The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

The Things We Ride
AndyB

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by AndyB »

Serious question Al.

Are you happy with the bike and the way Honda have dealt with any issues and would you still buy it if you could turn the clock back?

I'm only asking because much as I loved riding my Multistrada it just wore me down to the point where I got rid earlier than I intended and I'm much happier with the 1190 KTM.
moto al

Post by moto al »

AndyB wrote:Serious question Al.

Are you happy with the bike and the way Honda have dealt with any issues and would you still buy it if you could turn the clock back?

I'm only asking because much as I loved riding my Multistrada it just wore me down to the point where I got rid earlier than I intended and I'm much happier with the 1190 KTM.
hi andy ,this is the first bike Iv purchased without seeing in the flesh, only from pictures . Possibly I'm daft ,only time will tell. Iv had a few issues with the bike. To be fair my local Honda dealer have been first class, the only fly in the ointment have been Honda GB ,they are a joke of a company to deal with. I love the bike even with its faults, I only hope the sort out problems before it becomes a litacation issue Al (thumbs)
moto al
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

sohoeasy wrote:Mr D Knight last Saturday in Wales, Impressively gunned this bike around a Moto X track (thumbs)
DSC_0088.jpg
I have gunned it over the Ruttland rig last sunday , 4'th gear flat out it was fun while it lasted , first the number plate came off and then the front tyre " lost pressure " :pinch: did not get home till 3am , i would recommend heavy duty tubes and slime if you are planning to jump it and land it on some big rocks :silly:
moto al

Post by moto al »

Hi this was on the Africa twin forum, the bike has covered 900kms , Honda Australia said its down to weir and tear :whistle:
image_2016-07-16.png
image_2016-07-16.png (553.6 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
moto al
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

That's a build-up of metalic dust from the brake pads. If you don't wipe it off, it digs into the spokes and makes them go rusty. My KTM 950 looks just the same.

Some heavy trucks have polished, unlacquered forged aluminium wheels. When disc brakes first appeared on trucks, the wheels suffered from pitting which was down to hot metalic particles being abraded off the brakes and sticking to the wheels.

Alcoa now do a 'Durabrite' coating on their truck wheels.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

moto al wrote:Hi this was on the Africa twin forum, the bike has covered 900kms , Honda Australia said its down to weir and tear :whistle:
image_2016-07-16.png
As it`s down to WEIR and tear I presume it has been ridden through water? :side:
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

ZX Raziel wrote:
sohoeasy wrote:Mr D Knight last Saturday in Wales, Impressively gunned this bike around a Moto X track (thumbs)
DSC_0088.jpg
I have gunned it over the Ruttland rig last sunday , 4'th gear flat out it was fun while it lasted , first the number plate came off and then the front tyre " lost pressure " :pinch: did not get home till 3am , i would recommend heavy duty tubes and slime if you are planning to jump it and land it on some big rocks :silly:
on that subject, i jumped my cub into a big rock pile a few weeks back, followed a gravel road, up over a crest (in the air!) and SMASH!, landed on a pile of boulders and a dead end of the gravel road, lucky i wasnt on the gs, would have destoyed the wheel i think....
moto al

Post by moto al »

Today I fitted a givi quick release tankbag , has anyone use one ,and any comments . I also fitted a big foot ,with the help of Franco ,unfortunately you can't use a paddock stand due to the design of the swinging arm.
image_2016-07-16-4.jpeg
image_2016-07-16-4.jpeg (47.3 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
image_2016-07-16-5.jpeg
image_2016-07-16-5.jpeg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
image_2016-07-16-6.jpeg
image_2016-07-16-6.jpeg (93.89 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
moto al
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

moto al wrote:Hi this was on the Africa twin forum, the bike has covered 900kms , Honda Australia said its down to weir and tear :whistle:
image_2016-07-16.png
Mine looked like that after the first ride from the dealers ( roughly 20 miles ) , washed it and the next day I have noticed the damaged plating on one side of the spokes , all I know is that some bikes suffer from the same issue , some don't , stainless steel spokes don't suffer from cheap plating issues . ;)
moto al

Post by moto al »

ZX Raziel wrote:
image_2016-07-16.png
Mine looked like that after the first ride from the dealers ( roughly 20 miles ) , washed it and the next day I have noticed the damaged plating on one side of the spokes , all I know is that some bikes suffer from the same issue , some don't , stainless steel spokes don't suffer from cheap plating issues . ;)
Iv been told Honda know theirs an issue , and with 2 year warranty I'm not really pushing for new wheels at present . Cheers Al . And it's still a great bike.
moto al

Return to “BIKES”