The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

The Things We Ride
fozzy17

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by fozzy17 »

Well me other mate took his AT bike to th dealer this Saturday gone and had a refund, not fit for purpose, that's two bikes gone back, both bought at the same time, they had another two 16 plates there in the showroom, makes you wonder, he had crash bars and a Honda low seat and a front mudgaurd, if anyone is interested pm me and I will give you his mobile.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Its a real shame. lovely bike and rides really well . hopefully the 17 model has these issues sorted, Fowlers tell me they had..
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

could you tell me...is there an issue with the gearbox....jumping out of gears and false neutrals/he rust stuff canbe replaced...by honda...but wouldnt want a mechanic to rebuild a gearbox
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Pretty much every Honda motorcycle gearbox is like that in my experience...if you want a nice gearbox, buy a six-speed Suzuki.
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

bit of a sweeping statement i never recalled any probs with previous xrv .xr or vtr and transalps that i owned in the past...i have negotiated a deal against my nearly new tenere for a similar mileage n age new AT...sweating it a bit ...all opinions welcome
robson

Post by robson »

motorbike wrote:could you tell me...is there an issue with the gearbox....jumping out of gears and false neutrals/he rust stuff canbe replaced...by honda...but wouldnt want a mechanic to rebuild a gearbox
me neither.
Originally Posted by Ian Bean View Post

I had mine jump out of 6th on the freeway. Hit neutral which I have never experienced on any other bike.Only happened once so maybe I didn't engage it properly. Haven't ridden since hopefully not an issue. Other than that gearbox very smooth.
That is strange , mine have jumped out of gear 3 times in 2500 miles , i initially thought that it was me not pushing the gear in fully but then it did it again , after roughly 1000 miles the problem dissapeared so i was thinking the gearbox is fully broken in , but then last saturday it did it again in 4 gear , it was pulling then it jumped out of gear so the revs vent right up and then it poped back in the gear on its own , never seen this on any of my previous bikes . Dealer does not believe me of course .
http://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/17 ... ems-2.html
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

a bit scary...wonder just how common it is
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Everything on the internet is scary. Real life one can deal with...
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Could be a one off but definatly wants looking into before it either causes an accident or runs out of warennty/the owner gets the blame.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Silly dual-clutch transmission to blame?

Return to “BIKES”