices doesn't mean they sell at those prices. Ditto Super Tens and in fact anything else.
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

i think by march you should be picking these up from dealers around the high £7 k mark..and the crf250l for about £2.5...due to the new models...just a feeling

Return to “BIKES”